Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stupid tape.

EMAXX
09-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Ok, I painted my Chevelle black about 1 month ago now. I had sometime last night, so I desided to do some work on it. I masked off the areas for the window trim, I take the Tamiya tape off and it ripped off a ton of paint. :banghead: So stupid. Now I have to strip it and repaint it. :banghead:

freakray
09-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Ok, I painted my Chevelle black about 1 month ago now. I had sometime last night, so I desided to do some work on it. I masked off the areas for the window trim, I take the Tamiya tape off and it ripped off a ton of paint. :banghead: So stupid. Now I have to strip it and repaint it. :banghead:

Unfortunate.

2 questions though;
Did you prime the body before painting?
Did you wash the body thoroughly before painting and handle it as little as possible(oil from your hands can prevent paint adhering).

EMAXX
09-13-2003, 03:13 PM
Yep, I primed it. I got it for $3. The stuff I've always used.

Yeah, I washed it. I also put these gloves on whenever I do anything with a model that isn't done, so it can't be the oil from my hands.

Lambo003
09-13-2003, 04:28 PM
:2cents:
Did you lightly sand all areas to be primed and painted? Painting over a perfectly smooth surface affects the paint from adhering too . . . The entire model should be completely sanded to promote adheasion of top coats . . .

EMAXX
09-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Yep, I sanded it too. I don't know what happened. I got it stripped and repainted now though. I'm just going to leave that one aside and work on my truck.

AE86er
09-14-2003, 10:04 AM
huh...that's strange. i painted the window trim on my renault alpine using my airbrush, which meant i had to mask the whole car. i used 40mm tamiya tape, and no harm was done.

the 40mm tape is quite soft - different than the thin stuff. although, i've not had problems with either.

how long had the paint dried? a day or two won't cut it for tamiya lacquers. i'd wait weeks or a month before masking to be 100% sure.

EMAXX
09-14-2003, 10:28 AM
I let it dry for a least a month. Probably more.

birdchua
09-14-2003, 10:47 AM
how long did u left the tape on? i left it on overnight and it did the same to my paint job. But if take it off after half and hour after paint it is fine.

EMAXX
09-14-2003, 10:54 AM
I put it on, painted, then pulled it off about 5 min after I painted.

AE86er
09-14-2003, 01:03 PM
well, eugene, just chalk it up to experience - there's nothing else you could have done to prevent it! it's a good product, try it again!

yellow15
09-14-2003, 05:06 PM
hi there, i have the same problem when i was building my Aoshima C-West FD3S.. the masking tape peel off paint!!! I didn't have this problem before and after and I was pretty sure i did everything right (and following exactly the same steps, using the same tamiya masking tape, paint,primer...etc) And another funny thing is i've stripped the paint and repainted it 4 times and got the exact problem every single time!!! as you can imagine, after each "stripping" i took extra care on every single step and rethink if i did something wrong in between but it didn't solve my problem at all!!! The solution? the FD3S is now sitting in my parts recycle box.. :sly:

I still don't know why it happened :confused:

EMAXX
09-15-2003, 07:55 AM
I got it to work this time. I don't know what went wrong. I just let it sit for 2 days, then I did it and no problems. I'll post some pics when I have some time after school.

Add your comment to this topic!