A New Charger???

Pages : [1] 2

AkinaSpeedStar
09-30-2003, 12:06 AM
A couple years ago i remember seeing a new charger concept car, now with the reintroduction of the hemmie and the rummor of a dukes of hazard movie, dodge has to be thinking of reintroduceing the charger, the concept i saw looked like a 68-69 charger it was a sick color of orange. so does anyone out there know whats up? is the charger gona make a come back?

Sidewinder-03
10-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I saw in my local newspaper the the new Charger will be availiable sometime next year.

2kidstoo
10-17-2003, 03:30 AM
I read a feature article in a car mag. it had pictures and all. It looked like a 68 Charger, sort of. It was also going to be a natural gas runner with a big block. The article was pre new hemi.

Very nice looking car. Strange though, it was a four door. Even with the four doors it still was very cool and would make your yuppy neighbor jelous.

jayman12_23
10-19-2003, 01:18 AM
sounds cool but :useless:

Blackbird3
11-13-2003, 07:26 AM
:grinno: Here ya go:

http://www.classics.com/images/rod00-29.jpg

If you wanna see more use Google's image search and type in "Dodge Charger Concept"

:sunglasse

Blackbird3
11-13-2003, 07:39 AM
Some info to go with this:

This concept was built in 1999, pre-Daimler and pre-Hemi. It had a V8 4.7L supercharged engine running on CNG (compressed natural gas) and made 315 hp.

AkinaSpeedStar
11-14-2003, 11:27 AM
thats not the concept charger i saw, and are you sure its a chager it looks kina like a viper and there are viper signs behind it too. but that car does look pretty cool

Blackbird3
11-14-2003, 12:06 PM
thats not the concept charger i saw, and are you sure its a chager it looks kina like a viper and there are viper signs behind it too. but that car does look pretty cool

Yup, it's a Charger concept from 1999. See these:
(note the date the pics were taken)
Charger concept (http://www.acarshow.com/chgcpt.html)

Charger collection (http://www.modernmopars.org/mm-admin/wallpaper/1999%20Dodge%20Charger%20RT.jpg)

Since this is from 1999 it is possible that they've designed a new one, because I heard the Charger name was supposed to replace the Intrepid one in NASCAR in 2005 or so, and there has to be a production version to do that.

rkcuda
11-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Thats the one I saw too, Really cool. I would buy one!

blindside.AMG
11-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Yeah, where can I make a down payment?

Hemi511
12-17-2003, 07:11 PM
looks like an Intrepid to me

rkcuda
12-17-2003, 10:01 PM
looks like an Intrepid to me
Well here is a better look
http://www.acarshow.com/chgcpt.html

Hemi511
12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
still looks like an intrepid to me

streethemi426
12-21-2003, 12:00 PM
I Hope They Dont Bring It Back Cus I Know They Wont Ne Powered By Big V8 Engines,if The Charger Was To Come Back I Say With A 426 Hemi V8 Ltd Production, But Has To Be King Of The Strret If It Aint Faster Than Corvettes And Import Jap Cars And Supercars Etc Just Like The Hemi Powered Cars Of The Muscle Car Era Kicked Ferrari Butts On The Strip Then They Can Forget It

blacktruck78
12-22-2003, 12:36 AM
The 1999 concept idea was scrapped when Daimler bought chrysler. However, there are RUMORS circulating that the Charger is, in fact, gonna be reintroduced as a rear driver thanks to the kind folks of Daimler Chrysler. Supposedly it is going to have the new HEMI in it too. We can only hope. With that kind of power driving the rear wheels, Musrats and chebbies are going to be falling all over themselves to try to be the first one to outrun it...LOL

69WiLdcaT
12-27-2003, 06:31 PM
the new hemi is nothing... the old hemi was nothing... but the new one only has 345 horses... the new GTO has 350... so if the charger does come back it'll be just like back in the 60s... getting smoked by the GTO

