Engine Light comes on once in a while

Green Machine 95
10-05-2003, 02:13 PM
My engine light comes on once in a while, its odd....the car doesnt act up or anything, I had it checked out, no problems. Last night I was riding in my car for a few hours and I went to go get something in the store, came back in my car, started it, light came on and it said to add oil and trans fluid now. Its weird, I did both a little bit ago, last time I check my oil percentage was at 70%, and Im not leaking oil or anything.

If anyone has any idea what this could be please let me know.

97 silverbullet
10-05-2003, 07:41 PM
well any northstar motor doesn't burn oil it uses it. i've had the same thing, I'll be a quart low. its ok it won't hurt the car just put a quart in when it says its low, and check the tranny fluid. its good that whoever did put the tranny fluid in put a little less because a little more could blow seals so just check the fluid and dont over fill it. if your check engine light is on just get the codes cleared then if they come on again get it checked out.

Chuckk1
11-06-2003, 01:33 PM
There's over 1000 things that can make that light come on. Mine comes on and off all the time in my '98 (60K miles). Only way to know is to hook up computer while light is on and get the trouble code. I pretty much ignore that damn light....

Indy8
11-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Intermittent light is most often a slight misfire condition. You may not even feel it. Just arcing between wires will be detected. Poor fuel quality or not enough octane will set it off. Even a gas cap thats not sealing will. These are the most common causes and easiest to check areas. The computer is saving it every time it happens and a scan tool can help establish a pattern that can lead to the source as well as reset everything. Sometimes the DIC will act up when codes are being set off. Don't worry about it as long as you know what your levels are.

Green Machine 95
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
these cars are too smart!!! what is next, whenever I hop in the car it will say on the computer: Hello, Ryan, thank you for turning me on.

that would be awesome, heh

Indy8
11-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah, the next big thing in RKE(remote keyless entry)is no key at all. Just a card, like a new hotel key but smaller, that you push into a slot in the dash and then use a push button starter like the old days. The scary part is the driver recognition security technology. Some companies are working on thumb print reading door handles but some new Lexus and Mercedes already have a system on new models that somehow "knows who you are" and unlocks the door when you are REACHING FOR THE DOOR HANDLE! Wow.

dsatt12
11-10-2003, 02:00 AM
... but some new Lexus and Mercedes already have a system on new models that somehow "knows who you are" and unlocks the door when you are REACHING FOR THE DOOR HANDLE! Wow.

What do you mean 'somehow'?. You must not have gotten your new Personal Identification/Thought Control Module installed as stipulated by that clause in the USA Patriot Act...

mikelebo99
10-04-2004, 11:00 AM
I was having problems getting my gas cap to screw back in correctly. I didnt want to start messing around with at the gas station so I just put it in, closed the cover and drove home. A few days later my engine light comes on, I say to myself "What now?" I remember on some thread that if the gas cap is not on correctly it could trigger the light. Obviosly I forgot to fix my gas cap so I got my gas cap screwed on, after 10 min of driving... engine light OFF!!!!! Whalla!!!

Berlin IV
10-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I had this same problem and it was throwing a few codes, a misfire code and some air code, I will check my records later for specifics, but anyway the indicators would go on and off as well. I took it to the dealer and they fixed whatever the problem was. Make sure to try and reset the computer unit engine button for Oil and Tranny when you replace it.

apostolakisl
10-16-2004, 12:39 AM
I bought a code reader for $50.00 and have to say it was a good move, especially in situations like this. It's very easy to check and clear the codes now and the thing fits in the glove box. I got mine from harbor freight tools. I thought it was a bit odd that this place sold basically wood working tools and one automotive tool. . . this code reader.

The Rebel
10-16-2004, 09:03 PM
I was having problems getting my gas cap to screw back in correctly. I didnt want to start messing around with at the gas station so I just put it in, closed the cover and drove home. A few days later my engine light comes on, I say to myself "What now?" I remember on some thread that if the gas cap is not on correctly it could trigger the light. Obviosly I forgot to fix my gas cap so I got my gas cap screwed on, after 10 min of driving... engine light OFF!!!!! Whalla!!!

:2cents:This also applies to when your running low on fuel, real low. Air gets sucked into the line causing the check engine light to come on. But, once or twice you fill-up the light will go off. So don't run low on fuel keep it above 1/2 if you can. (loose gas cap also can trigger this code.)

Add your comment to this topic!