Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First model blues...

HPIracer
09-10-2003, 09:50 PM
I was following the FAQ for painting and when i wet sanded the body some of it went down to the primer. Guess i did the coats too thin? So what do i do now? How do i get myself out of this little misshap?
I went from this..
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/paff5ca47cd20da2fd819de19ec68c3df/fb1fd763.jpg
To this... :crying:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pcfa8014f9d661246b52574591e49c92a/fb1fd430.jpg

z33guy
09-10-2003, 09:55 PM
soak it in castrol super clean and start over. It happens to everyone once or twice.

hirofkd
09-11-2003, 02:20 AM
I agree.
Even if you keep adding blue, it probably won't hide the primer, so just start over.
When I sand the body color or clear coat, I spray at least six to eight times.

Ibaneezer
09-11-2003, 02:48 AM
dont worry about it, it's not really that big a deal. Soak the body in CSC (perferably) or brake fluid and start over. If I know I messed up a paint job w/ orange peel or what not then I give it at least one more coat to make sure I have enough to polish or sand through without getting all the way down to the primer if I think i can salvage the paint job. But still, it looks like you did a great job with the first coat of color, nice and even. What paint are you using BTW?

HPIracer
09-11-2003, 03:10 AM
Its tamiya mica blue. I probably shouldnt have messed with it. :( Oh well...learning experance :)

egon_dude
09-11-2003, 03:57 AM
same thing happened to me on my porsche 956 with tamiya paint- make sure you leave it at least 10 days before you even think about sanding or polishing it, as tamiya paint seems to be really soft- a lot softer than auto paint.
Or you could clear coat it before you try sanding it, then you know that when you start getting colour rubbing off on the sandpaper or polishing cloth its time to stop. Duplicolour clear works well, its auto laquer so hardens up a lot.

hirofkd
09-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Its tamiya mica blue. I probably shouldnt have messed with it. :( Oh well...learning experance :)
You'd better not sand metallic, mica or pearl colors, because they are translucent, which means the thickness affects the color. Manufacturers (tamiya, gunze) suggest using clear top coat. Apply white primer evenly, apply mica blue a few times, spray clear coat, then sand with 2000 grit or finer.

Murray Kish
09-11-2003, 05:17 PM
You'd better not sand metallic, mica or pearl colors, because they are translucent, which means the thickness affects the color. Manufacturers (tamiya, gunze) suggest using clear top coat. Apply white primer evenly, apply mica blue a few times, spray clear coat, then sand with 2000 grit or finer.

Yep, I agree. Strip it and repaint without doing any sanding in between coats. The paint you are using is an 'exception' to the method you saw in the FAQ. Best to just build up several layers and then put a clear-coat over top.

Murray

bah humbug
09-11-2003, 05:24 PM

You've got to fool around with stuff.
You learn a lot. Just yesterday I worked with Plastikote enamel pink and sprayed on my Garage MAK S15. It was so good I was so proud, it was shiny and I hardly even needed to sand it. Tried to polish it and I JUST FOUND OUT IT WON'T POLISH. I became imediately dull. SO I DECIDED TO CLEAR IT WITH DUPLICOLOR CLEAR, my paint was attacked and clear wouldn't cover the paint it left "holes" it wouldn't cover it, I don't know how to explain it.

You live and learn, Now it's in CSC waiting to get painted gloss black.
Now I'm on the second paint job. :sly:

Add your comment to this topic!