Page updated on 10-23-2017

Question on painting the bed of my F-150

kris
12-06-2001, 03:15 AM
Well, with the bed of this SVT F-150, I would like to pain the inside of the bed black, with a little trim piece around the top, so that it gives the look of a bedliner. Should I paint the whole thing red, then mask it off and paint the bedliner area black? Or should I mask off what would be black, so that I can paint the black on a primer surface, rather than a paint surface.

I am thinking mask things off, but I was just wondering what the pros think. :)

primera man
12-06-2001, 03:21 AM
Yeah...i'd probably go for painting the red on first then masking it and doing the black last

Guiddy
12-06-2001, 06:01 AM
Yeah, the black will have no problems sticking to the red!
You should only need to mask it off the once!

Jay!
12-06-2001, 03:15 PM
How much of a bedliner do you want? :p ;)

pkw1
12-07-2001, 04:27 AM
do you just want a bare painted steel bed liner, or do you want it to look like it's got those sprayed on truck liner protection coating on it?

to achieve the protection coating look, what you can do is get some bottled primer(not the spray stuff), put it in a bottle and let it sit uncovered for a little while just enough to get it to thicken, but not dry. then use a spray gun (turning the power to high because of the thick primer you need to spray out), but then, adjust the nossile opening to small(just enough for the powerful spray to "spit" thick chunks of primer unevenly on the liner (after masking the red paint), this will give it that uneven chunky look of real truck bed liners..

I learned that from when i use to built GUNDAM(basically a series of Japanese transformers) models and trying to get that desert war rusty look on them. :)

kris
12-07-2001, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by pkw1
do you just want a bare painted steel bed liner, or do you want it to look like it's got those sprayed on truck liner protection coating on it?

to achieve the protection coating look, what you can do is get some bottled primer(not the spray stuff), put it in a bottle and let it sit uncovered for a little while just enough to get it to thicken, but not dry. then use a spray gun (turning the power to high because of the thick primer you need to spray out), but then, adjust the nossile opening to small(just enough for the powerful spray to "spit" thick chunks of primer unevenly on the liner (after masking the red paint), this will give it that uneven chunky look of real truck bed liners..

I learned that from when i use to built GUNDAM(basically a series of Japanese transformers) models and trying to get that desert war rusty look on them. :)

Dang, that sounds like it would look nice. :)

But I dont have a airbrush :(

In the painting diagram, it shows that where the bedliner is, it needs to be painted black. Thats what I was wondering about.

Jay!
12-07-2001, 01:11 PM
Hehehe... that's sorta what I was referring to... There's something else you can use without an airbrush... It was in one of my magazines; I'll dig it out for you when I get home. :)

kris
12-07-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
Hehehe... that's sorta what I was referring to... There's something else you can use without an airbrush... It was in one of my magazines; I'll dig it out for you when I get home. :)

:right:

Jay!
12-08-2001, 03:09 AM
Here it is, from the March 2001 Scale Auto:
Rhino Liner
Recently, my youngest son, Graham, was working on a snap-together pickup truck kit. He asked if I could hel him put in a sprayed-on "Rhino Liner" bed liner like he had seen on television. The challenge was finding a way to simulate the sprayed-on finish in 1/24 scale. The last time I worked on a diorama project, I found a product called "Faux Granite." It's a water-based spraypaint that is applied to walls to create a rough texture. After a little experimentation, I discovered the texture could be altered by gently dabbing at it as the material began to set. I masked the truck and sprayed on the "granite" until I ad even coverage. Then I dabbed it to obtain a realistic texture. Finally, I painted it semigloss black. Model Paints will provide an effective sealer coat after the finish is dry.

Rich and Graham Robertson, Honolulu:D

Add your comment to this topic!