Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

H22A Swap

delSol86
10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Would a H22A be a good swap for a 94 delsol. This engine seems to have the best performance, especially it has torque compared to the B16's and it's around the same price. Good idea or not?

whtteg
10-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Your car will handle worse with the H22A but not extremely bad but you will notice some understeer. It will make the sol fast too, but i personally like the B series motors better over the H22A. What are your plans for the motor and car? That will be the deciding factor.

delSol86
10-14-2003, 06:14 PM
eventually i want to turbo it to maybe 15psi at the most but want to build it first with bolt ons like headers, intake manifod, then maybe a port/polish. Then if i go turbo i would probably have to get l/c pistons and rods, but ive heard the H22 has good rods, pistons, sleeve for turbo unless you want to pus like 15+psi. Stupid question but what is understeering? Anyways i was leaning towards the b16a2 at first but then saw that trq. was crap and the h22 had pretty good trq. I really want a CRV-Tec. What would be your advice and opinion?

whtteg
10-14-2003, 07:07 PM
I would go with the B18B1 if you are serious about turbocharging it later. The B18B1 is a great and cheap motor to boost, it can hold 12psi on stock internals and 15psi is no problem with new rods and forged pistons, and good headgasket. And the B18B1 has good torque numbers as well, you will be happy with the increase in hp and trq over the D series you have now. Then save your money and build a turbo kit and you are there. Also if you are serious about turbo, then don't waste money on things like header, intake etc, because all of that will be useless when you install the turbo kit. Instead take the money you would have spent on the header and buuy a piece for the turbo project, take the money you would have spent on the intake and buy another part of the turbo kit etc. Do as much research as you can and then some and you can and will save alot of money and have a better setup.

whtteg
10-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Sorry forgot undrsteer is when you go into a turn/corner and you turn the wheel and the car still seems to go straight.

ChicagoK20
10-16-2003, 02:23 AM
the H22 is considered a "big block" honda engine. If you put an engine like that in a car like the Del Sol, your weight distribution is gonna get reeeal f'd up. well, maybe not THAT much but you should go with the b16.

whtteg
10-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Don't waste your money on the B16 get a B18B or a B18C1 either of these motors will make the car faster than the B16 The b16 is a great motor but it lacks one thing and that is torque. Torque isd non-existant in a B16. I know of people here that have B16 powered sols and the are stuck in the 16sec 1/4 times. But with a B18C1 they would be in the low 15 to higfh 14 sec 1/4 mile times. And there is not much price difference between the two really, and you get a much better platform to mod from. Or do a B18B1 and turbo it and you will be killiung alot of "fast" cars. :evillol:

Zonathin
10-16-2003, 07:03 PM
But which is better? the h22a swap or the b18c? mine who be for a 98 civic but principal the same i guess. on a side note, what else would i need to beat a chev Z24?

ChicagoK20
10-18-2003, 04:01 AM
But which is better? the h22a swap or the b18c? mine who be for a 98 civic but principal the same i guess. on a side note, what else would i need to beat a chev Z24?

either engine with a turbo and some simple bolt ons should help you keep up with a Z28
If you also get a new engine kit (crankshaft, ecu, bump stick, cam gears, pistons/rings) that'll give ya enough booz to rock that camaro.

whtteg
10-18-2003, 10:14 PM

For all around performance any B series motor is better than the H22a for drag racing only the h22a would be better basically stock. But if you plan on turbo or nitrous etc then the weak thin cylinder walls and the weak ring lands will hurt you and you will be forced to upgrade the internals as were with the LS you can boost 12psi on stock internals. And to beat a Z24 you will do so with just any B series swap but a Z28 will take more mods like FI of somekind.

Add your comment to this topic!