Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clear Side Lenses for the 1999 G20

Yahnozha
12-07-2001, 12:22 PM
Just got in the Clear Side Lenses for the P11 from Joe Tesensky of Infinity of Scottsdale....again they have the orange in them. So for those of you looking to get them they are much "flatter" then the origional orange ones...see photo..

INF 26160-4N000 $14.98 ($25.79 list) and you need two.

Ill post the how-to photos soon...

P@
ww.customsteel.com

Yahnozha
12-07-2001, 03:28 PM
So here is the how to on the side lights...

1) Take your dremel, Ive got a micro air grinder with a long carbide bit that I used to start cutting the plastic. Be careful, there is not a whole lot of room to punch thru the orange, I already scratched the inside of one.
2) I pretty much made an X in the circular portion then took off the "top" of the orange part.
3) After that, I simply borke off the plastic with a small screwdrive and pulled the plastic out with needle nose pliers.
4) Once the top is off, you can simply break out the rounded part that is left.
5) Viola' blow out the plastic dust and there you go. Instant clear side lenses.

I havent installed them yet, cuz my car is dirty as **** due to the shitty weather. Took me about 20 min to do both, hope this helps out.

P@
www.customsteel.com

Yahnozha
12-08-2001, 04:01 PM
More How To on the Install...

The new connectors are different then the ones on my 99' as you can see, the new ones have four prongs that twist into the lens housing, the old ones use three. Quite suprised, I decided to use the old twist in one, plus the electrical connection is different too, I wanted to keep the origional wiring so I had to modify the new lenses to fit the origional twist in ones...

1) The comparisioin (Left Origional - Right New) you can see the three slots on the origional, the new ones have four, no problem, simply elongate the holes on the new one to accpet the old twist in...
2) The Tools - 1/8 long carbide cutter, and an Abrasive cylinder, you'll see the need for this...
3) You can see the new elongated slots compared to what I started with...
4) After elongating the two holes to fit the old twist in, I noticed a little piece of plastic keeping it from "twisting"...this is where the abrasive cylinder comes in...
5) Get in under the lip of the plastic, and wack it out....now the old twist in fits the new lenses, pretty tight might I add...
6) The comparison of the new lenses with the origoinal fitting (left) and the one from my 99 (right)

Im sure you can take out the orange by other methods, Ive read by drilling a bunch of tiny holes in the orange and breaking them out is a method, it takes a while, but works.

If you plan on doing other mods a dremel is a handy tool to have. If your working on plastic get the variable speed one, plus the flex shaft attachment is a good investment too. Besides its handy for other stuff as well.

Im using the white bulb in the set up, why go thru all that trouble and install an organge bulb, just keep the orange in...although, some states require certian colors for certain lenses. I not aware of any for my state but ask around.

On a similar note, I did have quite a problem with the plastic dust that was left in the housing on both this project and the headlight project. I simply washed out the plastic but was left with a lot of moisture in the housing. My dad gave me a cool trick (he was a tuner in his day with VW's) Pour denatured/rubbing alcohol into the housing, swirl it around (it mixes with the H20) pour it out and let the alcohol evaporate. Hell it workd for me, just be sure to test the plastic and make sure it doesnt react with the alcohol.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps others....

P@
www.customsteel.com

DCastillo
12-10-2001, 02:45 AM
it took me about 2 minutes to clear out my side markes, you dont even ahve to break the lense. just kinda pop it out of position and pull it out. it literally took me about2 minutes

Add your comment to this topic!