Buying a 156

Lord_A
10-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone.

It is time that my old 'banger' (Vauxhall Cavelier 2.0i) gets scrapped, and I have my heart pretty much set out for an Alfa 156 2.0ts.

Any tips on what to look out for when buying one?
My budget is between 4 & 6 thousand pounds and I'd prefer leather seats, and relatively low-ish milaege.

I've had a browse on Autotrader and I am surprised as to how cheap most of them are, even for 1999/2000 models, is there a particular reason for this or is it just that they depreciatte so much in value?

I can't wait to own one!
Looking to buy one next weekend :biggrin:

Jimster
10-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Well- My best advice is to have the engine thourougly looked over- check wheel bearings and the general fit an finish- other wise you'd be fine- and the depriciation is almost vertical (Part of the reason mine will be put up for sale soon). The 156 is a pretty reliable car- not up to Japanese standars- but then again only the Honda Accord can match the 156 for being a great drive. Just a word of warning- sometimes the Leather can be a bit too thick and squeak against the armrest- but this becomes obvious the second you sit in the car- so you need not worry.

Lord_A
10-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that info dude.

I have been reading up on a lot of reviews from 156 owners and there are quite a few that are saying it's really unreliable :uhoh:

I will be taking my time and inspecting as much as I can, so hopefully I will be ok :)

Pics up when I buy her!!!

AlfaRomeo156
10-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Hello Aris, gues who :D

Trust me, you'r gonna love the 156, as for reliability, when you see most of these on-line reviews etc saying its unreliable, you'll likely find that its just cos the car has broken down and the guy/girl is scorned and decideds to give it a crap review somewhere just as a bit of a steam let off...

It's like Fronteras, supposed to be hideously unreliable, we've owned 5 perfectly good ones :D

TeeO
12-09-2003, 08:40 AM
probably a bit late to get to you, but just make sure if the car has done more than 36k that the cambelt service is done. It is a major service on this car and is NOT to be over looked. Manual states 72k but all main dealers in UK are recommending them at 36k and in Ireland at 48k. Don't know why the difference between 2 countries.
There have been hundreds of premature cambelt failures that have prompted this action...lots of them happening in the 40-50k bracket. You will know it's on the way when the engine starts to sound like a diesel on cold start. It's usually the variator to go first.

So if the car you bought, didn't have it done, go and get it done.

as for the car, hope you like it. Mine is 3.5 yrs old and still love it.
Have never thought of changing it as I got it from new, it is proteo red with Sport Pack 3, rear spoiler and black smoked side repeaters.

Add your comment to this topic!