DOHC Spark Plug Change

smilner
09-26-2003, 07:40 PM
I have a 1999 Taurus SE, and was going to change the plugs on this thing, it looks to me like the intake needs to come off to be able to reach the rear bank of plugs, is that the case or can the engine be torqued forward enough to get to them?

lux92886
09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I have an 95 SHO with the huge intake on top of it. It didn't need to come off; I did however have to remove a few pieces around it. Took about an hour.

twilightsable99
10-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Yes, the intake manifold needs to come off. Just the upper though. It is a good idea, however, to soak your intake manifold in degreaser when you change your plugs as part of a tune up, you will pick up some extra power and gas mileage as the intake tracts get pretty carboned up from the PCV.

neilc88
10-02-2003, 11:48 AM
I have a '96 with the DOHC. Does the upper intake need to come off for this year also? How about the torque specs. for re-assembly?

lux92886
10-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Chilton's manual!!

twilightsable99
10-09-2003, 06:26 AM
yes it will need to come off on the 96 also. and a chiltons or haynes manual is a great source of information on how to do it including torque specs.

naturalhoosier
03-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I'm reviving this old VERY old post. I found it doing a search.

I am in the same situation as smilner was in. I purchased the Haynes but it didn't help at all...no one had the Chiltons in my area either.

I'm a Honda guy, I really have no knowledge of Fords. The car: 2001 Taurus SEL 24-valve DOHC, it's my fiancee's.

I really don't want to start ripping apart the intake manifold before I know exactly what it is I'm doing.

I feel stupid, because I never would have thought replacing spark plugs could be such a PITA!!!!

Are there any Ford manuals online anywhere? I know w/Honda some can be found online. Any constructive help would be great. Thanks.

Nick

naturalhoosier
03-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Please, can someone help me out? Once again, any help would be appreciated.

Nick

neilc88
03-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Even though your a Hoosier, I'll give you some advise. Try the Tauras car club of america. Much better responses on this forum.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=11

P.S. GO 'bucks.

naturalhoosier
03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
hehehe Thanks for showing some love. Still in the Big Ten, so you gotta show some love there!!!!

Go Hoosiers!!!! Even though they're watching from home this March!

lisa ann schleig
02-10-2006, 07:29 PM
:screwy:I have a 1999 Taurus SE, and was going to change the plugs on this thing, it looks to me like the intake needs to come off to be able to reach the rear bank of plugs, is that the case or can the engine be torqued forward enough to get to them?

mwt878991
02-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Holy old threads Batman.

Just so I make myself perfectly clear.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE INTAKE OFF ON ANY 96 TO PRESENT TAURUS DURATEC TO CHANGE THE PLUGS.

If you are not much of a wrench and cant work by feel you may have to.
I have done it and You dont have to have girlie hands or thousands of dollars of expensive tools. You just have to be able to work by feel.

Mike
:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!