Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with Alclad II Prismatic paint

malsheem
10-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Last night was my first attempt at using Alclad Prismatic paints. I must have done something horribly wrong because it came out terrible. Uneven coloring, portions of the black base still visible, very rough, even looks like their specks of dust on it, but it's not dust. Is this normal? Will the eventual clearcoating fix these issues?

Quick rundown of my steps.
Sanded and cleaned the body as normal.
After drying, sprayed two light coats of Alclad gloss black base.
Let dry for 2 days, then lightly wetsanded the black with 3600 grit.
After drying, sprayed the Alclad Prismatic. I sprayed it at around 16-18psi, 2-3 inches from the body, and used up about half the bottle of paint. Sprayed at wide open nozzle with even paced passes.

Any help from those who have successfully apply these paints is greatly appreciated. Also any tips or advice about things to do pre and post painting of these paints is also very welcome. Thanks.

freakray
10-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Alclad offers some pretty good guidelines on their website on using their paints: http://www.alclad2.com/index2.html

BVC500
10-09-2003, 09:44 AM
The same thing happened to me! Mine was even, but was very rough.

dag65
10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you did everything correct but have too much airpressure going through the airbush. I have had the same prob with the Chrome, too much air not enough paint

malsheem
10-09-2003, 03:58 PM
I went to Alclad's page and several other pages with tips on spraying Alclad. Thought I did everything right. Maybe I am and I should be patient and check it out after clearcoating it? I guess if it still looks like crap, I dunk it in CSC and try again. Or maybe I should try spraying another prismatic coat on, with lower pressure, maybe closer? So confused.

dag65
10-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Thats a good idea, try laying down a little wetter coat, clearing it won't help the thin spots and in fact they might look worse. Don't get too frustrated I had a hard time with the chrome the first time or two. And like you say if it turns out bad its time for a trip to the purple pond! Good ol CSC

RallyRaider
10-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Did you use Alclad's own Gloss Black Base? If so that is an enamel to be used with their chrome, maybe a black lacquer would work better?

At any rate I've tried the Alclad prismatics and in my opinion they are crap for a scale model. The size of the flakes are way oversize (probably the dust you mentioned?). Maybe some of the colour changing nail polishes would be a better solution, never tried them myself.

Actually I have come to the conclusion that with the exception of their chrome, Alclad paints are way overrated. Sure they're nice but too expensive. There are other paints out there that do just as good a job for much cheaper. The GSI Greos (Gunze Sangyo) Mr Metal range and Model Masters Metalizers for example.

Nothing beats their chrome however.

malsheem
10-09-2003, 10:08 PM
I did use Alclad Gloss black base. I thought it was a lacquer, says Lacquer on the bottle.

Alclad is expensive. I don't use their chrome (since I dislike chrome), only their polished aluminum. All other metals I paint with Metallizers.

Can anyone suggest a paint color (or nail polish, etc) that is close to TVR's Reflex Purple? That's the color I'm going after.

I'm getting ready to lay down another layer in about an hour. Fingers crossed.

tonioseven
10-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Give me an example and I can help.
"Maybe some of the colour changing nail polishes would be a better solution, never tried them myself." They work just as well as HOK paints.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p67a7c474cea6ca286683da23c7ee5b2a/fb09213c.jpg

tazdev
10-10-2003, 02:09 AM
I used the gloss black base on my 350Z and it came out fine. Hardly even used any of the prismatic paint to.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL60/944371/1745642/35443408.jpg

RallyRaider
10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
I did use Alclad Gloss black base. I thought it was a lacquer, says Lacquer on the bottle.

Alclad is expensive. I don't use their chrome (since I dislike chrome), only their polished aluminum. All other metals I paint with Metallizers.

Can anyone suggest a paint color (or nail polish, etc) that is close to TVR's Reflex Purple? That's the color I'm going after.

I'm getting ready to lay down another layer in about an hour. Fingers crossed.

Hey if it works for you guys that is great, I've never tried using the black base under anything other than that recommended on the bottle i.e. chrome, polished aluminium and stainless steel; thay all require an enamel base. Just a thought since you didn't seem happy with the results.

Best of luck with the next coat!

Verminator
10-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Think your problem maybe sanding the gloss black befor you applied the colour coat, it needs to be over a high gloss finish and apply in thin coats to build up the colour, it will dry matt/satin and you will only see the proper colour when you clearcoat. I agree with some of the comments about flake size and air pressure but never had any issues using this paint.

jimbob
10-10-2003, 01:33 PM
HI

i have some of the tvr paint ur after.

Dont clear coat what u have done - it will just look worse!!

I think that u need to sand down what u have done and re apply the colour.

spray from more of a distance and mist on - this paint works by light reflection on the pigment in the paint - it needs to be put on more even to allow this to happen

let me know if u need more help - i have a lot of experience with these types of paint.

JIM

pcmodeler
10-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Yes, it must go over a black ENAMEL. Also, as mentioned, you shouldn't have wet sanded it. Needs to go over a high gloss surface.

Best bet was to lay down the black, lay down the ALCLAD, then clear coat it (I use duplicolor clear), then wet sand that, making sure not to go through the clear, until polished.

malsheem
10-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I didn't do any more last night, opted for sleep instead. Won't have time this weekend, so it'll be a perfect time for the CSC bath. Will try it again next week.

Yeah, I think the sanding the black was the killer. I'm just so used to sanding and smoothing every layer of paint on the body after it cures. Force of habit.

I'll post pics of the eventual successful paint job in my Y33 Cedric progress thread. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!