Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LCD screen in my stereo doesn't light up now

pyrokinetic
09-21-2003, 04:55 PM
I don't know why, but about a week ago the LCD screen just died. its the AM/FM tape player that came in my 97 Grand Am. I think its just the backlight... I can still read it if I look from just the right angle with the right light shining on it. Anyone have any ideas why it might of died and better yet, what I can do to fix it?

jrocking
09-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Same car same problem. if you get an answer email me with the fix please.
Thanks

Ares78
09-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Hey guys, my 96 grand am had the AC Delco casetter player? is that the same one?? I actually went through two of them that had the same exact problem on both of them. I think its a fuse inside that blows on them, i guess they get too hot or something....after the 2nd one went on me, i went out and just got an aftermarket cd player to put in it. It wasn't really worth the hassle to go through replacing it for a third time.

mike_drz
10-01-2003, 08:49 PM
I have the same car same problem, to the point where I said to hell with this and bought a new radio. haha, however if u have the time and patients to fix it I'll tell you how. I'm in electronics so this may have been eassier for me, However there is a small bulb not quite an LED that is responsible for lighting up the deck face, it always comes loose due to a crappy solder job by the manufacturer, if u have the solder skills and are willing to open up your radio it can be fixed, but mine came loose 3 times and i had just about enough of it. hope it helps, we should all get together and give these guys hell for producing such faulty products.

genusguy
10-15-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm working on my 97 GA Delco radio and have it apart on the kitchen table! There is a lightbulb behind the display. Mine is in a little plastic carrier that half-turns into the circuit board. This should be a pretty easy fix for you. There are 4 screws holding on the console trim, 2 in the opening below the radio and 2 above the speed and tach. Put your auto transmission into 1 to get the shift lever out of the way, move your tilt steering all the way down, and gently pull on the trim, it has metal clips holding it in. The radio is held in with 3 torx screws but I think you can remove the faceplate without actually removing the radio. if you can slide a knife in behind the plastic retainers, you can pry the faceplace forward. there are 2 retainers on each side. This will give you access to the circuit board and voila! the lightbulb.

ldanley
12-05-2003, 02:13 PM
My radio has a digital face. last week the face just went out. It plays ,but I can not change the station, cut it down, cut it off or work any of the buttons on the face. I have no clue whats wrong. The only way i can cut it off is by the radio/ign fuse.

PS:May be different problem but same results.

Add your comment to this topic!