Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine bearing help.

Buzz1167
10-01-2003, 03:09 PM
I have a b20b engine and im going to be replacing the pistons and the rods, when I posted some questions on the other fourm (lets get technichal) Someone said that I should look into getting new crank/rod bearings. I found about 0 help on the internet until I found a place that showed these "bearings" whitch defy my definition of a bearing (but thats beyond the point) Im looking for a place that sells the "bearings" for the crank and the rods and I notice as I looked around, that people plasticguage them after you put them in to see if they are "within spec" and I guess my question is, how do I know what bearings I need, becuase I assume they aren't uniform replacements for the same motor(thus the need to guage/change them) Also, does anyone else have an opinion on wether I need to change these out or not, ive got 97000 miles on it so far. I figure I would, but I dont know how long they are supposed to last, and I dont know If i need new ones becuase Im planning to up the HP on my engine.
Also, would stock replacements work fine in this application, or should I be looking for aftermarket parts? (I guess that goes along with the, "who sells them" question.)

Any help would be apprecated:
Thanks,
Buzz1167
Jon N

JDMsweetz
10-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey, first off I have a b20z. :) So I guess this kinda relates.

Anyway...you can get the rod and crank bearings at any local automotive parts store. In fact, I just got my b20 back from the machine shop and i am about to put the block back together. You will need to get new crank bearings and rod bearings. Go to a local parts shop and ask for 1997 Honda CRV 2.0 DOHC 5 speed crank bearings and rod bearings. They will have the crank bearings , but they might now have the rod bearings, if they dont have the rod bearings ask for 94 Acura Integra LS 1.8 DOHC non-vtec rod 5 speed rod bearings. Don't worry the rod bearings on an ls and crv are the same, caue i did the same thing. well i hope that helps if it doesn't then just get back at me. :)

s w e e t z

Buzz1167
10-01-2003, 04:43 PM
So in other words, there isn't some special super duper "bearing", the stock configuration will be fine? Also, what is ther difference between the vtec and the non vtec bearings. does anyone know? I was wondering becuase Im going to be making this a vtec soon after, so if theres a difference Id want to know.

Also, how much did you end up spending on the "bearings"? And does one bearing fit all the rods for the car (stock,eagle,other brands), or is that a problem too?

Thanks for the help,
Buzz1167
Jon N

crxlvr
10-02-2003, 08:33 AM
it is a good idea to replace the bearings while your in there anyway, as a precaution. You should be able to use the stock bearings with aftermarket goods as long as they are the same size/shape as the stock unit. i got my new bearings from Toga Performance.

i forget the web name, but just do a search.

Add your comment to this topic!