Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical Gremlin and Power Loss

nmax
10-10-2003, 12:56 PM
The Gremlin:
O.K. whenever I open a car door, or the glove compartment, my radio resets itself to AM 1400, my dome light is constantly on, so I had to remove the light bulb, and the beeping sound that tells you the lights are still on when you open the car door does not work either. And sometimes the fan for the A/C and defroster works, and sometimes it does not. No rhyme or reason. SOme times it works, sometimes not, sometimes it is working and simply quits, then turns itself back on. I'm looking for suggestions.

The power loss
Also, I ave recently began experiencing power loss while driving 70 MPH on the interstate. When I step on the gass, the car will surge, I have to barely feather the gas pedal to keepit from surging. It continues when I have to slow down for stop lights and then accelerate. It accellerates like as though I'm keeping time on a base drum set. I apply constant pressure, but the car jerks forward then dies, then jerks then dies. Its like it issn't getting constant fuel. It kind of feels like the engine is missing but it is not, it seems to be a fuel supply problem of some sort. And it only happens after about 30 minutes onf continuous driving. When I shut the car off and let it sit overnight I never have problems in the morning.

The first problem I don't have a clue how to fix, but it sure is annoying. The second one: Fuel Filter? Sticky Injectors? Fuel Pump?

I will appreciate any advice.

nmax
10-10-2003, 12:57 PM
It is a 92 Buick LeSabre custom with 95,000 miles.

RABarrett
10-15-2003, 09:25 AM
It is possible that the two are related. I would carefully check all grounds. A ground problem can affect all vehicle functions. Also check all of the connections on the B+ leads, everywhere. A unit seeking a ground will act unusually, and will create problems anywhere the ground becomes accessible. It is also possible that the low battery conditions created by the constant glove box illumination has affected the battery permanently. Correct the glove box light first, then fully charge the battery. Then check all grounds on the vehicle, using the voltage drop method. That means to locate a good ground,(the battery negative is a good one,) then check all grounds using the other lead. If the voltage indicated on the meter exceeds .4 volts, repair the ground. Ray

dotnang
02-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi there,
When I read your post, I thought I was reading my own story. I have not found ANYONE that has these weird symptoms with their Buick.
May I ask if you found out what the cause was and if it was repairable? We've been wondering what to do with this car since an electrical problem can be costly to get repaired. So we've been 'dealing' with the problems.
Please reply to let me know what happened in your situation.
BTW--my car is also a 92 Buick LeSabre with 94,800 miles.
The electrical problems started about 2 weeks ago and just recently did the 'surge' of the engine. I thought I was imagining things, but when I read your post, it was described perfectly.
thanks
dotnang

Add your comment to this topic!