Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

just ordered a AE86 but is it anygood?

V1nce
10-14-2003, 02:26 PM
well its not really a just more like a friday nite after the pub all over come with drift fever and all. just requested for it to be shipped then took a second look at my purchase ...

http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?FUJ03237

please tell me it doesnt have decal or moulded lights, because it looks that way in the finnished kit picture.

anymore info on the fujimi AE86 range ??? i say range because from what ive read there all based on the initial D kit is this true ??

is it a wasted £5

DuncanEK3
10-14-2003, 04:14 PM
The headlight/grill come as a seperate clear piece, at least with the tohge version, I'm pretty sure it's the same with this one.

There is no headlight detail other than the beam markings on the clear part.. you may wish to add something as a bulb behind for example

If you want to paint it panda style, then you're going to have to spend alot of time masking.

Typical Fujimi... decent enough, needs a little work to make it really nice... but should be good if you put the time in. No tamiya though.

hirofkd
10-14-2003, 04:46 PM
anymore info on the fujimi AE86 range ??? i say range because from what ive read there all based on the initial D kit is this true ??
It's more like the Initial D kit is based on the old AE86 kit of the '80s. As such, don't expect Tamiya quality of '90+.

KenshinPT
10-14-2003, 05:35 PM
actually i'm in a quest like you!

My question is: what's the best AE86 kit?

I wanna know before I put my money in...

youngdrifter_x
10-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Same here. I'm looking for rare and hard to find Truenos,Levins,Silvias, and MR2's

bah humbug
10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
actually i'm in a quest like you!

My question is: what's the best AE86 kit?

I wanna know before I put my money in...

I think the bes 86 kits are made by Fujimi and are the only ones.

So They aren't that good and are pretty much the same. Mostly Reboxed. :rolleyes:

The only possibility of one being better than another is probably decals and wheels.

Honoturtle
10-14-2003, 07:47 PM
IMO the best AE86 to get comes from the Tohge series! The price is right, and comes w/ extra decals.

I have a Levin in progress, don't be surprised on the chassis detail.. put enough work into it and it can be a really good kit!

V1nce
10-15-2003, 01:11 PM
thank for the great replies. good news on the lights then all is not lost !!!

DuncanEK3>> im also guessing there the same kit but without the decals as honoturtle metions, just perfered the box art work with this kit :lol:. dont think ill be doing the black and white colour scheme as its the first thing i think of when you think of these cars. i like to think out the box so may be a light blue or silver hummmmm

honoturtle>> read youre thread on the levin and see what you mean about chassis detail, lots of moulding, lacking axle detail ETC, bit like the reissued tamiya stuff (golfs capris). lucky its out of sight out of mind most of the time then lol. what did you make of the interior detail ?

DuncanEK3
10-15-2003, 02:12 PM
The interior is suprisingly decent for Fujimi... better than the civics/integras I have from them.

KenshinPT
10-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Is this the ultimate AE86 kit?

Tohge AE86 from Fujimi (http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?FUJ04003)

The price seems just right! :lol2:

Honoturtle
10-16-2003, 01:58 AM
honoturtle>> read youre thread on the levin and see what you mean about chassis detail, lots of moulding, lacking axle detail ETC, bit like the reissued tamiya stuff (golfs capris). lucky its out of sight out of mind most of the time then lol. what did you make of the interior detail ?
Yup, it really sucks... I do plan on making a really detailed one, including adding a better rear-end, driveshaft, wheel wells.. basically everything.. hopefully even detail the floor pans.

The interior is quite decent.. the door moldings include texture and detail, dash is good, but only RHD only.. :( Maybe I'll attempt converting it and possible mold them in resin to supply to modelers.. we'll see.

Kenshinpt, agreed! The tohge series is the best deal, but the negative is that most of the time they're backordered at HLJ!

KenshinPT
10-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Kenshinpt, agreed! The tohge series is the best deal, but the negative is that most of the time they're backordered at HLJ!

Maybe I'll should see if joecwlaw or Hobby Search have it!

Well my order is just getting started! :naughty:

-> Tohge (isn't Touge???) Fujimi AE86 Trueno
-> Tamiya Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec II
-> Oh boy I just should stop here!!!
-> Tamiya Enzo...

:2cents: There goes my money!

