Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clearcoats

modelmantru
10-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question about painting with water-based acrylics.......I have just started using these paints, and so far like them, but was wondering what is the best clearcoat to use on them??

Thanks
Modelmantru

10-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Any clearcoat should work with acrylics, I've used water-base, enamel, and automotive clearcoat over them with success. If you want a water wash-up clearcoat to airbrush, Polly S "Gloss Clear" works well.

chaos
10-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Any clearcoat should work with acrylics, I've used water-base, enamel, and automotive clearcoat over them with success. If you want a water wash-up clearcoat to airbrush, Polly S "Gloss Clear" works well.

Aren't automotive clears lacquer based? Cos I had a bad reaction when I sprayed over acrylics. To be safe - I guess you'd be safer sticking to acrylic based clearcoats when clearcoating an acrylic basecoat.

weaponCIVIC
10-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question about painting with water-based acrylics.......I have just started using these paints, and so far like them, but was wondering what is the best clearcoat to use on them??

Thanks
Modelmantru
i use testors enamel clear coat with water-based acrylics and it works perfect. its easy to use cause the clear is in a can......you should wait about 15 minutes b4 you put the clear coat on or else it can have a bad reaction. if you rush, and dont wait atleast 15 minutes the paint will appear like its coming off, leave it alone, and it will proabably be fine.

modelmantru
10-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions..... Sounds like I have several options to try......That is good, as I am an experimenter anyway!!!

Modelmantru

Add your comment to this topic!