Hemi511
12-27-2003, 07:06 PM
yeah right

69WiLdcaT
12-29-2003, 10:27 AM
yeah right....? a 5.7 liter 345 horse hemi YEAH that's POWER.... :disappoin

savage68
01-01-2004, 08:03 PM
if you think that 5 horsepower = an automatic win with that ugly looking piece that GM put out called a "GTO" then you have a ways to go in learning what makes a car fast. Chrystler's suspension technology and driveline that back up whatever beast of an engine goes under the hood will surely put any GTO to shame.... just like back in the days... yes ... the days when musclecars truely ruled the streets and chargers were smoking GTO's by the boatload. Why else would they skimp out on the interior qualities... oh yeah.. thats right.. cuz they put their money in the engine technology and made beefy tranny's like the a-833 hemi 4-speed to throw the mad horsepower to the ground instead of the goats that skimpered to the sidelines with their whopping 400 ci cast manifold POS's..

learn your lingo before opening your mouth.. and get a second opinion before you blindly go out and buy a yellow "gto" that looks like a cavalier

Hemi511
01-01-2004, 09:46 PM
if you think that 5 horsepower = an automatic win with that ugly looking piece that GM put out called a "GTO" then you have a ways to go in learning what makes a car fast. Chrystler's suspension technology and driveline that back up whatever beast of an engine goes under the hood will surely put any GTO to shame.... just like back in the days... yes ... the days when musclecars truely ruled the streets and chargers were smoking GTO's by the boatload. Why else would they skimp out on the interior qualities... oh yeah.. thats right.. cuz they put their money in the engine technology and made beefy tranny's like the a-833 hemi 4-speed to throw the mad horsepower to the ground instead of the goats that skimpered to the sidelines with their whopping 400 ci cast manifold POS's..

learn your lingo before opening your mouth.. and get a second opinion before you blindly go out and buy a yellow "gto" that looks like a cavalier

good man,but the GTO wasn't the slowest car out there

savage68
01-02-2004, 01:13 PM
may not have been the slowest... but when someone talks smack about old school mopars... its pretty obvious that their idols need to be put in their place. Modern mopar may not be what it used to be but its still mopar with a history of kicking ass and that includes GTO's

Chavez408
01-10-2004, 02:17 AM
mmmm i still like the old charger then this new one! :icon16:

fat tom
03-14-2004, 11:24 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-36806.html This is the real concept there are at least 50 pics in there plus info and the hemi is a 5.7liter v8 that puts out more than 350hp plus the new charger should weigh about 400lbs less than the gto so it will kick its ass. i love gto's dont get me wrong but the new charer will b one fast bitch....im just glad muscle cars are making a comeback

RedLightning
03-22-2004, 10:54 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4507599/

RedLightning
03-22-2004, 10:58 PM
the new hemi is nothing... the old hemi was nothing... but the new one only has 345 horses... the new GTO has 350... so if the charger does come back it'll be just like back in the 60s... getting smoked by the GTO

there are rumers of the gto getting the ls2, and a judge from slp, which is true. the new hemi really is nothing to keep up with the new gto its gunna have to be blown.

DukeGirl01
04-10-2004, 07:54 PM
This is the one I saw in Michigan in 2000.

http://www.potomacweb.com/autoshow/charger.html

BleedDodge
04-10-2004, 08:09 PM
I guess that 69WiLdcaT guy has never ridden in an old hemi...

DukeGirl01
04-10-2004, 08:11 PM
New Charger Stats:

* 4.7 liter V8 (320 horsepower and runs on compressed gas).

* 4 wheel fully independent suspension.

* Pistol Grip manual transmission shifter knob.

* 4 doors (to improve access to the rear seats).

* Fully functional dual exhaust.

BleedDodge
04-10-2004, 08:14 PM
It's going to be too expensive. Dodge made a mistake again because most people won't be able to afford a car like this, and so they'll go and get a Mustang or a Camaro or something.

DukeGirl01
04-10-2004, 08:17 PM
How much do you think it will cost? I was thinking somewhere around the $30,000 range. You think it's going to be more like $50,000?

If so, then, yeah everyone could go buy a Camaro or Stang.

BleedDodge
04-10-2004, 08:22 PM
If Dodge can sell a base model pickup truck for 25000 Canadian dollars then they can surely ask a lot more for a sports car.

I'm sure the price will be really high.

DukeGirl01
04-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Well, I guess they shouldn't expect to sell many then if they're going to be priced that high. I mean I can get a Dodge Viper here for $80,000 so if they're going to be the same price... might aswell get the best Dodge as has to offer :)

tommychau
04-13-2004, 04:26 PM
I would hope that if they do come out with a production model, they will stay true as much as possible to the original bodyworks! I just love the way they concealed the rear two doors. From a distance, you will initially think it is a 2 door coupe!

