Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Molding lines....What are they ??

primera man
10-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Seems to be a few who dont know what is meant be..."sanded the molding lines out". I know most of you do !! :smokin:
They are small lines which are mostly over the front and rear bumpers of kits.
At times these molding lines can run up through the front window pillars, along the roof and back down the rear pillar. They can even carry along the tops of guards.
To remove them just sand out with some 600/800 grit paper at first, followed by 1000 grit then a final sand with 2000 grit paper to make it all nice and smooth

I hope this well help out

First 2 pics shows it on a GTR32 Skyline

http://files.automotiveforums.com/img/962Dscf2348.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/img/581Dscf2350.jpg

Back bumper on a Honda

http://files.automotiveforums.com/img/706Dscf2351.jpg

This is a good example of older kits and how bad the lines can be.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/img/112Dscf2354.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/img/661Dscf2356.jpg

Jay!
10-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Great illustration!!

But always be careful and double-check your references!! Make sure it is a mold line you're about to remove and not a detail on the actual car. ;) :eek:

dag65
10-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Great illustration!!

But always be careful and double-check your references!! Make sure it is a mold line you're about to remove and not a detail on the actual car. ;) :eek:
Yes good idea, also a mold line is created where the pieces of the mold used to make the model come together. In more sever cases its called flash. You will usually find this in older kits that are reissued over and over, the mold begins to wear out and allow the plastic to seep out a little.

impreza2k2
10-17-2003, 05:59 PM
thanks for the tips! :icon16:

mike@af
10-17-2003, 06:23 PM
I must be lucky, my mold lines are never that bad.

Great tips P-Man for the new guys.

gasman03
10-17-2003, 06:30 PM
I always read people bitchen here about mold lines and flash on AMT kits, but you have to remember, most AMT kits are 30+ years old, thats why there alot flash in there kits, and it costs alot of money to make a new tool, I garentee if Tamiya reissues the Enzo at least 5 times over the next 20 years, it would contain alot of flash like AMT kits, like that Austin kit which is maybe 15-20 years old, and it shows it. so if you don't like mold lines and flash, go out and find original issues of kits. if you don't mind spending the money. Mold lines and flash arent a problem at all, a little sanding and some cutting there gone

hirofkd
10-17-2003, 07:14 PM
That's one evil but sound reason why don't put off buying new kits, and I keep piling up the stock of first edition kits. I recently bought an F40, and the slits on the side of the rear cowl was badly shaped, showing a mold damage.

Sebstar
10-17-2003, 10:14 PM
wow, thanks for that pman!
that answered my question to HOW to remove them :D

btw, can anyone tell me where the mold lines on the r34 V-Spec 2 are? I can't seem to locate them

Mustangman25
10-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I have the VSpec II kit, and from my knoweldge, there are none. This is mainly because of two reasons: The kit is a relativly new molding, so mold lines are ot a problem. The second reason is because of the way the kit is molded. Most mold lines are found on the bumpers of a car. By molding the bumpers seperatally on the tree, mold lines can be eliminated on the kit. HTH
Chuck

Sebstar
10-17-2003, 10:48 PM
ah sweet :D

ta

Headlight
10-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks Pman for your speedy response on the moulding lines. I really appreciate it.

-Headlight :D

Inquisitor
10-20-2003, 05:45 PM
The V-spec II actually has mold lines but they are hidden. From the front they run along the hood panel line, then the a-pillar, on the roof along those bulges, c-cpillar and the most visible ones are beside the trunk panel lines. At first sight they don't seem to be a problem but I recommend you remove them or when you polish the paint and it comes from this mold lines.

Tamiya has a rather predictable way when it comes to first edition and re-issue. Tamiya 95% of the times inject their first editions and a few early re-issues in Japan, check sides of the box and you'll see where it was made. Then after a while they ship their moulds to Phillipines for further re-issues.

It's noticeable the difference in casting and plastic quality between those made in Japan and Phillipines, specially old models which are quite worn out. I noticed this some years ago and have been hunting those early editions.

360spider
10-21-2003, 11:37 AM
I always read people bitchen here about mold lines and flash on AMT kits, but you have to remember, most AMT kits are 30+ years old, thats why there alot flash in there kits, and it costs alot of money to make a new tool, I garentee if Tamiya reissues the Enzo at least 5 times over the next 20 years, it would contain alot of flash like AMT kits, like that Austin kit which is maybe 15-20 years old, and it shows it. so if you don't like mold lines and flash, go out and find original issues of kits. if you don't mind spending the money. Mold lines and flash arent a problem at all, a little sanding and some cutting there gone

Oh, that's odd... I'm yet to see at least one Tamiya kit with flash, even 30 years old.... They just maintain their molds in good condition, and they actually spend money on keeping the tools almost as new (in addition to tooling new kits every year...)

