oil pan removal

toronto pimp
10-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Ok, I have a major leak on exhaust coming from my oil pan gasket and I want to replace it myself. I'm reading my GAY Hayne's manual on how to remove oil pans and it's telling me that I have to lift my engine up slightly to take pressure off the lower engine mount so that I can take it off. Is it just me or does that sound retarded? Please tell me you don't really have to do that to take it off. anyone?

P.S. it' an 89dx hatch.

spongerlbc
10-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Nope you dont have to lift the engine.....Hayne's is just dumb :screwy: . Replacement of the gasket is pretty easy as long as your exhaust bolts arent rusty like mine were.

toronto pimp
10-09-2003, 06:49 PM
so im guessing its just drain the oil...take off oil filter and remove dipstick...unbolt exhaust and unbolt oil pan and thats it?

crxlvr
10-09-2003, 07:53 PM
you dont need to remove the filter, although you might as well replace it while your under there.

the oil pan has 12 10mm bolts(i think thats how many) just drop that down, then take the old gasket off, make sure its all off before you put the new one on. then tighten the bolts back up in an alternating pattern so you get an even seal around the gasket.

dan91SE
10-09-2003, 11:56 PM
This :disappoin :wtf: :swear: was the look on my face when I read Haynes' procedure.

If your exhaust bolts are rusted place a pipe on the end of your ratchet and they will come right off. Be carefull not to flip the car off the stands, the leverage you get from the pipe is directly related to the length of the pipe so do not use some 6 foot pipe.....

If that does not work heat the nuts with a welding torch for a couple of seconds at a time (you may need to remove plastics that are too close) and then take them off. Heat expands metal and you want to heat the nuts and take them off before the heat tranfers to the bolts. This way the bolts are cool and the nuts are warm and expanded; the nuts should be loose enough to remove without any effort if you do this properly.

Do not forget to place some antiseaze sealant on the new gasket. I also placed caliper grease on my exhaust bolts; I'm actually curious to see if it burnt off or if it's still there the next time I work on the exhaust system.

BullShifter
10-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Anti seize on the gasket? LOL
Caliper grease to the bolts?

How about using anti seize on the bolts & Hondabond on the gasket. You only need 4 dabs of it.
http://www.binghamtonlife.com/manual/2gsm/images/91-8-3.jpg

dan91SE
10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
I do not want to be rude but WTF is "hodabond" it was not included with the gasket when I purchased it. I used "kleen-flo" anti-seize & sealing compound on the gasket and oil pan bolts as it always worked fine when using it on military vehicles and weapon systems. Let me know the properties of Hondabond and I may switch....

As an aside I use caliper grease on exhaust bolts only because the antiseize compound was just burning off in a few years, theoretically the caliper grease should not burn until 550 degrees Celsius and the exhaust system should not reach that temperature in the first place (at least I do not think so, maybe inside the cat but not on the surface).

whtteg
10-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Hondabond is a RTV type sealer. It is absolutely necessary in order for the oil pan to not leak. Honda sells it and it is about $6-10 for a tube and you will never use the whole tube unless you do alot of work on hondas. It should last you the rest of the cars life and then some.

Edit: sorry just reread your post and i am not sure about the properties of hondabond but i know that it won't break down like some rtv sealants It is chemical resistant i believe. If you are still interested i will look at the tube i have and see if it has the info on it. Or you can call a honda dealership and ask the prts guy about it. But for most things just regular RTV sealer will work but I perfer the hondabond.

toronto pimp
10-10-2003, 08:10 PM
actually I got a Fel-Pro oil pan gasket and it specifically says install DRY in capitals on the back of the box just like i typed it.

whtteg
10-10-2003, 10:57 PM
actually I got a Fel-Pro oil pan gasket and it specifically says install DRY in capitals on the back of the box just like i typed it.

It will leak take it back and get a honda gasket. I have used fel pro crap before and they always leaked, put on a honda gasket and no more leaks.

Add your comment to this topic!