Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spyder ??

DemoX
09-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Does any one know something about this car ??

it's one of the most prettiest ferrari ever made !!!

so i would like some information on this car !!

L_Wayne
09-14-2003, 08:03 PM
DemoX,

Ex-racer John von Neumann, who owned Ferrari Representatives of Hollywood at the time, suggested to Ferrari Importer Luigi Chinetti that there was a market for a convertible version of the 250 GT Tour de France. Chinetti agreed and convinced Enzo Ferrari to build just such a car, named the "250 GT California" in honor of its intended customer base.

A total of 42 steel-bodied and 9 alloy-bodied cars were built on the TdF's 2600mm wheelbase chassis between 1957 and 1960. In 1960, the car changed along with its coupe brethren to a 2400mm wheelbase. From 1960 to 1963, 54 examples were built on the shorter chassis, 3 of which were bodied in alloy.

The earliest cars utilized the single overhead camshaft Tipo 128 C engine, of the TdF, a 60 V12 powerplant that displaced 2953cc thanks to a bore and stroke of 73mm x 58.8mm. Maximum power of this unit was reportedly 240bhp. The engine was of the wet sump type, ran a 9.2:1 compression ratio and was fitted with three Weber 36 DCL 3 carburettors. Shortly into the production run (9 cars), cars were equipped with the updated 128 D engine, having strengthened crank and connecting rods.

Later short wheelbase cars used the tipo 168 engine with its higher compression ratio of 9.3:1 and the last few examples were equipped with a modified version of this engine known as the tipo 168/61.

Long wheelbase cars currently change hands in the $900K to $1.5 million, alloy cars being worth a premium, of course. The more desirable SWB models usually bring somewhere around $1.5 million to $2 million. Of course there are exceptions. Last month, a SWB California failed to land a bid above $1.3 million at the RM Sports Car Auction in Monterey, CA but changed hands a couple of weeks later for just under $1.4 million.

I hope I've answered all of the questions you had about these beauties!

--Wayne

DemoX
09-15-2003, 03:21 PM
yeah thanks for that mate !!! :grinyes:

that was great !!!

Add your comment to this topic!