Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

306 diesel problems

trumpet
10-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Hiya,

First post - I've got a 306 XLD here, which has been kinda problematic since I got it. It's slow, smokey, and not too keen on starting when cold. I was changing the throttle cable earlier today, and I noticed that, when it was leaking diesel from the carb.

Now, this got me thinking - could this leak be the cause of its problems? I'd put most of its woes down to a worn engine (it's at 110K - not a massively high milage for a diesel - my dad's got a 205D, and it's done 150k and rising!), but I figure it could be down to a leak in the carb - it could be letting in too much air, degrading performance, producing white smoke, I guess...Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Cheers!

Kit

mechy1barry
11-13-2003, 02:18 PM
diesel?carb? solve the leaks,check your heater plugs one by one,check batt for power.check starter draw.if still same check timing.perhaps needs good service?

bobseptic
12-18-2003, 06:26 AM
Hiya,

First post - I've got a 306 XLD here, which has been kinda problematic since I got it. It's slow, smokey, and not too keen on starting when cold. I was changing the throttle cable earlier today, and I noticed that, when it was leaking diesel from the carb.

Now, this got me thinking - could this leak be the cause of its problems? I'd put most of its woes down to a worn engine (it's at 110K - not a massively high milage for a diesel - my dad's got a 205D, and it's done 150k and rising!), but I figure it could be down to a leak in the carb - it could be letting in too much air, degrading performance, producing white smoke, I guess...Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Cheers!

Kit

xld's are slow :screwy: . Well 1st things first, check your heater plugs, some people use the (bulb test) but that can be decieving because the plug may seem fine but not heat at the tip. Take them out and try them on the battery. They should glow well at the tip.

As for your leak that would let air in and can cause bad starting. it wouldnt be hard to break the fuel filter assembly by over tightening.

110k is not high milage if the car has been regularly serviced. My 306 has 150k and isnt breathing yet. :grinno:

put some redex diesel treatment in with the fuel if you havent done so already.

Add your comment to this topic!