Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help on Tamiya Chrome Yellow paint required

Bryan_831
09-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Is the chrome yellow paint made by Tamiya metallic? And do i need to give it a coat of clear b4 i polish it? :confused:

doraemon
09-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Tamiya chrome yellow isnt mettalic or pearl, is a flat one so you dont need to clear coat it if you dont want to

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Chrome yellow isn't "flat", it's a solid color with no pearl or metallic. It does not need to be clearcoated, the paint itself dries to a very nice shine even before polishing. However, as with most yellows, the pigment is rather weak, you must paint it over a white surface or white primer for the brightest/cleanest appearance, and when you polish it you run the risk of thin spots in the paint showing through. I painted one car this color, I love the color and the look; but I would personally clearcoat this color next time simply because I'd be polishing only the clearcoat and not having a chance to damage the color coat. In the right light I can see a few spots getting thin.

360spider
09-10-2003, 10:30 AM
I've used this paint on several kits, and its great. The best undercoating however, is Tamiya's Camel Yellow! Spray white primer, then coat of Camel yellow, then a coat of Chrome Yellow, the paint will look spectacular!
Reference: http://italianhorses.net/GunGTO2/gto2.htm

Alex

cyclone1410
09-11-2003, 01:18 AM
I am currently using Tamiya Chrome Yellow on an R34. On my second attempt I found that it was best clear coated and then waxed. Comes up great.

doraemon
09-11-2003, 03:18 AM
with flat.... I tried to mean plain, dont know how to said it in english, its a glossy one you one with no need of clear coat, just... didnt know the correct word :p

Add your comment to this topic!