Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aoshima Bomex Supra...repackaged AMT?

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-17-2003, 08:20 AM
I looked at Hobbysearch's page and picture of the Bomex Supra. Looks good, and full detail. Yet it looks identical to the AMT kit. Anyone know if it's repackaged? AMT and Aoshima have done this kind of swap before, on Lexus and DeLorean kits made by Aoshima and boxed as AMT.

phatmitsu
10-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Yup its a rebox.. I was checking out the aoshima shit and there is a pic of the amt box on there for the bomex supra.. I was excited about the kit till i seen it was a rebox.. Oh well.. Later Rick S

Honoturtle
10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Well, it's not official folks, that the Aoshima and AMT Ertl Toyota Supra are the exact same kits, just different decals.. :( What a sad day it is huh?
Hobby Search - Aoshima Supra (http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=102&Typ2_c=106&Typ3_c=118&SPage=1&SC=392&SN=Autos+1%2F24+%28Aoshima%29&It_c=10034077&andor=0&scope=0&scope2=0&thumb=1&sortID=1&urikire=1&sort_sort=0&ItKey=&app_url=shop_right_e.asp)

gasman03
10-22-2003, 07:46 PM
knew about this for a couple months, this is maybe AMT trying to get more oversea's money. I have no real clue why they did this

ShOrtyOC714
10-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Well, it's not official folks, that the Aoshima and AMT Ertl Toyota Supra are the exact same kits, just different decals.. :( What a sad day it is huh?
Hobby Search - Aoshima Supra (http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=102&Typ2_c=106&Typ3_c=118&SPage=1&SC=392&SN=Autos+1%2F24+%28Aoshima%29&It_c=10034077&andor=0&scope=0&scope2=0&thumb=1&sortID=1&urikire=1&sort_sort=0&ItKey=&app_url=shop_right_e.asp)
I really dont care, but i wish they would at leaste freakin fix the front kit! iT LOOKS LIKES A BOX! and it is soposed to be round. I wonder how the Aoshima Nismo SkylineR34 looks.

Kasso
10-22-2003, 10:08 PM
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/plamo/index_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=102
for some reason, this looks almost identical to the fast and the furious supra. and its 1/25 too!!

XspudX
10-22-2003, 10:12 PM
I am anxiously awaiting to see what Aoshima's version of the R34 will look like. Hopefully they will do the 4 door R34 GTS thats on the D1. :naughty:

freakray
10-22-2003, 10:14 PM
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/plamo/index_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=102
for some reason, this looks almost identical to the fast and the furious supra. and its 1/25 too!!

And your thread looks almost identical to this:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=145714

:disappoin

sugarcaddy
10-22-2003, 10:17 PM
OMG!!

That is so funny :lol2: and so sad at the same time :uhoh::nono:
Why the hell would Aoshima re-box an AMT kit?? AGH!!!!! And I was looking forward to it to boot. Funny because Im building the AMT Supra right now! :banghead: :screwy:
Well lets hope the new Skyline they are coming out with looks good and not some off brand no name company re-box. Gesh Aoshima what were you thinking???

Scott

Kasso
10-22-2003, 10:24 PM
oo shit... my bad!!! didnt see it til now.

Kasso
10-22-2003, 10:29 PM
ya its such a shame. my brother has the FATF supra. the fitment is terrible. and the freaking oilpan is oversized!!!!!!! it looks retarded on the 2JZ.

Modgod
10-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Thats why I never will buy Aoshima only tamiya and revell, but I still dont get it why COULDNT They fix the front! it looks as bad as the honda civic with a card board body kit

freakray
10-22-2003, 10:38 PM
oo shit... my bad!!! didnt see it til now.

:lol2:

Best reaction award for today

10-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Companies share molds more often than you think. It saves them a lot of money. I'm willing to bet my AMT Eclipse engine :icon16: that Revell and Tamiya got their Enzo molds from the same manufacturer. Same goes for their F50 and Testarossa. What they each chose to do after that was up to them.

