Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

??? for you painting pros

jeffsgotaciv98
10-15-2003, 08:56 AM
My last two paint jobs on my models have come out looking like crap, let me explain. I sand and wash the model, wearing gloves while doing this. Then I warm the bottle of tamiya paint in some warm water, and then apply the paint. But the paint goes on kind of milky and developes spots were the paint seems to not want to stick(maybe fisheyes). But I have never had this problem before, its getting colder here in new mexico, could that be the problem? So if anyone can explain and help me out it would be appreciated.

tonioseven
10-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Do you shake the can for a while to loosen the pigments in the bottom of the can? and spray a small amount of paint into the air to allow the excess bubbles to dissipate? Are the gloves coated with anything that could contiminate the surface?

freakray
10-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Is the model completely dry before you start spraying?

What colors are you spraying?

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Need more information...bottle (jar) or spray can?

Also, some dishwashing liquids and soaps have minute quantities of silicone, which will cause fisheyes. Rubbing alcohol is a better cleaner than soap and water. Use plain water, then rubbing alcohol, or rubbing alcohol then plain water...then make sure it's completely dry.

jeffsgotaciv98
10-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Well I am using tamiya spray paints from the can...I wash the car with hand soap, antibacterial, which might be the problem. The gloves I wear are the loose fitting kind with no chemicals on them. Then I make sure the car is dry, I let it sit for about 2 hours and then blow dry with a hair dryer just to make sure. Then I put my model on the block and paint it in the garage...nothing out of the norm, and all of a sudden this fisheye problem starts happening.

airforceone
10-15-2003, 10:51 AM
out of curiousity, did you use a primer?

jeffsgotaciv98
10-15-2003, 11:03 AM
out of curiousity, did you use a primer?

actually I do use primer...its also tamiya paint from the can as well.

EMAXX
10-15-2003, 04:54 PM
No, we mean like a realy primer.

You just have to keep practicing, but you can't you that soap your using. When I clean the body, I just use warm water. Works just fine.

Eric Cole
10-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Newbie here but not new to modeling. My guess is that it's the soap. You did say hand soap? right? Most hand soaps have a built in moisturizer even if it is antibacterial. Moisturizer and model paint (or any paint for that matter) don't mix very well. Wash your car in a dish detergent that has a grease cutting affect (not Dawn, it has moisturizer) and rinse it well. You may even go over it with alcohol afterwards. Then make absolutely sure your hands are as clean as the model, use the same grease cutting soap on your hands.

just an idea but give it a try.

RallyRaider
10-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Are you starting out by applying realy thin mist coats? Try controlling the distance and speed of the can to keep the layer of paint thin. Then there shouldn't be enough surface tension for the paint to flow and create fisheyes. It'll look crap for the first coat of two but when you have an even coverage then you can lay down a thicker, wet coat. By that stage since you're laying paint down over itself it should 'stick' better.

Good luck, keep practicing.

primera man
10-16-2003, 04:05 AM
Sounds like...
1/. The soap you are using is reacting to the paint. Only use a very small amount of dish wash and rinse the car uder the hot tap for 3-4 minutes to was off any soap.
2/. Allow at least 1 full day to dry off in the sun.
3/.When you are warming the can it maybe to hot. Only use water warm enough to hold your hand under.
4/. Primer and mist coats when painting.

I really think you need to read #1 as it sounds like the problem IMO

jeffsgotaciv98
10-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Sounds like...
1/. The soap you are using is reacting to the paint. Only use a very small amount of dish wash and rinse the car uder the hot tap for 3-4 minutes to was off any soap.
2/. Allow at least 1 full day to dry off in the sun.
3/.When you are warming the can it maybe to hot. Only use water warm enough to hold your hand under.
4/. Primer and mist coats when painting.

I really think you need to read #1 as it sounds like the problem IMO

thanks guys...I think I will probably change the soap I am using and just use water & rubbing alcohol. I think I might also try what primera was saying about the paint can being to hot, that might be it too. I will change both and see how it goes.

willster127
10-16-2003, 10:35 AM
I've posted this link before in another thread but it sounds like you could definitely do with reading this, It worked a treat for me, Not quite the P-Man shine yet but I'm getting there!!

Hope this helps.......

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/plastic/tips/syntheticlacquers.html

Bryan_831
10-17-2003, 10:02 AM
:iceslolan This is what i think you should do:
1.Wash the model with a different dishwashing liquid, as what ZoomZoomMX-5 said is true, i have got the same problem before. Change your dishwashing liquid and there should'nt be a problem.
2. After warming and shaking the can of paint, there will be alot of bubbles in the can, so before you spray paint on the model, test-spray abit of it on the newspaper (whatever you place the model on), as it will remove bubbles which cause fish-eyes.

:2cents:
Regards,
Bryan

Add your comment to this topic!