Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SC430...whats ur thougths on this car

GOD
04-05-2001, 10:18 PM
i personally think its alright but i dont think i would pay that much for this car i think they want something in the high 50s for it and .....its just differant .....i really dont know whether to like it or hate it .....hum........:confused: http://www.lexus.com/images/showroom/model/land_ph_sc430b_1.jpghttp://www.lexus.com/images/showroom/model/land_ph_sc430b_2.jpghttp://www.lexus.com/images/showroom/model/land_ph_sc430b_3.jpg

enzo@af
04-06-2001, 07:01 PM
Seeing one in person does a lot for it. I think they're ho-hum in pics, but they have a nice presence in person.

NissanZ@af
04-06-2001, 07:12 PM
I think they're ugly, especially when they have the top down. I especially don't like the tail-lights. They look similar to the Nissan Z's, which I don't like. I also don't like the overall rounded shape of the car.

super 96 accord
05-23-2001, 04:12 PM
I agree with Enzo, pics don't do the car justice. I had seen it on TV, magazines, web. But when I was at the valet parking at the mall by my house I saw one, and it was MUCH nicer in person.

i_rebel
05-23-2001, 04:15 PM
Yep . . . I'll third that opinion. Pictures don't do the car justice. It's stunning in reality.

Very well sculpted . . .

enzo@af
05-23-2001, 05:02 PM
That funny looking rear end actually looks really good in person too, IMO.

DVSNCYNIKL
05-23-2001, 05:13 PM
I said the same thing. In person, that car has a wierd attraction to it. I like it.

i_rebel
05-24-2001, 10:23 AM
How's the powerplant?

V6?

enzo@af
05-24-2001, 12:24 PM
430 is the V8, methinks.

DVSNCYNIKL
05-24-2001, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by enzo@af
430 is the V8, methinks.

Methinks you're right!

i_rebel
05-24-2001, 12:48 PM
methinks makesense . . .!

enzo@af
05-24-2001, 02:32 PM
meglad.

alfa2600
07-25-2001, 07:25 PM
Now have 2500 miles on red SC430 with optional run flat tires. Not a sports car, lots of power, rather ponderous handling, terrific thruway high speed cruiser except for one great irritation: poor directional stability. Bumps throw off the steering. Must constantly correct. I wonder if this is the fault of the tires. Tire pressure changes make no difference. Front end alignment was checked at 30 days and is OK. I turned down an M3 B&W convertible in favor of this car because of the folding hard top, a great reassurance, but now I wonder if I was right. May sell at summer's end. Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

Jay!
08-03-2001, 06:31 PM
Have you asked the dealership about it yet? Hard to swallow as it may be, since it's a new car, they're probably going to know the most about it. Maybe they'll loan you a set of regular wheels and tires, and see it there's a difference. They are all about customer service, right?

alfa2600
08-06-2001, 12:10 AM
Lexus dealer ignorance is total concerning what can be expected of handling qualities. Enthusiast drivers do not buy them. My wife got me this for my birthday, I could hardly refuse and it is, except for the steering, a wonderful car. I am waiting to see if the magazine writers pick this up or whether it is my imagination. Maybe all biggish cars are like this, I drove a Honda Del Sol VTEC for seven years and am accustomed to agility and stability, this car does not quality. Have two Subaru wagons, a 1997 Legacy outback and a 2001 Forester, they steer and handle better than the SC430. As to the Honda, there is simply no comparison.

Jay!
08-06-2001, 09:34 PM
That's a shame about the dealership. You'd think with the IS being touted as a "sport sedan," Lexus would be paying strict attention to what enthusiasts want from even their luxury cars.

In the reviews I've read (or seen on TV) they didn't mention the sloppy steering. :(

gang$tarr
08-07-2001, 06:50 PM
I drove my neighbours SC430... black.
I thought it handled reallly well, i don't know what you're talkin bout alfa, i'm sure it handles better than those other cars you mentioned, even though i've never driven them before
I like it better than my dad's SL500

Jay!
08-07-2001, 06:53 PM
LOL, you'll have to be the resident test-driver, gang$tarr! You seem to get your hands on lots of cars! :D

gang$tarr
08-15-2001, 07:38 PM
hehehe........ a couple days ago another one of my neighbours had a brand new 2001 Bentley Arnage parked in his driveway, it was this sweet lookin blue colour..... sooooooo nice! with the chrome rims.

I wanted ta drive it so bad!! but it wasn't my neighbours it was one of his friends, i think he was embarrased that i was asking his friend so many questions about it :D

Mylacc
12-01-2001, 06:52 PM
cars never look as good in pics
people always look better in pics

for example off topic that dude carson daily on mtv
tv makes him look so big and i saw him once when i was in NYC and he is a tiny little man

things just dont look right in pics

crayzayjay
12-04-2001, 11:11 AM
looks like an uglified merc to me

SkylineDreamz
03-06-2002, 11:20 PM
I see them all the time out where i am (Chesapeake VA) they are awesome

SilverLotus340R
06-26-2002, 07:08 AM
about the whole picture thing.... there are only certain photographers that can actually capture what a car is all about and make it loook the way it is supposed to. I happen to be a fairly good photgrapher myself... and i have a friend that went to Italy to play soccer for the summer and when she came back she had this AWESOME i mean AWESOME picture of a red SC430 next to this 100 foot red yacht. It gave the SC430 the smaller look so it doesn't look so fat and boisterious.