Fixing that Supra front end would've cost them big bucks, money that they probably couldn't recoup with sales. Like it or not, as die-hard as many people are, they are still outnumbered by people who just don't care or don't even notice if the front is too square or whatever.

Honoturtle
10-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Companies share molds more often than you think. It saves them a lot of money. I'm willing to bet my AMT Eclipse engine :icon16: that Revell and Tamiya got their Enzo molds from the same manufacturer. Same goes for their F50 and Testarossa. What they each chose to do after that was up to them.

Fixing that Supra front end would've cost them big bucks, money that they probably couldn't recoup with sales. Like it or not, as die-hard as many people are, they are still outnumbered by people who just don't care or don't even notice if the front is too square or whatever.
Actually, I know for a fact that the Revell and Tamiya F50's are totally different kits as I own both. But maybe not the others...

exhaust smoke
10-23-2003, 04:15 AM
I never saw the initial thread, but...

YUK!! That is disgraceful! I was so looking forward to the Aoshima version, hoping that it would be an improvement over AMT's. :disappoin
Lucky I didn't waste my money on that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Vric
10-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Thats why I never will buy Aoshima only tamiya and revell,

this is sad, you will pass over some really good RX-7 kit (Bomex and C-West)

10-23-2003, 10:42 AM
I don't own either Enzo kit so I'm just guessing here. The layouts of the trees and the way the parts interface may be different, but have you actually measured everything? Once the tool is made to create the molds, the molds can be manufactured per model makers' request. Repositioning parts and adding extra parts to the trees (such as reissues of older models to make updated kits) is easy enough once the mold tooling exists. From pics I've seen here, don't they mount their wheels the same way?

Back on topic, how much does the Aoshima Supra normally cost vs. the AMT one?

Chuck Kourouklis
10-23-2003, 12:25 PM
...things could have been worse. The Supra may have its little hiccups, but Aoshima could have reboxed the Eclipse, which is an all-around dog. Warning to Aoshima - you want to keep your credibility somewhat intact, you'll stay miles away from that one.

To answer the Enzo question, The Tamiya and Revell kits are simply leagues apart, though it must be noted that the Revell kit is surprisingly competitive. The latter is an excellent kit in its own right; it's just that the former is so innovative and beautifully engineered, even other Tamiya kits suffer by comparison.

The Revell kit has fixed doors and a more conventional body-floorpan interface, while the Tamiya kit has opening doors and a fully depicted monocoque frame. The Revell kit features its own new set of tires that appear more dimensionally accurate than Tamiya's, but also far less sharp in their detailing. And no, the wheel mounting system isn't the same - Tamiya uses its traditional nylon-washer-in-the-brake-rotor method, while Revell traps its rotors between wheel halves to get rolling wheels.

You can train your eye to look for copyright dates and mold scratch patterns on the trees and parts to determine what's shared between one kit and another. But you don't even have to go that far between the two Enzos. Compare the engine halves or the brake rotors, for example, and you'll see that Tamiya's treatment is far superior. Check out those little cylindrical suspension servos or the aforementioned tire dimensions, and Revell pulls a small but surprising edge.

Each of these is entirely distinct. As were the F50 and Testarossa models, too. Now if you were to check out German Revell's Mythos show car against Monogram's Testarossa, you would find that although each has its own mold, Revell AG clearly worked from Monogram's master patterns for the Testarossa runing gear...

hirofkd
10-23-2003, 02:19 PM
>008
I have both kits, and they're entirely different. Wheel mounts are not even close. Same with Testarossa or F50. If you look at each part in person, you can tell. While, you're right about moving around each pieces to rearrange the runner, but that degree of mold arrangement is not common in plastic model kits.

As for Aoshima's Bomex Supra, I don't know the reason, but at least Aoshima has the rights to FF and 2F2F products in Japan. I'm looking forward to a good news next year.

