Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advise Please, Should I buy a Boxster?

Ralfy
10-03-2003, 03:37 PM
In no way do I fashion myself as a automobile expert. I came here to seek advise from those with more knowledge of fine cars than myself. My question is:

My wife wants a convertible. Should I buy the Boxster, SLK230, Z4, 3-series convertible, TT, other? Is the Porsche going to require a lot of expensive maintenance? Is a car I can put a couple of hundred thousand miles on? Those of you that know more than I can help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.....................

tegdude
10-16-2003, 11:25 PM
3 words!! SUBURU WRX STI

MioCLK
10-25-2003, 10:08 AM
In no way do I fashion myself as a automobile expert. I came here to seek advise from those with more knowledge of fine cars than myself. My question is:

My wife wants a convertible. Should I buy the Boxster, SLK230, Z4, 3-series convertible, TT, other? Is the Porsche going to require a lot of expensive maintenance? Is a car I can put a couple of hundred thousand miles on? Those of you that know more than I can help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.....................

It actually depends on what kind of car your wife really want.
Does she want a convertible with just 2 seats? or 4?
Driving a 2 seater also means less shopping bags for her (just kidding :iceslolan but they do have tiny trunk space.)
If the car will be a daily driver, I would suggest a 4-seater like the 3 series convertible. These cars also offers a more comfortable ride.
As for the 2-seaters. The space of the interior is very "limited", (although you will have unlimited head room when you open the top)
The SLK will get a fresh new look in the Spring of 2004.
So you might want to wait until then.
And before that, I bet Mercedes dealers should have discounts for current SLKs in order to make room for the new SLKs.
The TT should have be re-designed pretty soon, as it had already been on the market for many years.
I haven't heard much good things about the Z4 (Z3 too) so I would leave that one alone.
Boxster...only if your wife wants a pure sports car and gives up on shopping. Porsches are also not a good daily driver, as the
maintenence fee are too expensive.
For Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.
They all offer free scheduled maintenece during the life of the warranty.
I own a 2001 CLK 430 (nearly 28,000miles) and I had my car serviced twice, both services cost me nothing.
As for my brother, he owns a 1999 Porsche 911,
one oil change means hundreds of dollars out of his pocket.
But it comes to what your wife really wants.
My suggestion is shop around to find the best deals.
And test drive all the cars she has in mind
Because thats when you really know whether you want the car or not.

Sexy beast
10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
The question you should be asking yourself is "why haven't I bought a Boxter?" The Boxter is a work of art, completely hand crafted in Germany...as for the SUBURU WRX STI, that thing is dreadfull, not even fit to be used as an out-house.

LjasonL
10-28-2003, 02:02 AM
The question you should be asking yourself is "why haven't I bought a Boxter?" The Boxter is a work of art, completely hand crafted in Germany...as for the SUBURU WRX STI, that thing is dreadfull, not even fit to be used as an out-house.

Care to explain? :rolleyes:

Jeez I swear, every single time I see you post, it's something stupid with no basis in reality. Do you ever just get tired of being an idiot?

I have to admit though, an STi is a really friggin wierd suggestion for a convertible :eek7:

Sexy beast
10-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Care to explain? :rolleyes:

Jeez I swear, every single time I see you post, it's something stupid with no basis in reality. Do you ever just get tired of being an idiot?

I have to admit though, an STi is a really friggin wierd suggestion for a convertible :eek7:

Well that was rude!

partsguy
11-01-2003, 02:10 PM
A Boxster would be a good choice, a wonderful well balanced car, you have a front and rear storage area so use soft side luggage and you're OK. MioCLK mentioned the oil change for a hundred bucks, they run Mobil one and are dry sump systems with 9 qts so it's not a $19.95 deal, so if his brother spent $70 or $80,000 for the car what's the big deal?? Go take one for an extended test ride and enjoy it. An SLK with the top down has far less storage than a Boxster, which loses no room with the top down. Not that it means anything to me, but Porsche is still more exclusive than a Benz. You can find a benz anywhere, but how many Porsches do you see a day??

chicago_guy
11-09-2003, 02:21 PM
my stepdad owns a 2000 boxster s. It has the nicest ride of any car iv ever ridden in, it is quick, and it has 2 trunks. Albeit theyre not large, but he can fit his raquetball bag in the back, and that bag is big.

originalmike
12-10-2003, 09:54 AM
The Honda S2000 isnt bad for a convertible sportscar, though its not in the same league as the porsche.

Boxsterdave
02-01-2004, 01:14 PM
3 words.... NOT A SUBURA..........I own a boxster 98. It is almost maintainence free. It is very reliable, build quality.. well its posrche.

Electric hood, power, speed, looks, girlfreinds, respect... just think of the possablities. But stay away from s2000 and subaru.. i have read very very bad reports on them, bare in mind the subaru's 2nd piston melts at high speed.. so even the new STI cant match the boxster!

mrsmith1976
11-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Get a boxter...there is nothing like driving a porsche..

cobrainc
12-13-2004, 08:15 PM
if you dont have kids the porsche, S2k, crossfire, and the tt roadster are really fun cars to hit the backroads with your wife or for her to go shopping. i have a 330ci conv. nice car with small backseat and trunk.i looked @ the porsch, crossfire, audi , and S2k for a fun car for myself, but with six kids and the possibility of having to haul them if my suv is not available, I hose a sti for a project car. Stock it was much faster than my 330, and after a few mods my wife hesitates driving it at all. if it were jut her and I , my chouce would have been the audi or the conv crossfire.

Add your comment to this topic!