rotten egg smell

snipez
09-24-2003, 01:29 PM
hi
i have new wires, new plugs, new alternator

would a smell of rotten eggs be coil related?

the car takes a second longer to start when cold

Import_fantasy
09-24-2003, 03:11 PM
this is not a good sign, u could have some serious problems with your engine internals, i would get this checked out by a mechanic ASAP

funkdaflex1
09-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Some clutches smell like rotten eggs when u burn them. So if your riding your clutch that could be it.

snipez
09-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Some clutches smell like rotten eggs when u burn them. So if your riding your clutch that could be it.

its an automatic,

just had a tranny flush

maxspeedhonda
09-24-2003, 06:11 PM
sometimes bad cats will make the exhause smell like that

Ace$nyper
09-26-2003, 01:46 PM
well first i'd try a shower j/k but could be cat conveter do you have an aftermarket one or a strait pipe? might be something in the motor too.

Buzz1167
09-26-2003, 03:24 PM
For something to smell other than its original form there has to be a catalyst, and in most cases its heat. So, lets start analyzing what it could be. Fluids, rotating metal, and the exaust. Since you just had the tranny flushed, Id check that first. Some mechanics can't even put the oil plug back in good after its changed, let alone do anything with something "more complicated" like a tranny. What i'd do is check all the fluid levels and mark them off, to make sure I wasn't burning or loosing anything. BTW: when does it smell? Like does it go away if it sits for a while with the windows down?

What do you mean by the car takes longer to start when its cold? You mean longer than it normally would? Usually unless something that frozen or drained the car should only take a few compression strokes to start (assuming you haven't done alot of work to it). I'd go with ace's suggestion too, check everything thats not stock, first.

I know for a fact that burning clutches (or plates, whatever) stank pretty bad, so if your tranny is about to go, it could be a sign.

HTH
Buzz1167

Ricochet
09-26-2003, 04:23 PM
I had no catalytic converter last summer and with the windows down on a hot day it was pretty rank... check your exhaust.

snipez
09-27-2003, 05:10 PM
What do you mean by the car takes longer to start when its cold?

It just cranks about a second longer when cold. If I have been driving around for awhile, then turn it off, it starts up no problem. And another problem is the engine is super loud when cold. All the power is there, its just a loud whurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My whole tranny and engine is under warranty, how can I fuck it up and make it look like an accident? lol

88_SC_CRX_Si
09-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Usually a Honda that takes a little longer to start, after setting for awhile can be caused by:

1. Leaking injector
2. Fuel pump - there is a check valve in there to maintain pressure after shut down.
3. Fuel pressure regulator - it's failing causing the pressure to bleed off.
4 Plugs & wires - which you have akready re-placed...

As far as the rotton egg smell, most of the time that can be realated to running a little to rich. Might have the fuel pressure checked, this could also be causing the above mentioned...

Just some thoughts...

crxlvr
09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
its your cat convertor bro, it happens all the time. any car also takes longer to start when its cold also, that isnt a problem.

Buzz1167
09-30-2003, 02:56 PM
I would like to recite a passage that I fould while looking for engine overhaul info, I think it will help...

its from the Chilton honda crv manual...

"8. vehicle has a rotten egg odor when driven

a. check for a leaking intake gasket or vacum leak causing a lean running condition. A lean mixture may result in increased exaust temperatures, cauing the catalytic converter to run hotter than normal...

b. Check the vehicles alternator and battery condition. If the alternator is overchanrging, the battery electrolyte can be boiled from the battery, and the battery casing may begin to crack, swell or buldge... if this occurs, neutralize the area with baking soda and water solution and replace."

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

Ricochet
09-30-2003, 03:02 PM
yikes... doesn't sound good

Buzz1167
09-30-2003, 03:46 PM
Ok, I think ive got your problem solved. Intake and exaust, thats about all it could be. The manual said look for intak problems causing a lean condition. I know for a fact when the intake is loose or off, it is loud, I also know that when you run a 2stroke engine lean (i havent run a 4 stroke lean before) that the exuast is REALLY loud (of course im talking lean enough to kill it). So based off of this, I would suggest taking off the intake manifold and replacing the gasket, along with the throttle body, of course thats what I would do, youll probably have to justify it for yourself (becuase I have no idea how much that would be), but I would defintely check all the bolts on the intake against the torque specs in a manual, or make sure one isnt missing or something like that. A loose exaust can also cause a lean condition, but thats usually fixed with the FI system, so that wouldn't be my best guess.

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

88_SC_CRX_Si
10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
A vacuum leak on a Honda will not cause a "lean" condition in a properly running engine. It will just give you a uncontrolable idle, at least on a 4 cylinder. However if you have other things going on, could make a differance. In fact it's really hard to make a Honda run lean when troubleshooting. Usually you will have to dis-connect a injector, before you will really see a change from the output of the O2 sensor. Even then the ECU will just give the other injectors more fuel...

Honda's use a "Speed/Density" system for management, which is very different from the rest of the automotive world. Meaning, anytime the MAP sensor sees more air in the intake from a leak. It will tell the ECU to make the injector pulse width a little longer. To compensate for the added air, causing the idle to speed-up rather then going lean. Thats why you can add a CAI, and not worry about the engine running lean from moving more air. Otherwise, we would have to being playing with the fuel pressure, or injector pulse width with external sources. The MAP/PA sensors are doing it for us automatically in most cases. Here again on a properly maintained engine...

Have you pulled the plugs and checked their color...?

I never have ran across anything about how a v6 is managed tho. Soooo, that may be a little different story. hehehe

Ricochet
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Have you pulled the plugs and checked their color...?
Do this. If the engine is running lean your plugs will have white spots on them from the heat, and your catalytic converter is the reason for the smell. If this is the problem, I'm not too sure how to make it run richer except make sure your fuel injectors are clean... The extreme heat in your combustion chambers will wear the engine faster, so the sooner you get it fixed the better.

88_SC_CRX_Si
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
One more thing... Honda's are set-up to run really lean at idle. Those of you that have A/F ratio gauges can see that anytime when doing so. Here again that depends on the condition of the O2 sensor... hehehe

Since yours is a v6, might check into how the idle is handled...

88_SC_CRX_Si
10-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Might try taking it to someplace that has a scan tool, the CEL/MIL's are more detailed now, then the eariler version OBD. Sooo that should be able to tell you which sensor(s) are acting up. By either sending to much voltage or not enough to the ECU.

With todays systems it's practically impossible to guess what is wrong without the proper tools to troubleshoot. Like mentioned above about the scan tool, along with a voltmeter, oscilloscope. Without those it's just to hard/$$$$$ to try and and figure out. When something is on the "verge" of failure. Otherwise it just turns into a waiting game, until it finally fails all the way and sends the needed MIL.

Rob826947
11-02-2003, 01:41 PM
People in here are all telling you the wrong thing. Your problem is your battery that is emitting sulferic acid from its vents that is why you smell the rotten egg smell that is what sulferic acid smells like, the reason your car is harder to start is because its not fully charged and you probably need a new battery and the fact that you did a tune up on your car has nothing to do with it most likely all it is coincidence. so test your battery and you will see it is probably not up to specs but also make sure that you have not crossed any wiring like from the alternator or anything else that could be causing the battery to heat up.

Thanks!

Rob826947
11-02-2003, 01:43 PM
hi
i have new wires, new plugs, new alternator

would a smell of rotten eggs be coil related?

the car takes a second longer to start when cold

check your battery what you smell is sulferic acid emmiting from the battery and make sure you have not crossed any wires that might be causing the batt to overheat. as for the starting problem replace the battery

Add your comment to this topic!