Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbrushing Smoke

Davoaldo
10-16-2003, 08:15 AM
Just wondering....
i hear so many bad comments about the tamiya smoke colour....
has anyoen try to airbrush that does it come out evenly....
or is it just like any other colour

_835_
10-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Just wondering....

I already airbrush X19 smoke over carbon decal when i want it darker without any trouble (decal was SMS one)....for me it s like a clear color... yellow, red...and Smoke.

Nobbys Nuts
10-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Just wondering....

I have played around with Smoke on the windows of RC cars for the last 10 years and these are my findings for the best results;
You need to have a very wide spray of paint coming out of your airbrush and preferably keep your brush a little further away than usual as wherever the paint is overlapped it will show up as a darker colour when it dries.
A word of warning - Smoke always dries as a darker colour than it looks when it is wet so don't get fooled into putting just another coat on to make it darker and having it run which it will do very easily.

Hope this helps.
Tony

tazdev
10-17-2003, 04:49 AM
gave up trying to spray tamyias smoke to try and tint windows so I went out and brought window tint film (so much easier and quicker) and if you change ya mind you can just pull it off :)

Martbee
10-17-2003, 06:17 AM
As already said... it runs very easely so don't overspray in window or you'll regret it. For fiber carbon, it excellent though. Use it every time I can...A siver over a black hood with the Tamiya mesh, X-19 smoke and a little time, it should give you something like that:
http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/gardian800/Photos/RX-7_3_redo.jpg

Martbee
10-17-2003, 06:21 AM
The black thing in the front of that hood is the reflect of the camera. In reality, this is pretty convincing.

In windows, it take a lot of practice to do it right but it can be done. In fact, it can be use everywhere... on motor, in headlamps, under the model, next to exhaust............

Tomaszken
10-17-2003, 09:34 AM
I use the Tamiya Smoke spray can (mostly on my RC's) without any probs

_835_
10-17-2003, 09:36 AM
I use the Tamiya Smoke spray can (mostly on my RC's) without any probs

SMOKE exist in spray ???? which ref ???

Tomaszken
10-17-2003, 12:10 PM
It's PS-31 and yes it's a polycarbonate spray, but hey, it does the job :D

Add your comment to this topic!