I would definitely buy one if it is moderately priced just for collectors sake! Makes me wish I did not get rid of my first year turbo production 1985 Shelby Charger!

pimp_squeak
04-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I think a quad coupe would be best, same access to the rear seats but it doesnt compromize the "sports car" image. plus I think that the new GTO could whip just about anything that DC could put on the road, viper included. I'm not saying it's the be all and end all but the LS2 has alot of potential, retuned or with a vette chip you can get 450 HP easy out of it not to mention all the old LS1 aftermarket parts that will fit it.

BleedDodge
04-14-2004, 09:47 PM
What the general public needs is something to put up with Camaros, Mustangs, and Firebirds. This new Charger will probably be out of this kind of league, and closer to that of the Viper. Then you're racing Corvettes and GT40's, and even Vipers.

I don't believe that it's going to be affordable like a Mustang, Firebird, or Camaro, and so everyone will still keep buying those instead.

In the mid-eighties, Chrysler had no real contender for those GM and Ford "muscle cars", and so what we're left with are those Shelby Chargers, Daytonas, and Turismos. What else can you do?

tommychau
04-17-2004, 05:42 PM
What the general public needs is something to put up with Camaros, Mustangs, and Firebirds. This new Charger will probably be out of this kind of league, and closer to that of the Viper. Then you're racing Corvettes and GT40's, and even Vipers.

I don't believe that it's going to be affordable like a Mustang, Firebird, or Camaro, and so everyone will still keep buying those instead.

In the mid-eighties, Chrysler had no real contender for those GM and Ford "muscle cars", and so what we're left with are those Shelby Chargers, Daytonas, and Turismos. What else can you do?

Welp, as stated earlier, I used to own a 85 first generation Turbo Shelby Charger. Added high performance chip with free flowing exhaust back in the days. This thing eats Camaros and Firebirds and Mustangs when playing light to light and some 1/4 runs. Not much on top speeds but very rarely play with top end anyways.

As far as today goes, I think the Neon SRT/4 is the closest competitor to today's stangs. Camaro's and Firebirds are past relics now. With the GTO as the only r/w drive vehicle in the market right now other than the vette.

BleedDodge
04-17-2004, 07:51 PM
A lot of people think that rear wheel drive is cooler though. You get an SRT-4 and it's a rice rocket, sure it beats Mustangs and Camaros and stuff like that, but it's a 4 banger weed eater car.

I'd much rather a V8 RWD muscle car to a FWD 4 cylinder, but that doesn't mean I don't like these FWD cars. My friend has a '91 Eagle Talon that is very fast, and I think it's pretty cool.

tommychau
04-17-2004, 09:04 PM
A lot of people think that rear wheel drive is cooler though. You get an SRT-4 and it's a rice rocket, sure it beats Mustangs and Camaros and stuff like that, but it's a 4 banger weed eater car.

I'd much rather a V8 RWD muscle car to a FWD 4 cylinder, but that doesn't mean I don't like these FWD cars. My friend has a '91 Eagle Talon that is very fast, and I think it's pretty cool.

I agree. I grew up back in the 70's and 80's where r/w drive was still pretty dominant and classic trends. But the 80's muscle car V8's were way underpowered and just did not have the power like it did in the 70's. Still remember what a joke it was when GM made those smaller engines to save fuel. Those 5.0 305's and 307's just did not have the sponk like the good ole 350's and even 327's. So I mainly opted the 4cyl turbo's as those cars have excellent power/weight ratios back in the 80's. the 85 shelby charger I had was doing 7.5's 0-60 and mid 15's in the quarter in its factory stock trim with a 146 hp bulletproof 2.2 engine mated to a 5 speed. With the new chip and free flowing exhaust, I was pushing 7 sec on 0-60 and 14.8-15.0 on 1/4 mile runs. I was happy with that car and also it gets 30 mpg on the highway and 23 in the city!

