Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car Interior Odor

SiViKsTeR
12-06-2001, 05:03 PM
Hey whats up...I just got me a civic but the interior smells bad...what should i get to clean this bad odor?

sparq
12-06-2001, 05:48 PM
Fabreeze fabric spray (if you have cloth) you can find it at any groccery store :alien:

odin4444
12-06-2001, 05:50 PM
burn some bud or burn some incents. when i got my car it smelled but not after some insents it works.

but then i got a prelude.

hey do u know any good interior sites

SiViKsTeR
12-06-2001, 10:36 PM
thanks for the help

xivera
12-07-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by odin4444:
burn some bud or burn some incents.
Burn some bud!?
http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Originally posted by sparq:
[b]Febreeze fabric spray (if you have cloth) you can find it at any groccery store
That's only a quick fix which will work. After doing it once, you will find that you will continue to practice spraying that Febreeze soon after. If you do go this route, don't forget to do the cloth headliner because that will prolly stink, too.
Anyway, I would suggest cleaning down the interior. I would recommend borrowing a steam cleaner for treating cloth and the carpet. For vinyl, plastic and the like, I will recommend using something like Simple Green (which you can use for your engine, too). Then ,use Meguiars' vinyl-thinige protectant to finish it all off. (You can choose your level of gloss by how many layers you spray. Moreover, it smells great! Although I can't remember the name, I use it myself along with other Meguiars products!) :)

kicker1_solo
12-11-2001, 05:01 PM
steam clean it and then stop farting in your damn car :)

Cav
03-13-2002, 11:01 PM
i think im the master at removing smells from cars..My first car was a 81 omega bought from my grandma, she only baths once a month since she needs help to bath

well this is what i did

1.Vacum the interior
2.Bottle of febree automovie, i soaked my interior with this
3.Vacum again
4.Spray some more down
5.Leave a bowl of baking soda in different locations of the car to eat the smell away

I bought my car in april of 01 and never got the smell out for a good 2 months but once it was gone it was nice

now i drive a very nice berry smelling crx =)

93speed
03-14-2002, 06:36 PM
I've heard that if you put some charcoal from a grill into a mesh bag from like potatos and put that in you car the charcoal soaks up the smell.

jngl_massive
03-15-2002, 02:03 PM
now thats some counrty sh.......jk
fabreazy is off the heazy....

changedagame108
03-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Use some febreeze and put an air freshener up in that biatch.

onesojourner
03-19-2002, 10:56 PM
well when i got my prelude the person smoked hard core in it it was pretty bad. i dont know what kind of bad smell your talking about bc if its urine or dairy products or something like that i dont know. but if its just musty when ever you drive keep all your windows down if possible and for a while whenever your not driving get a box of baking soda and let it sit in there over night several times then get an air freshner get one of those little gel ones that use the double sided tape to stick some where.

dudewheresmycar
06-23-2002, 06:08 AM
dude, i'm jealous of you cuz you have a pic of your car burning rubber through water, that's awesome. and LOL at burning some bud in your car to get rid of smell...

micheal
12-04-2003, 11:06 AM
dude, i'm jealous of you cuz you have a pic of your car burning rubber through water, that's awesome. and LOL at burning some bud in your car to get rid of smell...

A more consistent process of eliminating odors involves fogging. You can rent a unit or purchase a repatable service provision and this method will actually kill the bacteria causing the odor and not mask it as most of the methods suggestted. Tabacco odors must be counteracted with a combined process of fogging and oxidizing for the more than llikely other bacteria forms that are present. Once completed the car will be neutral in smell and a blank slate for you to scent however you like. Good Luck!!!

tegGSRrider
12-09-2003, 07:27 PM
i would..... spray colonge..... or go 115 on the highway wit the windows down.... or... incense..... or like 100 car airfeshenors

ahoier
01-11-2009, 09:38 AM
When I got my car it had a slight cigarette smell to it (my mom noticed it when I brought it home....but I didn't...oh well) - well, I got one of those 12v "air ionizers" from walmart, it was like $9.88 or something and plugged that in. About a month or two later, I had to take her to the store, and she was like damn that smell is gone, what did you do..? Errr....nothing really...I haven't did any "deep cleaning" to the interior at all, I sprayed some febreeze automotive stuff like twice, and let the car sit with the windows cracked less than 1inch whenever possible (i.e.: I'm not in some dodgy neighborhood or parking lot lol).

I also primarily ride with my windows down (back driver, and front passenger cracked about 2inches).

So that's my story :)

But I've read all kinds of weird stuff.

Rags soaked in vinegar (I'd imagine on a plate of some sort, so it doesn't leave a stain on the fabric)
Sprinkle the complete interior with baking soda (except maybe the driver seat, lol) and then get it vacuumed out the next day with a good quality vacuum at a car wash.
Pan of baking soda under the seat (that could get messy, depending on how you drive...put I suppose Velcro would work here too, Velcro the bottom of the pan, to the bottom of the seat, or duct tape? lol) and change it every couple days.
Ozium? They sell it in small aerosol cans, but reading up on the stuff, it sounds kinda dangerous..lol.

Then I read something about spraying Lysol into the air intake vents under the hood....by switching from "Fresh air", to Recirculated, to AC, to Heat, etc, the Lysol will break down any odors that are "living" in your vents.

If gone this route though, I don't know which would be preferred, to do the process _before_ or _after_ - changing the cabin/air filter(s)?

I know when my mum got her SUV it had a faint smell in it of cigs, and the dealer said some detailers have machine that can get rid of the smell using some kind of fogging machines, ionizers, and other stuff to break apart the ions that are causing the smell.

PaulD
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
8 year old thread dude

Add your comment to this topic!