dashboard lights out!!!!

toptech8210
09-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Does anybody out there has any instructions on how to take the dashboard apart? to troubleshoot the lights.
These lights stop working on my astro about a month ago and I haven't been able to figure it out. Is like a loose connection or something because sometimes they come on by themselves for a while.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

toptech8210.

BOOZER
10-10-2003, 10:44 AM
You didnt say what year vehicle, so ill point out the odvious. First thing to check out is the I/P dimmer switch, most are on a ceramic circuit board
that has a tendancy to crack. Its the rotary knob you use to dim the dash lights, next to H/L switch.
If the lights work irratically I dought there is a cluster problem. Good luck.

chuy22
10-26-2003, 09:11 PM
My rear wiper switch and the rear a/c switch lights are out. Turn on when the feel like it. Does anyone know if I have to replace the switches. I have a 2000 astro ls :screwy:

KATAZ
12-18-2003, 02:33 AM
in Alot Of These Vans When You Install An After Market Radio Wrong Your Dim Lights Wont Work Or They Will Be Working Funny, If You Have Had An Aftermarket Radio Installed Make Sure The Installation Is Accurate, Peace

chuy22
12-22-2003, 10:08 PM
My rear wiper switch and the rear a/c switch lights are out. Turn on when the feel like it. Does anyone know if I have to replace the switches. I have a 2000 astro ls :screwy:

I have the stock theflock radio with the slave cd player in it. Now my passanger door lock motor is out. I hate this van. Too may eletrical problems. Maybe I should just junk it, after all its only a 2000. This is what I get for buying domestic. Have bought japanese before and never any problems.

KATAZ
12-22-2003, 11:18 PM
i Think What You Have Is A Short Circuit From A Constant 12+ Wire, Either The Positive Wire Is Hitting Ground (touching Metal) Which Is Causing Alot Of These Problems, Or perhaps its your fuse box, I Dont Think You Should Junk This Vehicle Just Take It To A Auto Electrician And They Should Find The Problem, Just My Thoughts, Peace

1981camaro
02-14-2004, 04:28 AM
i had a 93 astro same problem.. after i nose dived it into a ditch totalling it.. they worked again.. i'm not kidding

gptunah
07-06-2004, 09:08 PM
If you are still looking for help with this....I had no dash lights when I got my 'stro last fall. I took the dash apart and brought the instrument cluster panel in to the chevy parts counter and asked for help. they told me that it might be the dimmer switch for the dash lights since all the lights were not working. they were right! when I took the dimmer apart it was dirty. I cleaned it with denatured alcohol and put it back in and it works great. I decided to replace the bulbs too since I had it apart. good luck, Peter

95astrovan
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
mine has same problem but i just hit the switch hard and they work lol it works though

Astro Van Fan
03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
How to fix intermittment dash lights on Astro Van.:banghead:

I have had this problem - "dash lights on & off, or out" - on my GMC Safari (same as an Astro) and on my '93 Astro Van. You'll have to pull the dash apart, which can be a little bit of a challenge. I just use my Haines manual and follow its instructions. There are screws to remove on the lower dash cover, and some on the upper dash cover. When the cover is off, the instrument light cluster comes out by removing several screws. Then the spedometer cable must be removed on some. This was a little tricky on the '87 GMC, but not a problem on the '93 Astro since

The Heater Control Module may also need to be removed. Be careful and geltle, as there are quite a few electrical and pneumatic connections here.

After the instrument light cluster is out, LOOK FOR THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS on the rear side. These are the contacts which supply power to the instrument cluster lights. Clean these contacts with very fine emery paper to remove any oxidation, and then clean with alcohol (rubbing alcohol OK). Then gently bend the contacts outward slightly to increase their tension when the cluster is reinstalled.

NEXT, examine the electrical contacts in the dash itself (where the cluster contacts hit) and remove any oxidation, same as with the cluster's main electrical contacts.

REPLACE any dead bulbs, as there are several bulbs in these clusters. Bulbs can be tested with a VOLT-OHM METER SET ON "OHMS" to determine if bad. The bulb holders rest on a thin flexible electrical circuit. Check the bulb contacts on this electrical circuit, and clean as necessary, but go real easy on the emery paper here - use alcohol mostly to clean. Clean the contacts on each bulb holder which contact the electrical circuit. Then, spring the bulb holder contacts out a little to make them tighter when reinstalled in the instrument cluster.

REINSTALL the cleaned instrument cluster in dash, and it should light up like new!

Note: If the speedometer needle is in the wrong position after your repair, drive down the street before you take the dash apart again. Mine "Fixed" itself on its own, much to my delight, as soon as I drove the van.

The reason the lights go "ON & OFF" is due to poor contact between these flexible power contacts on the rear of the instrument cluster and the main power connections in the car body inside the dash. The springs get weak after years of use bumping around on the roads, and just need a little additional tension to make good contact. Oxidation can also be a factor, and this is a great time to remove it. This explains why hitting the dash (or other impact!) can suddenly cause the lights to come back on without explanation.

This is not a five minute fix, but should not have to be repeated any time soon. Be patient and careful and you will have a long lasting repair!

Hope this information is helpful.

Astro Van Fanhttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

philiwoo
03-15-2008, 05:29 PM
:banghead: Hi
I have just solved this same problem on my 94 astro gladiator
the fuse ( which is a swine to get to under dash as i am fat) was loose in its houseing i fitted a new fuse and bent the spades slightly to make a firm fit and ey presto all's well for past 12 weeks
good luck phil
Does anybody out there has any instructions on how to take the dashboard apart? to troubleshoot the lights.
These lights stop working on my astro about a month ago and I haven't been able to figure it out. Is like a loose connection or something because sometimes they come on by themselves for a while.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

toptech8210.

chevyguy1988
02-24-2012, 09:14 PM
for those of you whose dash lights are out randomly you can fix this by either a)replacing the headlight switch or b)remove the instrument cluster there are contacts on the back of the cluster for some reason the contacts are printed on a plastic sheet the first contact on sheet on mine was burned through and the plastic underneath was melted to FIX this strip or snip the wire to bypass add a lengh of wire and attach wire to the board by unscrewing the bulb attached to the "illum" wire printed on the sheet place wire on contact and screw bulb back in on top of it good as new!!

Add your comment to this topic!