CamaroSSBoy346
10-23-2003, 08:09 PM
well.... the directions are atleast in japanese

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
You'd think from all the complainers around here that anything from AMT is automatically considered crap. :disappoin

The Supra is a pretty decent kit. Considering it's available in the US for about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of today's hideous Fujimi monstrosities :banghead: it's a damned fine deal.

The pics of the build kit look pretty good:

BOMEX Supra on HLJ (http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?AOS03285)

Maybe a resin company will do a little surgery on the nose to make it better. I complain a lot about models with small inaccuracies (or the RX-8 I'm working on with big inaccuracies), and then when I build them and see them finished, it's not so bad (and the RX-8 is lookin' good). A finished model, no matter how many inaccuracies there are, is ten times better than one sitting in a box because it's "not good enough". I've seen it countless times...a kit that gets no respect, when built nicely, still looks good. The F&F/Bomex Supra is a good kit, and if you live in the US and can buy them for under $10, they're a steal. :sunglasse
And I dare say that many guys here would kill to build a model that looks as good as the BOMEX Supra that was on display and is pictured at HLJ. The boxart artists are the ones to blame! Their renderings look too good! :biggrin:

As for the AMT Eclipse...go ahead, skewer them... :evillol: :naughty:
Wait for Revell's plastic Eclipse. It will be the antidote. :smokin:

larrygre
10-24-2003, 12:34 PM
You'd think from all the complainers around here that anything from AMT is automatically considered crap. :disappoin

The Supra is a pretty decent kit. Considering it's available in the US for about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of today's hideous Fujimi monstrosities :banghead: it's a damned fine deal.

Maybe a resin company will do a little surgery on the nose to make it better. I complain a lot about models with small inaccuracies (or the RX-8 I'm working on with big inaccuracies), and then when I build them and see them finished, it's not so bad (and the RX-8 is lookin' good). A finished model, no matter how many inaccuracies there are, is ten times better than one sitting in a box because it's "not good enough". I've seen it countless times...a kit that gets no respect, when built nicely, still looks good. The F&F/Bomex Supra is a good kit, and if you live in the US and can buy them for under $10, they're a steal. :sunglasse
And I dare say that many guys here would kill to build a model that looks as good as the BOMEX Supra that was on display and is pictured at HLJ. The boxart artists are the ones to blame! Their renderings look too good! :biggrin:

Wait for Revell's plastic Eclipse. It will be the antidote. :smokin:

Bob, amen to that. The AMT Supra is actually a pretty impressive little kit. Yeah, there's stuff to be worked on, but I never met a kit that DIDN'T have stuff to be worked on. I'm about 9/10 done with my build and detail article for MCM and I can tell you, it shapes up pretty nicely.

I believe Aoshima imports AMT to Japan via something called SKYNET. I'm not sure if it only involves the F&F/2F2F stuff (called "Wild Speed" in Japan) though.

Man, they do have some fine builders in Japan. My hat's off to them!

The R-M all plastic Eclipse will be worth waiting for. The engine, interior, and running gear from the Revell offering at least are a starting poiint to a really nice model. The engine is a 4G63, not a block of plastic as on AMT. The chassis looks like a chassis not a flat pan toy as on AMT.

What amazes me is that even after all this time (1999-present), Racing Champions has no idea of the difference between the model kit market and the toy/diecast market, nor do they seem to care. Modelers tend to be a lot more critical and expect something a lot more detailed, or a lot more realistic-looking, of a current "state of the art" plastic model kit. After the release of the Eclipse abomination and the ridiculous '70 (?) Charger, I'm pretty much convinced that the Supra being good is a fluke. It's a lot like back in 1983-1986 after Ertl bought AMT and proceeded to turn it into a laughingstock through horrible management that did not know what its target audience WAS. Until someone who knows their butt from a hole in the ground (i.e. knows how to market model car kits to the right target audience - US) is given the reins of model kit marketing at RCErtl, I'm damn sure we can expect nothing but a lot more of the same-o same-o crap-o crap-o. I think it's a given at this point that when shoddy engineering is shared between multiple products (all of RCErtl's Eclipses, kit and diecast) all those multiple products turn out shoddy.

