Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 R/T Stratus leaking coolant

hank_P
10-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Need some assistance in what to look for. Just picked the new car up on 9/30, and now this is the second time back for leaking coolant. The first time the mechanic said there was a "air pocket" in the system so it was flushed/pressurized "and everything would be okay". Well, the next day, same thing.. but it didn't leak at the dealer when we left, nor the trip home (about 40 miles).

Next day, start the car up, let it idle for about ten minutes and the next thing I know is that I have a new sprinkler in my garage, leaking radiator fluid. It's from the drivers side, not the overflow), it's underneth the engine somewhere as I can't see it leaking from any hoses, and it only leaks when the engine is running. I'm going back to the shop today to stick my foot up someone... but is there anything I need to be aware of so I'm not being fed some other ridiculous line.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Hank

01torchvette
11-24-2003, 05:58 PM
My wife's 2004 Stratus R/T Coupe was delivered the same day as yours... yesterday the motor wound up to 1300 rpm when stared cold and didn't settle down for quite a while. I popped the hood and noticed NO ANTIFREEZE in the overflow tank! The car has less than 1000 miles on it, I topped off the coolant (radiator was full) but it still spools up over 1000 rpm when started cold?!?

Anyway, if I discover any more coolant issues I'll let ya know asap.

barfly
12-06-2003, 01:38 PM
you both should just keep working with your dealership. hank_P, I would have them come and get the car, you can't drive far without any anti-freeze. And 01torchvette, sounds like you have a clogged or maybe a vaccum hose that came off or ripped. When you get them fixed, let us know what your resove was.

jcs98177
12-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Hank,
You need to have them look at the freeze plugs and check for a cracked head. what your describing sounds like one off the above to me with out seeing it. Also pull the dip stick to see if any water is getting in the oil. You didn't mention any runability issues but just to stay on the safe side. One other thing is if you have a automatic it could be a cooling line for the trans? Either way take it back and explain you want it corrected once and for all. Be cool, but let them know if you have to bring it back again you will contact Chrysler (Headquarters)

Add your comment to this topic!