Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85 jetta dying

duncanjetta
09-21-2003, 10:26 PM
I've got an 85 jetta 1.8 that starts and idles fine, when I give it gas it dies then goes again repeatedly. checked the transfer pump, replaced plugs and plug wires, but still the same thing. any ideas?

GTQVR6
09-22-2003, 01:18 AM
If my memory is good enough. You have a K-Jetronic injection sistem.
You may have a leak of pressure in the main unit that is located over the air filter element box. This thing is very difficult to repair. You may check the pressures in this fuel line but I don't know exactly the values.

akina_speedstars
10-01-2003, 11:40 PM
I've got an 85 jetta 1.8 that starts and idles fine, when I give it gas it dies then goes again repeatedly. checked the transfer pump, replaced plugs and plug wires, but still the same thing. any ideas?

Your problem had nothing to do with your plugs or plug wires because your car was able to start and idle. I had a similar problem with a different car. I don't remember what the fix was though. You are going to need to bring the car to a mechanic.

termitesgraffix
10-02-2003, 08:27 AM
might have just enough fuel passing by to idle, but not enough to flow with the timing advance???

asskickingdominato
11-12-2003, 03:00 AM
You are still not giving details. I once had that problem described but in low speeds only and would cancel if full throttle is given. Thus, the rubber coming from the airflow sensor to the manifold is leaking. It will leak most when torque is applied in lowest gears. The engine twist slightly but the sensor is mounted to the sidewall. I used Goop to repair mine.

Add your comment to this topic!