Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacement tires for a 2001 Tacoma - TRD V6 4x4

JerryRodgers
10-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi,

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma V6, TRD 4x4 which came with stock BFG 265/70/R16 - Rugged Trail. it is time to replace them and I have been looking at the BFG AT 265/75/R16 as my replacements. However I wanted to know if they will fit without me needing to make any modifications and if they will basically look just "a little bit beefier" and not "too big". It seems like the difference is small - I checked the specs at BFG - the stock tires are 30.7 inch diameter and the 265/75 are 31.8, width wise the stock tires are 10.7 on 8.0 rims while the new ones would be 10.5 on 8.0 rims.

When I called a local tire store they told me they would not advise putting these on because of possible tranny problems etc. It seemed odd to me given that when I search the web it looks like a lot of people use this tire on this truck as a replacement.

I mostly drive on the street with a little light off roading 2-3 times a year.

Thanks for your ideas and input.

Jerry Rodgers

FasTRDTacoma
10-15-2003, 12:23 AM
i have the 31" BF goodrich on my truck right now, they dont rub at all, im not sure what that guy was talking about. They are a great tire. Im upgrading to a 33" soon. :)

big_archer
10-17-2003, 05:10 PM
I have 33's on my Suburban. they're not as expensive as BFGs, they have a good trend blend between agressive tread and driveability on the road, they are pretty good at self-cleaning, and I air-down to 15 psi for off-roading. I'll be putting a set on my 96 Tacoma this weekend.
look at them and see what you think

'03DC3.4TRD4X4
10-18-2003, 10:01 AM
BFG's wear well and can take lots of off road abuse. They are also relatively cheap. Take a look at the sidewall thickness of the tires you compare. Most so-called off road or all-terrain tires have a paper thin sidewall. BFG's are much thicker. I wouldn't run anything else, especially if I have to cruise the highway at 70 and then air down and crawl over gnarley rocks. There is no other choice.

Add your comment to this topic!