Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

JBL Subwoofer Watt !Help!

HotBoys09
09-09-2003, 12:22 AM
I was given two JBL 12-inch subwoofers and i was wondering what watt they would be, what watt amp would be good (and brand/type), and also if you put a larger watt amp to smaller watt subs, would it blow the subs, or would it distinguish the power itself? Thanks for your help.

sr20de4evr
09-09-2003, 05:30 PM
well we need some more info on those subs, just telling us the brand and size doesn't say much. JBL has several different models with different power handling capabilities

As a safe bet I would say to put 2-300rms into each sub, chances are it's more than they recommended but as long as you don't run them as loud as they can possibly go it would be fine. Underpowering kills speakers far more often than overpowering due to distortion and clipping.

Haibane
09-09-2003, 09:45 PM
well we need some more info on those subs, just telling us the brand and size doesn't say much. JBL has several different models with different power handling capabilities

As a safe bet I would say to put 2-300rms into each sub, chances are it's more than they recommended but as long as you don't run them as loud as they can possibly go it would be fine. Underpowering kills speakers far more often than overpowering due to distortion and clipping.
300 watts sounds fine... I agree with your theory about underpowering, but if you look out for those factors like clipping and distortion, it is perfectly fine to use your amplifier that underpowers it. Just know your limits.

HotBoys09
09-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Well I asked that dude, and he said their JBL Platinums, he said there suposed to be pretty good, yeah i guess a 600 watt would be good, but any suggestions...I heard Rockford Fosgate were good, how about any of your imputs...thanks...

Haibane
09-10-2003, 05:40 AM
Well I asked that dude, and he said their JBL Platinums, he said there suposed to be pretty good, yeah i guess a 600 watt would be good, but any suggestions...I heard Rockford Fosgate were good, how about any of your imputs...thanks...
I like JBL and their amps too. there is no such thing as a platinum series for JBL.

Add your comment to this topic!