Camber
10-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks pman, hey can I see a picture of the front bumper of that mugen integra? its differnt right?

scaleracecars
10-21-2003, 04:55 PM

WRONG!!!!
Tamiya just reissued the Porsche 956 which was first released in 83 or 84. No such problems with the new kits. Also the tools (molds) can be made from different types of metal. The harder the metal the more expensive it is to make. Tamiya, it seems uses a harder material than other manufacturers which is why their tools keep putting out first quality kits for a longer time. Or they care enough about quality to refurbish their tools from time to time.
David

gasman03
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Oh, that's odd... I'm yet to see at least one Tamiya kit with flash, even 30 years old.... They just maintain their molds in good condition, and they actually spend money on keeping the tools almost as new (in addition to tooling new kits every year...)

AMT molds where basically sent around the world, from the US, the China, back to the US, then back to china, they get the shit beaten out of them. plus, AMT makes twice the number of kits from a tool then Tamiya does.

Tamiya just reissued the Porsche 956 which was first released in 83 or 84. No such problems with the new kits. Also the tools (molds) can be made from different types of metal. The harder the metal the more expensive it is to make. Tamiya, it seems uses a harder material than other manufacturers which is why their tools keep putting out first quality kits for a longer time. Or they care enough about quality to refurbish their tools from time to time.

yea, released in 83-84, most AMT kits molds where made from the mid 60's early 70's. Tamiya also has the $$$$$$ to maintain and refurbish the molds, money that AMT does'nt have.

scaleracecars
10-21-2003, 07:49 PM
AMT molds where basically sent around the world, from the US, the China, back to the US, then back to china, they get the shit beaten out of them. plus, AMT makes twice the number of kits from a tool then Tamiya does.

yea, released in 83-84, most AMT kits molds where made from the mid 60's early 70's. Tamiya also has the $$$$$$ to maintain and refurbish the molds, money that AMT does'nt have.

I would think good pckaging would take care of the beating problem.
How many kits does AMT make from a tool? How many kits does Tamiya make from a tool? Just curious. I am kind of funny that way.

You said 20 years in your previous post. The math tells me the Tamiya kit is 20 years +- a few months.
Maybe Tamiya has the money but who is at fault for the condition of the AMT tools? Could it be that we just get the same old shit in a different box every few years? No wonder no one want to pay more than $10.00 for a AMT kit.

You do realize that we are in a global economy and the whole world is not filled with AMT and Revell kits. We tend to keep most of the trash at home. Even Revell of Germany know enough to borrow tools from the Japenese manufacturers.

gasman03
10-21-2003, 08:06 PM
take it like this, every single Wal-Mart has AMT kits. also, Tamiya quality control is SO much better then AMT's, I've gotten AMT kits that have had the wrong body's and glass in them. I don't know exact numbers, i'm guessing at least 20,000 in a run, and that a guess.

there's ALOT of stuff AMT should reissue, like there Subaru Brat, Dodge Stealth, Chevy Berretta, early 90 IROC-Z Camaro's, alot of the old MPC kits, plus a ton of other stuff which AMT has, but won't reissue for some unknown reason

Look at Aoshsimo (I can never spell that) which has reboxed the AMT Supra,

scaleracecars
10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
take it like this, every single Wal-Mart has AMT kits. also, Tamiya quality control is SO much better then AMT's, I've gotten AMT kits that have had the wrong body's and glass in them. I don't know exact numbers, i'm guessing at least 20,000 in a run, and that a guess.

there's ALOT of stuff AMT should reissue, like there Subaru Brat, Dodge Stealth, Chevy Berretta, early 90 IROC-Z Camaro's, alot of the old MPC kits, plus a ton of other stuff which AMT has, but won't reissue for some unknown reason

Well, Rumor has it a new tool casts around $20,000 to produce. That would mean that $10.00 of each kit from a first run would have to go to the tool plus the actual manufacturing costs.Then there is shippping to distributors who have to add something to the cost of a kit for their services. The hobby shop then purchases the kit and has to add to the cost of the kit for their services. I think you are underestimating the number of kits by a WIDE margin.

360spider
10-22-2003, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=scaleracecars]Well, Rumor has it a new tool casts around $20,000 to produce. [QUOTE]
I actually heard more than that - about $200,000 I know that Tamiya spend almost $500,000 for the Enzo tool.

gasman03
10-22-2003, 06:29 PM
I ment reissueing a kit, about 20grand, licencing, located molds, styrene, I'm won't be surpised if the enzo cam near 750,000, but they had ALOT of help from Ferrari to do that kit. so i'm guessing around 4-500,000,

scaleracecars
10-22-2003, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=scaleracecars]Well, Rumor has it a new tool casts around $20,000 to produce. [QUOTE]
I actually heard more than that - about $200,000 I know that Tamiya spend almost $500,000 for the Enzo tool.