DuncanEK3
10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
After I orderd a toghe levin it took about 2-3 weeks to get in stock.

AE86er
10-17-2003, 12:06 AM
"tohge" is the proper spelling, or technically, the alternative spelling from japanese. either way, its a long "o" sound.

use the T-O-H-G-E spelling, that way, people pronounce it correctly:

say TOE-GAY.

not "tooge"

there you go - japanese lesson for the day! have fun guys - i've got two sitting on my shelf, and one out on the driveway, as seen here:

http://said.uc.edu/students/eastmace/images/new2.jpg

PHENOMENAL car! more fun than anything i've driven - underpowered or not!

Honoturtle
10-17-2003, 12:12 AM
That's a very clean looking car AE86er! I like it very much. Consider making a model replica? I know a kit that comes with those rims! :D

AE86er
10-17-2003, 12:18 AM
Thanks Honoturtle! A kit has the supra wheels? Really??!!

Yeah, I was thinking to build a replica of it...rather than the typical panda scheme...

Lemme know about that kit if you can...

here's some pics of the interior:

http://said.uc.edu/students/eastmace/images/ae_int.jpg

http://said.uc.edu/students/eastmace/images/ae_int3.jpg

and $10,000 worth of blood, sweat, and tears:

BattleVersion Adjustable Lateral Rod
BattleVersion Stainless Steel Brake Lines
BattleVersion Stainless Steel Clutch Line (Not installed)
BattleVersion Short Shifter Kit
BattleVersion Traction Brackets
BattleVersion Roll Center Adjusters
BattleVersion Camber Plate
Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar
Cusco Rear Strut Tower Bar
JSPEC Brake Booster Brace
JSPEC Side Mount License Plate Holder
TRD Japan 5.6Kg Rear Springs
TRD Japan Bushing Kit
TRD Japan Tall Shift Knob
Ground Control Front Coilover 7.2 Kg
Tokico HTS W/Custom Shortened Strut Case
Mark SlideSquad SPL 20mm Strut Spacer
RS86 Spin Turn Knob
86+ MY Velour Door Panels
86+ MY Rear Seats + Panels
New Black Dash W/Potective Cover
New OEM Rear Wing
Kouki Front Bumper
Kouki Rear Bumper
Kouki Front Grille
MY 86+ Tail Lights + Center Garnish
Powdercoated Gunmetal Supra Wheels
Yokohama AVS-ES100 185/60-14
Japan-only HKS Windmaster Exhaust
3T Test Pipe (Not Installed)
USDM Window Rain Visor
Cibie H4 Headlight Housings
HKS Air Filter W/Allow Pipe + Silicone Hose
Kicker Front Speakers
Infinity Rear Spekars
87 MY Double-DIN Radio
Nardi Classic Steering Wheel
Nardi Long Hub
JDM Zero Hub Extension
1989 German-made Recaro LSD Black/Grey Monza Pattern (N.O.S.) W/Papers, Sticker
EBISU POWER Recaro Brackets/Sliders x2 (JPY 67,500)
Sabelt 3-Point Harness (x2)
OEM Rotors
OEM Pads
SR5 Manual Mirrors (No Shake)

KenshinPT
10-17-2003, 06:54 AM
I must say that's the most clean exemple of a AE86 I ever saw!

My kind of car!!!

Honoturtle
10-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks Honoturtle! A kit has the supra wheels? Really??!!

Yeah, I was thinking to build a replica of it...rather than the typical panda scheme...

Lemme know about that kit if you can...

Your car is awesome! And all the mods... hand over the car for the info on the kit! :evillol: j/k
Here you go, it's off of Hobby Search (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/plamo/index_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=102) > 1/24 (Other Makers) > It's about the 8th car from the top.. here's a direct link to the kit: 1982 Celica/Supra (http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?Bno=&Typ1_c=102&Typ2_c=106&Typ3_c=441&SPage=1&SC=58&SN=Autos+1%2F24+%28Other+Makers%29&It_c=10028151&andor=0&scope=0&scope2=0&thumb=1&sortID=1&urikire=1&sort_sort=0&ItKey=&app_url=shop_right_e.asp)

Well, I guess I'll be looking foward to your build! :D

*EDIT - You can also get the kit here: http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?ARI21155

Add your comment to this topic!