Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gauge Wiring problems

sideshowrich
09-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Okay, I've got an Autometer tach and A/F guage in my car, and I think things are a bit waywire.

First off, the tach is reading double (I think) what the actual RPMs are. It is kinda cool to see the tach needle redline way past 10K (shift light is useless), but I want to fix this. I connected the 12v, ground, and dash lighting wires correctly, but I've tried three different spots for the green signal wire that I found on the forum and other sources, and they all give the same result. First I had it wired to the blue w/ silver dots wire in the instrument cluster wiring, but it was reading wrong. Then I tried the blue wire that terminates at the top of the drivers shock tower, but that too didn't work. So I tried to wire it to the green/yellow wire coming from the distributor, but this reads wrong as well. Does anyone know why this is doing this, or has anyone had the same problem?

Second, the A/F gauge. It took me a few tries to find the right wire, but I wired the signal wire to the big white wire coming from the ECU, and it worked for about a day, but now, nothing. I think it might be the gauge, but hopefully it isn't. If anyone could help me out with any of this, that would rule. Thanks!!!

dirty91crx
09-15-2003, 12:44 AM
did you remmember to clip the little looped wires on the back of the tach? clip them both for a 4cyl. as for the a/f guage i dunno maybe a wire got looose.

esp
09-15-2003, 08:44 AM
damn i wish my civic would redline at 14k. that would be a site to see.

something is definatly messed up in the wireing for both gauges

sideshowrich
09-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I clipped the two wires in back before I wired everything up. I've just gotten used to looking at the thing and halving what the tach says. But I would like to fix it so I could get an accurate reading, I just hope I don't have to send it to Autometer.

14k is quite nice to see. People have asked me about it, I just tell the stupid ones I swapped in a Mugen F1 engine, which usually gets an "OHHH, WOW, cool!!!"

Add your comment to this topic!