Also...alfa a lady around the street from me (who i finally found out who owns a tan SC430) said that she HAD the same problem with her sc430 and she had the regular tires put back on and the problem was corrected. ANd i asked the local lexus dealer and he said that on some that have different than stock tires the overall weight of the car and the width of the tires mades the car feel sloppy.

But i dont know what to suggest...im sure you aren't up to paying a couple k's for new tires... :uhoh:

rob2000
07-02-2002, 01:32 AM
my dad is looking at cars he likes the sc430, bmw 7 series and m3/m5

oh and gangster your full of shit, either your a millionare or your lying theres no way your dad owns that many expensive cars, plus i doubt your neighbors have bentleys, how bout you post some pics with a sign on it, otherwis people will think your some 12 year old kid

Jay!
07-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by rob2000
oh and gangster your full of shit, either your a millionare or your lying theres no way your dad owns that many expensive cars, plus i doubt your neighbors have bentleys, how bout you post some pics with a sign on it, otherwis people will think your some 12 year old kid been there, done that. this forum's about cars, please...

Porsche
07-02-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by rob2000
my dad is looking at cars he likes the sc430, bmw 7 series and m3/m5

oh and gangster your full of shit, either your a millionare or your lying theres no way your dad owns that many expensive cars, plus i doubt your neighbors have bentleys, how bout you post some pics with a sign on it, otherwis people will think your some 12 year old kid

Honestly man, We went over this like last year, I'm not doing it again.

Alfa, you turned down an M3 Cabrio! I am shocked. j/k
SilverLotus340R, Do you really have one? I am a huge lotus fan, despite the name. I once saw a yellow Exige and that car, well it makes most Porsches look slow. :)

rob2000
07-03-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
been there, done that. this forum's about cars, please...

sorry bout that i didnt know, my appologies lol

japan_freak
08-13-2002, 06:10 AM
theres no better car like a skyline tuned by nismo ;):flash:

crayzayjay
09-01-2002, 11:30 AM
theres no better car like a skyline tuned by nismo ;) :flash:

I disagree ;) :flash:

WinterG20
09-20-2002, 02:55 PM
It will be one year of ownership as of Oct 1, 2003 of my Red SC430....

I also took the SC430 in favor of the M3 convertible.... I liked the hard top, the smoother ride... and the emphasis on luxary that Lexus provides as well as that fantastic sound system!

I have NEVER had a problem with steering and drivability and have the run-flat option also. I don't know what this other person is talking about regarding steering problems!

I will have to agree that the SC430 is NOT a sports car like the M3 or Porsche BUT it is a sporty car with the emphasis on luxary!

I opted NOT to get the M3 because when I want spirited driving, I take out my 911! I made a conscious decision that I wanted a sporty yet comfortable and convenient convertible! After owning a Z3 convertible, I decided that my next car had to be a convertible but that the folding hard top was a high priority. I didn't care for the SLK Mercedes version at all (too cheap interior and just felt wrong overall)... and the SL500 was overpriced in my opinion... I considered the Boxster S but already have a 911 so why?

Anyway, I couldn't be happier folks!

If you want to see more owner opinions, I suggest you check out www.clublexus.com which has a seperate SC430 board!

YellowMaranello
09-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Liek everyone else said, in pictures, this car is pretty ugly. But when I saw it in person for the first time, its almost breathtaking.

CEBoyd
09-20-2002, 06:57 PM
Drive it for a few days and you'll understand!

integr8
03-05-2003, 12:20 PM
It looks gorgeous in person, especially the hardtop! I dont like the convertable much.

Ignite
07-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Just picked one up for a test drive tonight but haven't had the chance to take it out for a real spin yet, hopefully the weather stay nice for tomorrow. Like everybody else, from the pictures I saw I was fairly "ho-hum" about it, but once I saw it in the flesh I NEEDED to drive it. The interior quality is impressive and you gotta love the Mark Levinson Audio system :smile:

WinterG20
08-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by integr8
It looks gorgeous in person, especially the hardtop! I dont like the convertable much.

The hard top convertible aspect of the car is the whole reason I bought it and fell in love with it! Folks who aren't convertible people should just stay away because it is a waste to buy it and not even use it!

op012503
08-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I am really impressed by the styling and features on the new sc. I think that if your into top-down cruising in one of the best interiors to date then this car is for you. With the solid quality of a lexus, its design, and enthusiastic performance I dont think this car is overpriced. Speed and handling nuts would opt for a 911 and with the introduction of the new sl class benz sales of this high class cruiser, unfortunatly, are sure to fall.

:biggrin2: :icon16: :thefinger

Leon Millette
09-28-2003, 05:18 PM
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/504/6089view4-med.jpg

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/504/13744car_show_024.jpg

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/504/591sc430-ac1__medium_-med.jpg

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/504/591img_0007__medium_-med.jpg

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/504/99WaldWhiteSC430-f-med.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!