Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil in Spark Plugs

pe_tx
09-19-2003, 11:20 AM
I have 1991 Accord with 193k miles, runs prefect but I when I checked the spark plugs today #2,3 & 4 were flooded with oil, also the PCV valve also was dripping in engine oil. I would imagine that with so much oil the spark plugs will have problem producing spark but the engine is running as smooth as always.

Any ideas? Thanks

Ray

markp
09-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Looking at the maintenance records, this happened on the 1990 Accord I just bought. It says they removed the cam towers and replaced the well seals. Couple gaskets and 0 rings cost about $40 for parts.
Hope that helps

93hybridaccord
09-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Looking at the maintenance records, this happened on the 1990 Accord I just bought. It says they removed the cam towers and replaced the well seals. Couple gaskets and 0 rings cost about $40 for parts.
Hope that helps

He is most likely correct. I had this happen on my accord also, but was only the #1 grommet that did it.

AccordSleeper504
09-19-2003, 09:44 PM
If that doesn't work, check the bolts holding down the cam covers to see if they need more tightening. Same problem on my bro's accord. Everything should work out.

92lx
09-20-2003, 02:59 AM
New seals you'll be okay :)

- Nathan

pe_tx
09-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the all the Input. My valve cover gasket is also leaking slightly. So, I will replace the gasket and the spark plug seals.

Do you guys use some kind of sealant with a new gasket or just througly clean the valve cover to remove old gasket?

What's the best way to turn the engine to adjust for the valve clearance? Can I use a long screw driver in each spark plug hole to get the piston at TDC?

What I dont understand is how is spark being produced with so much oil in the plug?

Thanks again for all the help.

Ray

accordztech
09-25-2003, 03:43 PM
clean it off good..use gasoline on a rag if u have to....replace the screws that hold the valve cover down as well..

dotn use any sealant..seals go bad over time...making oil leak whereever it wants to go...

speedsters9
09-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Chilton manual explains procedure for adjusting the valve lash,
you're to do the adjustments on a cold engine.

Take off the timing belt cover and use the markings on the Cam gear to align TDC... you can turn the motor over by either getting a socket onto the crank as recommended or get a wrench on the bolt/nut which secures the pulley for the power steering pump (I believe it's the ps pump), turning that pulley will cause the belt to turn and will make your engine turn over. Btw make sure you have a long handled wrench, I believe #10 so you can remove the cover for the timing belt.

I invested in a good (snap-on) torque wrench and adjusted my valves a couple of months ago... will be adjusting them again in a couple of weeks...

Good luck

Thanks for the all the Input. My valve cover gasket is also leaking slightly. So, I will replace the gasket and the spark plug seals.

Do you guys use some kind of sealant with a new gasket or just througly clean the valve cover to remove old gasket?

What's the best way to turn the engine to adjust for the valve clearance? Can I use a long screw driver in each spark plug hole to get the piston at TDC?

What I dont understand is how is spark being produced with so much oil in the plug?

Thanks again for all the help.

Ray

Add your comment to this topic!