Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

don't think flames comming from throttle body is right

ksv86
10-12-2003, 05:56 PM
I got myself a '91 gfrand am... w/ a 2.5L in it. I lent it to a friend, who claims he drove it normally, then it stalled and ran like shit ever since. I think it might be vacuum problem. it doesn't idle, it has no power, backfires outa the intake and it also shoots flames outa the intake. Also, it came up with code 25 on the code reader, don't have a book so don't know what that code is. any help apreciated, thanks

ADains
10-26-2003, 12:43 PM
You might want to check out your intake...Code 25 is the Intake Air temperature sensor....sounds like the car isn't breathing enough...also check out the timing gears, your friend might have broken a tooth off one of the gears, that would cause the valves to open at almost the wrong time, causing lack of power and back firing through the throttle body.

BOOZER
10-26-2003, 02:40 PM
I think I'd start with a compression check. If that checks OK, check for a dead cylinder by droping one cylinder at a time. Look for a bad plug,wire, coil pack. I'd think your code is the result of the problem & not the cause.

ksv86
10-26-2003, 07:34 PM
I neglected to mention earlier that it also does not idle, and it poors out blackish smoke outa the exaust, but i'll check the timing and such soon, haven't had any time to look at it yet, too busy with school and work and all

ksv86
11-01-2003, 08:22 PM
I've decided to forget about fixing this motor it had 332K on it and some lil shits shot roman candles under my hood and it caught fire, so most of the hoses are melted and a lot of the wires are. any ideas on what motor i should put it? somehting with more power perferably.

bmtphoenix
11-02-2003, 02:52 AM
I've decided to forget about fixing this motor it had 332K on it and some lil shits shot roman candles under my hood and it caught fire, so most of the hoses are melted and a lot of the wires are. any ideas on what motor i should put it? somehting with more power perferably.

I would say get a new car. There's no telling what you're going to have to rig to get another motor to interface with a post-roman candle ECM and transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!