As for Aoshima's R34, let's not pass any judgement until we see the actual kit. The pics of the blue body mockup on HS and HLJ are just that: mockups. You can't really judge anything from a mockup except what it MIGHT look like.

All I can say is, it's a modeler's horserace!

Take care, guy.

tonioseven
10-24-2003, 12:46 PM

Wait for Revell's plastic Eclipse. It will be the antidote. :smokin:Thanks for that much-needed statement!!! :sunglasse :sunglasse Just build something!!!

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-24-2003, 12:53 PM
AMT is capable of far better. And they do far better when their feet are to the fire.

Case point is their upcoming American Graffiti '56 TBird. It's unbelievable, seeing it in two iterations of test shots in Chicago shows they can do good stuff when the license holder holds their feet to the fire. The one that looks perfect was being dissected and still not approved w/o a few more tweaks. This is because the licensing arm of Ford, the Beanstalk Group, and Patrick Mulligan, who was taking great pains and great enjoyment of making sure AMT's kit was worth putting the Ford license on it. Kind of puts a whole new spin on licensing, if it's going to produce better kits of at least some company's products. I suspect the crappy kits we see from AMT and Fujimi are because the license holders/decision makers are pretty stupid and can't tell a good model from a bad model.

The upcoming TBird proves AMT can do very good, if not great kits when given the proper guidance. Thankfully not all licensing arms are run by greedy people first and foremost, over ones who see the value in making the models right in the first place.

fujimituner235
10-24-2003, 01:00 PM
that sux...I figured aoshima would have done a better job

larrygre
10-24-2003, 03:49 PM
AMT is capable of far better. And they do far better when their feet are to the fire.

Case point is their upcoming American Graffiti '56 TBird. It's unbelievable, seeing it in two iterations of test shots in Chicago shows they can do good stuff when the license holder holds their feet to the fire. The one that looks perfect was being dissected and still not approved w/o a few more tweaks. This is because the licensing arm of Ford, the Beanstalk Group, and Patrick Mulligan, who was taking great pains and great enjoyment of making sure AMT's kit was worth putting the Ford license on it. Kind of puts a whole new spin on licensing, if it's going to produce better kits of at least some company's products. I suspect the crappy kits we see from AMT and Fujimi are because the license holders/decision makers are pretty stupid and can't tell a good model from a bad model.

The upcoming TBird proves AMT can do very good, if not great kits when given the proper guidance. Thankfully not all licensing arms are run by greedy people first and foremost, over ones who see the value in making the models right in the first place.

Not to mention a Best Supporting Engineer award to John Mueller! :p

larrygre
10-24-2003, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=008]willing to bet my AMT Eclipse engine :icon16: that Revell and Tamiya got their Enzo molds from the same manufacturer. Same goes for their F50 and Testarossa.QUOTE]

Not exactly. Revell AG (Revell of Germany, not the US company) actually boxed two different Testarossa kits at different times in the 1990s - Italeri's and Monogram's. The Monogram kit was the "Miami Vice" edition that was a pretty nice replica of a US-spec car. Italeri's is a Euro-spec late-production TR where Tamiya's was an early production TR. Neither Italeri's nor Monogram's share anything except subject matter with Tamiya.

Revell's F50 and Tamiya's F50, ditto, are totally different tools. Revell's F50s are their own tooling, and considering, they really didn't do a bad job on them - just that Tamiya's finesse is THAT good. Same goes for the Enzo's.

Now why don't we have a decent 1/24 550 or 575 Maranello!!! WE NEED ONE. Ooh, if Tamiya would do one of those!

Modgod
10-25-2003, 12:13 PM
this is sad, you will pass over some really good RX-7 kit (Bomex and C-West)

I might haft to change my ways, I had forgotten about the Rx7's and Velside skylines.

Add your comment to this topic!