Typo. I meant to type 200,000. Anyway just as I figured a lot of 20,000 models does not even come close to making a return on an investment. I would expect a mold has to produce in the range of 100,000 plus models to make any money at all for a manufacturer.

gasman03
10-22-2003, 06:43 PM
I know I won't be the only here who would hope to see this reissued

http://www.punkoo.com/ebay/DCP03707.JPG

BTW, it does come with stock parts, a great old MPC kit last seen in the mid 80's, AMT bought MPC in the late 90's, and I can garrentee that AMT has this mold in the warehouse

blueboost
10-22-2003, 06:50 PM
P-man is just trying to rub it in that I completely missed the mold line on the FRONT bumper of my NISMO R32. I should be banned. Im ashamed. :twak:

360spider
10-22-2003, 06:50 PM
I know I won't be the only here who would hope to see this reissued

http://www.punkoo.com/ebay/DCP03707.JPG

BTW, it does come with stock parts, a great old MPC kit last seen in the mid 80's, AMT bought MPC in the late 90's, and I can garrentee that AMT has this mold in the warehouse
I think I've seen this kit couple times on eBay, pretty cheap.

scaleracecars
10-22-2003, 07:18 PM

Wal-Mart is not know for having the best products but the cheapest.
They probably don't reissue these kits because the tools are worn out, missing parts, not wanted by enough people etc...
This is a little like the hobby shop only kits sold by Testors and others in a similar fashion. They are hobby shop only items because in most cases they are re-issued kitsmade from worn out molds that almost resemble the kits they once were. In any case a store like Wal-Mart would have most of them returned because they suck. A hobby shop on the other hand can warn the buyer of the problems and as a rule the novice model builder does not shop at a hobby shop but a Wal-Mart for models. More experienced model builders however do tend to lean toward making purchases from a hobby store because that is where the paints and other suppliers are.

gasman03
10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
They probably don't reissue these kits because the tools are worn out, missing parts, not wanted by enough people etc...

Not wanted by enoughpeop , hmmmm, then why would Revell make new kits of cars like the 40 Ford, and the 29 Ford Rat Rod, there's a whole other area of the hobby, and all these people build are muscle cars and street Rods. If you ever go to a model car contest that a club or a hobby store has orginized, you will notice that pre-1970 stuff out number everything else. the most recent show I was at there where only two "import" style cars, and one was mine, there where about 100 models at the show.

and these tools are not "worn out", they where only reissued once or twice and seen with the last ten years, I doubt if anything was lost when they shipped everything over to China

A hobby store will never dis a kit, there maken money, the only why theyed dis a kit is if another manufactuer has a better kit thats more expensive. I've bought well over 200 kits in my lifetime and have never been told when buying a kit that the kit is bad.

scaleracecars
10-22-2003, 09:35 PM
Not wanted by enoughpeop , hmmmm, then why would Revell make new kits of cars like the 40 Ford, and the 29 Ford Rat Rod, there's a whole other area of the hobby, and all these people build are muscle cars and street Rods. If you ever go to a model car contest that a club or a hobby store has orginized, you will notice that pre-1970 stuff out number everything else. the most recent show I was at there where only two "import" style cars, and one was mine, there where about 100 models at the show.

and these tools are not "worn out", they where only reissued once or twice and seen with the last ten years, I doubt if anything was lost when they shipped everything over to China

A hobby store will never dis a kit, there maken money, the only why theyed dis a kit is if another manufactuer has a better kit thats more expensive. I've bought well over 200 kits in my lifetime and have never been told when buying a kit that the kit is bad.

Well as a store owner I disagree. Please look at this description of a kit I received a couple of weeks ago.
poor quality kit (http://www.scaleracecars.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=reji2406&Category_Code=NEW124)
I have done everything to discourage most people from buying this kit. It is probably not as bad as I have described. The fact is I try not to sell people products they will be dissapointed with. If I get some in that are questionable I will say so. I think it is the right thing to do. My customers know when they buy something from me it is a quality product unless I say otherwise. This is good business and the plastic companies should stop reissuing kits with excessive flash and out of alignment tools. This just makes them look bad.
As for most models being pre 70's I think that is understandable. The vast majority of kits are pre 70's cars. Also most hobby shops in the US do not carry a wide selection of foreign made kits and foreign subjects.

I can not answer the queston about why Revell or any other company would make new kits of the cars you mentioned. I can say that after all of the begging and pleading for another Ala Kart we finally get a new tool and there are still fit/scale/other problems with it.

I really don't know where this is going but I do understand that AMT is your favorite kit maker bcause of the subjects and not the quality of the product. I guess I am lucky that I like Tamiya kits because of the subjects and the quality.

David
Scale Race Cars (http://scaleracecars.com)

Add your comment to this topic!