Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Are Used '97-'99 SL500's Reliable?

felixxilef
09-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Been looking at some used sl500's for around $38,000 and I'm wondering if these things are pretty trouble free, or am I gonna have it in the shop every month? And what's the story with the cheapo cloudy plastic windows?

TheScientist
09-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Check your local dealers, they might have the Certified-PreOwned ones where you don't havy to worry about anything else but your bargaining skills.

mcollinstn
11-01-2003, 08:43 AM
99 has all new motor, trans, seats. Also has sporty suspension calibration whereas the 94 thru 98 got mushy suspension.

Cloudy windows can be replaced effectively by any GOOD marine canvas man (there are bad ones out there too). Benz only sells the soft top in "halves" and it is very costly but the windows can be replaced by a canvas man ( I did it on a '95 and a '99). "201" Brand plastic window cleaner is the best at preventing cloudy windows, but once they are cloudy it is hard to get them clear (can be done with meguiars 2 step plastic cleaner). BEST thing to do is avoid automatic carwashes cause the "sheeting agent" spray that causes water to bead is the main reason for the clouding of those windows.

Like all benzes, if they are out of warranty it is helpful if you are mechanically apt. They are all easy cars to work on and are engineered well. Parts can be very expensive OR impressively cheap depending on what it is... Hydraulic locking cylinders in the wndshield header are prone to develop leaks and are expensive ($250 each x 2).

felixxilef
11-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks. As odd as it sounds, I've also heard that Pledge furniture polish sprayed on the plastic windows helps to clear them up.

Add your comment to this topic!