Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

440 swap Question on 84 gran fury Police car

84GranFuryPOLICE
09-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I am in the process of building a 440 maybe for my 84 Gran Fury Police car. I was wondering a few things about this swap. Will a BB dodge dart K frame work? Will BB dart headers work? and I was wondering if anyone has ever done such a swap like I'm planning. I'm wondering if I should even do this.. I have my 84 Gran fury police package with 50 thousand origninal miles (it was an unmarked detectivs car used rarely) & a 318 4bbl in her that runs like a clock with no ticks, smoke, or any strange noises. With the exception of a little body work & paint from the car being in a fender bender many years ago it's in perfect shape. Actually I have it in the garage right now & she's gettin a nice new jet black finish. So I'm not too sure I wanna rip it apart and put the 440 in it.. But it would make a neat sleeper. So please any info on the swap would be great & any info on built gran furys would be cool too.. And tell me.. should I do this or not???? c'mon.. lets get some conversation goin in this forum!!

!JOE!

69val6
12-30-2003, 09:57 PM
You can make it fit, but yo will need custom headers and engine mounts. The trans will be no problem. The K-frame is not interchangeable with a Dart. The chassis is the same as the Aspen/Volare.

JohnClark318
07-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Not too sure about the K-Member, but here is some other info...Motor mounts will have to be changed, but I don't know if an engine plate will work. Headers will be a real dog to work, you're looking at custom headers. To save $$$, buy a custom kit that has all the bent pipes, and you fit 'em specific to your ride. Then you weld all the sections together. The 440 is one helluvan engine, even in "smog" trim, but you will lose all hope of passing this car as a sleeper once you start 'er up. The A-904 won't live long behind that B-Engine, so you'll need a 727. Lastly, with the added weight up front (B Mopars aren't as bad as Chevy Rats, but still heavy), the already iffy handling will get worse with the 440. Otherwise good luck!

I am in the process of building a 440 maybe for my 84 Gran Fury Police car. I was wondering a few things about this swap. Will a BB dodge dart K frame work? Will BB dart headers work? and I was wondering if anyone has ever done such a swap like I'm planning. I'm wondering if I should even do this.. I have my 84 Gran fury police package with 50 thousand origninal miles (it was an unmarked detectivs car used rarely) & a 318 4bbl in her that runs like a clock with no ticks, smoke, or any strange noises. With the exception of a little body work & paint from the car being in a fender bender many years ago it's in perfect shape. Actually I have it in the garage right now & she's gettin a nice new jet black finish. So I'm not too sure I wanna rip it apart and put the 440 in it.. But it would make a neat sleeper. So please any info on the swap would be great & any info on built gran furys would be cool too.. And tell me.. should I do this or not???? c'mon.. lets get some conversation goin in this forum!!

!JOE!

Add your comment to this topic!