In the 80's I think when Lee Iocoa (sp) took over and Carol Shelby came to play with the 4 cyl technology back when times about saving gas and losing some weight on the vehicles during the oil crisis, Chrysler/Dodge was looking in the right direction. They were the underdawgs and man, they sure did put a black eye on GM and Ford when it came to their small block V8's r/w drive sports cars VS. Dodge's f/w drive 4cyl turbos. Cost per performance, Dodge gots it. I bought that 85 Shelby Charger so I can brag about a car that runs nose to nose with most moden day muscle cars back in the 80's and still get 30 mpg on the highway!

I think the 85 Shelby Charger is comparable to today's Neon SRT/4 in terms of cost per performance. In 85, the shelby Charger turbo only cost around 10k-12k. Today, the SRT/4 runs around 21k. Not a bad price increase given almost 20 years adjustment for inflation and better technology.

BleedDodge
04-18-2004, 03:10 PM
I heard that.

68-70charger
04-20-2004, 05:02 AM
I do not like the new concept. Ford did the same with the mustang. The looks have changed to look like imports. 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation Chargers have that Charger Look.

RedLightning
04-20-2004, 06:29 PM
mmmm i still like the old charger then this new one! :icon16:

very interesting sig, and no complaints from me!

Roscoe86
04-21-2004, 11:17 PM
The new GTO is quick, although very conservative with the styling. It doesn't look the part of a high-hp RWD sports car, but it is still quick nonetheless. That being said, i don't think people realise how close the GTO and SRT-4 are in performance. The GTO has been tested and ran 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, with a 1/4 time of 13.7-8 i believe. The SRT-4, with 120 less horsepower and the launching woes of FWD still pulled a 0-60 time of 5.3 and the 1/4 in 13.9. that's pretty freakin' close. I would say that if the SRT-4 was a RWD car, it could maybe edge out a GTO in performance. Something to think about. Also something else to think about, is the new Magnums and 300C's. A 300C was tested at 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. I'm sure that 300C weighs 2-400 pounds more than the GTO also, being a 4-door sedan. And having a 5-speed auto, with 10-less horsepower. Rumors had it that the new Charger, which will be a 4-door as it is being made as an Intrepid replacement to fill the gap in the lineup for a sedan, was to be powered by a 6.1L (383) Hemi. It was also supposed to be debuting at the New York Autoshow, but that didn't happen either. Nevertheless, if the new Charger is anything like it's rumored to be, we're looking at a very quick (albeit un-Charger-esque 4-door) Mopar. If the 6.1L Hemi follows the 5.7L's power output of 1hp per ci, we're looking at around 380+ horsepower and well over 400lb-ft. of torque. I hope the rumors are true. :D

BleedDodge
04-23-2004, 10:29 PM
A 6.1 wouldn't equal 383 inches though.

slantsixness
04-27-2004, 09:21 AM
"New" Charger....
Warmed over intrepid. Don't like the grille, the 4 doors (crap!)
if that's what they come up with as a "reminiscent" styled muscle car, I think I'd rather have a Crossfire... or a Viper. at least they look and fit the part, although the crossfire is underpowered Benz made crap... and they Viper is tyoo expensive.

tomcat21
06-05-2004, 05:39 PM
I have an original 68 R/T with 40K original miles. I would/will buy the new one as soon as it is available and be proud to park it next to my 68. The styling of the new one I saw at the FL auto show blew me away it is killer.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/191527front5.jpg

What is not to like?

And for you folks talking about the GTO.....lol, it's made in Australia not the US!

ronph1
06-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Will Dodge take a back seat to the new 2005 Ford Mustang. Chevy pulls the Camaro and Firebird from their line-up and Ford now owns the market in retro styling. What will Dodge do?

Bring back the days of true muscle cars. Make MOPAR mean something again. While the baby boomers are at the age of wanting to feel like their 20 again and while classic Mopar muscle cars are bringing record highs at the auto auctions, now's the time!

While car manufactures are building SUV's, minivans and 4-door's Iím wondering who's running the show these days. No wonder why auto rebates are at an all time high. Anyone can sell a 35K auto for 25K when nobody really desires the car. The key is to sell a 35K car for 35K to someone that desires the car and wants to wash the car every weekend and take the car out at night because they love driving it. The same feeling you get when you sit in a mint 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum, not the feeling to get when you sit in a 2004 Honda Accord. So I say bring back the Dodge Charger, the Roadrunner and the Challenger. Step up and donít screw up.

