Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting my first Project (Skyline)

mindflux
12-06-2001, 03:45 PM
Hey, I was just wondering.. I want to get into this hobby, but I dont know where to start, I baught a Nismo Skyline, and I would like it to be painted like this one,,
http://pochi.250x.com/r33nismo.html

However I dont know where to Start, Could someone give me some tips, and advice..

All I know is..
Apparently I wash all the parts in wam water first
thin I paint the pairts why they are sill connected..
Thanks..

Guiddy
12-06-2001, 03:54 PM
Go straight to the instructions detailing the body parts, as this is where to start on all kits!
It gives time for the paint to dry on the body whislt you are doing the rest!

You will need a set of needle files for that kit as it is rough! (I have one!) and all the mold lines and seams need to be filed off! (i.e. the lines you don't see on the real car! Usually these extend down the front and rear bumpers!)
Finish this off with 800 grade sandpaper all over the body to give the primer someing to key to!

Yeah, wash all the parts in soapy water, and let air dry and primer ALL the parts to be painted using automotive plastic primer or model primer.

Search for a thread entitled Subaru WRX for the full run down on spraying a body using automotive paint!

And happy modelling! You WILL be hooked!

mindflux
12-06-2001, 04:02 PM
Sounds hard..

my instructions are in japanese :(
Could you go into a little moe depth on cleaning it..

I have bruses and paints to paint it.. and a can of spray paint to spray the shell

Sorry if I didnt make sense, I ihave been in a car accitned.. thats why i satarted this hobby, cuz i have spelnty of tlime

Guiddy
12-06-2001, 04:33 PM
OK, full details are in the thread at the top of the page, with an appropriate title.

It is hard, but will seem 2nd nature oppnce you have done a few kits!

Jay!
12-06-2001, 05:28 PM
Welcome to AF!!! :D :D :D

Do check Guiddy's thread at the top of the list page, it covers pretty much everything.

I might recommend that you go buy a cheap-o model to practice on. Almost any Revell kit will probably cost about half as much as your Skyline. You can use it to hone your techniques on that without worrying about messing it up.

And feel free to ask questions!!! We're here to help!! :)

Guiddy
12-06-2001, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by mindflux
thin I paint the pairts why they are sill connected..
Thanks..

I must admit, I don't! I like to clean all the flash of each part, but perhaps that is a bit much for a first project!
I primer each part off the tree, and spray each part too!
Looks very smart when done!

Add your comment to this topic!