Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 rx7 smokes at high rpm

dkennedy
10-14-2003, 12:53 AM
My 86 RX7 smokes really bad over 5000 rpm. I have had the car for about 10 years and have 225,000 miles on it. I still drive it about 40 miles a day to work. Its been doing this for 2 years now, I nurse it and it just keeps going. It also smokes when you first start it, worse if it has not been started for a couple days. It started doing it after a thermostat failure and the engine got a little hot, it wasn't over the red on the gauge, but it was towards the top before I got it replaced. I researched my problem on the net and I think my inner oil control ring is bad. Does this sound right? How hard is it to replace it? Let me know what you think? Could it be something else?

CHINRX
10-14-2003, 04:21 AM
My 86 RX7 smokes really bad over 5000 rpm. I have had the car for about 10 years and have 225,000 miles on it. I still drive it about 40 miles a day to work. Its been doing this for 2 years now, I nurse it and it just keeps going. It also smokes when you first start it, worse if it has not been started for a couple days. It started doing it after a thermostat failure and the engine got a little hot, it wasn't over the red on the gauge, but it was towards the top before I got it replaced. I researched my problem on the net and I think my inner oil control ring is bad. Does this sound right? How hard is it to replace it? Let me know what you think? Could it be something else?
to change your oil o-rings you will have to tear down the engine and i recomend to do a full rebuild and take the oportunity and port it.

Jims5543
10-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Ditto.

Who says you cannot get lots of miles out of a rotary?
My friend blew his engine on his Turbo RX-7 w/ 250K miles on it. He had modded it and was pushing it hard when it took a dump. Then he drove home on the half blown engine. hehe.

Shiftlock
10-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Ditto.

Who says you cannot get lots of miles out of a rotary?
My friend blew his engine on his Turbo RX-7 w/ 250K miles on it. He had modded it and was pushing it hard when it took a dump. Then he drove home on the half blown engine. hehe.

If taken care of properly.Rotary engines are more reliable than piston engines.They have less to break down.

dkennedy
10-14-2003, 10:18 PM
I am just going to keep nursing the car along, maybe I will get 300,000 miles out of it? I live in Illinois and there is no state inspections or emission testing. Everyone agrees it's probably the inner seal that is causing the smoke?

Add your comment to this topic!