2005 Pontiac GTO, what a screw up.

Words of advice to Dodge.

Real Classic Design
Real HP (none of this 200hp V6 crap)
Make "R/T" mean something again.
Less is more.
Limited production! (If you drop a HEMI into everything it will become the next "Who cares")
Quality not Quantity.

VIEW THE NEW CHARGER HERE!

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge/

proud owner of a 68 Charger R/T 440 Magnum

EVH5150
06-30-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm glad they're bringing back the charger, however I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't stay with the origional '99 concept design. It had more of the styling cues of the old Chargers.
Whattya all think?

slantsixness
07-07-2004, 07:33 AM
I think it's a disgrace to call this thing a charger, they already ruined the charger, Duster and Roadrunner names in the 80's (or was the Volare Roadrunner abortion in the late 70's...?)

Charger = 2 door. (not 2 hidden rear doors either)
and a hemi.
and RWD (even if I had a lot of fun with FWD turbo cars)
and affordably priced.

Chrysler, as much as I like all their cars over the years, doesn't give a squat about any of us and what we think.
So, it'll be a four door overpriced Intrepid one-off and Mr. Moron the average american will buy one because of it's "heritage" just like the Shelby Charger, the new Thunderbird, and the everlasting/everchanging/always missing the mark Camaro/firebird/mustang cars.

Ok, I'm done ranting.

lil red
09-02-2004, 11:02 PM
I think it would be kinda cool to see a new charger come out but, in my opion you just can't top the origal 69'

xXxRocker5150
09-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Hold up a second guys, Isn't that the dodge copperhead? It would make sense with the color and stylings and everything. The concept charger as far as I saw was maroon type color, but I could be wrong

Herzeleid828
09-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Whats a charger with out hid-away headlights?

Blackbird3
09-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Hold up a second guys, Isn't that the dodge copperhead? It would make sense with the color and stylings and everything. The concept charger as far as I saw was maroon type color, but I could be wrong

This is the Dodge Copperhead:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/110456copperhead-1.jpg

Blackbird3
09-11-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm glad they're bringing back the charger, however I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't stay with the origional '99 concept design. It had more of the styling cues of the old Chargers.
Whattya all think?

The '99 concept was definitely a keeper:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/1104560404phr_dodge_02_z_c-med.jpg

...but I'm not sure yet if I like the latest artist concept:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/1104560404phr_dodge_01_z-med.jpg

RedLightning
09-11-2004, 01:52 PM
check out the latest issue of c/d, they have a picture of what it hopefully wont look like a clone of the 300C.

BleedDodge
09-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm just going to buy a lease return 2005 Mustang in 2007 and be done with it. Brand loyalty doesn't really mean anything to me. I like Dodge trucks so I drive them. I like some Mopar cars, the old ones. Dodge hasn't made me a new fast RWD V8 2 door car yet so I'm just going to have to get a Mustang I guess.

I don't think DC likes making money or something. They could so easily if they would just release a car like this.

xXxRocker5150
09-11-2004, 11:51 PM
That latest picture you posted Blackbird In my opinoin looks Really similar to the new magnum... Honestly though I think the new charger concepts are kind of a joke, I mean really nothing beats a 68-70 charger, man those we're sweet. We (my dad and I) have a 70 Charger R/T and a 70 Roadrunner, and I like em' better than any car hands down (including ferrari's and all that jazz). When I'd heard about the new concept car I was just like o hell yes, but when it turns out to somthing slighty resmpling a dodge stealth I got really sad and dissapointed....

kman10587
09-13-2004, 02:13 PM
I read in Car and Driver that Dodge was working on a new Charger for '05 or '06.

This should be interesting. First the GTO, then the old-school Mustang, and now this. And I hear the Chevelle may come back as well :)

EVH5150
09-16-2004, 09:39 AM
They had a concept Chevelle on show at the Hot Rod power tour that ended at Lambeau field in Green Bay. My buddy has pictures of it and have to say looks pretty sweet.

kman10587
09-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I think Ford should bring back the Torino now since the Mustang isn't a muscle car, it's a pony car. But I know they won't :)

j_bradley
10-13-2004, 08:16 PM
i've heard they were gonna have a 4-door version of the charger too, also a bigger hemi for 2006

Add your comment to this topic!