Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Potential S-10 owner...

Drgnslyer
09-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Well, i've been trying to get my beat up 85 honda civic to last me out a little longer, but unfortunately it's on it's last leg...so inevitably it's time for something a little newer.

I took a real close look at a decent blue S-10 that is in pretty good shape as far as i can tell at first glance, the engine doesn't seem to be leaking anything out anywhere, and it runs alright on the highway, though with the 4 cyl. engine you can really only get so much as far as acceleration is concerned. It's a 5 speed, and has roughly 110k km on it.

I'm just asking if anyone has information that I should be aware of, as far as common problems with the 91 models, the 4 cyl. engine, etcetera. I'll be doing a large amount of highway driving over the coquihalla highway between Kelowna and Vancouver BC. (I live up in canada) Also, in late May I'll be going on a roadtrip way up north, about a 12 hour drive all in all if you go at a decent pace to Terrace, just short of Prince Rupert on the north coast of BC.

I'm mainly concerned with how it's durability will hold up on the highway, most likely a couple times a month for 4+ hours a trip each way through steep mountian highways. I understand that i'll be able to climb the mountians only so fast with the little engine, but again, really just how well ittl hold up to the relatively heavy driving.

Any info you guys and gals can get me is most appreciated!

Thanks!

dugie6551
06-04-2004, 08:51 AM
You will have to keep an eye and maintain the transmission (auto or standard). If it is an auto, try an aftermarket transmission cooler, they are better than stock. Also you may want to add an electric fan with a switch for more cooling.

Add your comment to this topic!