Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Agggghhhhhh!!!!

sugarcaddy
09-08-2003, 01:51 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Stupid Revell Civic Hood!!! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I have screwed up two of these now! One I screwed up so bad that I had to get a replacement hood. And now I just screwed up this new one! What is the problem Im having??
I primered it and then painted it the same way I do with all my subjects, then I masked it with some flame masked made out of plastic masking tape. And then airbrushed my top coat, and removed the masks only to pull off the undercoats all the way to the primer and in some spots down to the plastic. This happened on the other hood too. Whats weird is the fact I used the same technic's on the sides of my Civic with absoluty no problems. So why the hood??? :screwy:

Scott

willimo
09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Maybe the hood is smoother plastic? Maybe it has a different mold release compound since it's made on a different line? This may sound stupid, and you may have already done it (in which case, nevermind) but did you wash the parts and/or rough them up with some fine sandpaper, to give the primer some extra surface to adehere to?

egon_dude
09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
I agree with willimo . . .

exact same thing happened to me on my porsche 956- the rear cowl came out perfect first time after i took the masks off, but the masking tape pulled all the paint off the front cowl even though i did them the same, washed them and everything. So i know how annoying it is. Is your primer running out? i think that was what my problem was. The can of primer i was using was on its way out, and i did notice the paint wasnt as dense near the end of the can, maybe it wasnt sticking properly due to too much thinners left in the can? not 100% sure, but i know that a new can of halfords white acrylic primer (safe with laquers) solved the problem, and all the paint stayed on when i sprayed it again.

Also, how long did you leave the bottom layer of paint to cure? make sure you leave it a good week or so to harden off.

hirofkd
09-08-2003, 05:33 PM
The reason why the side went well was probably because you were lucky.
You might want to sand the primer with 2000 grit paper to create teeth, so that body paint grabs it well. Also, masking tape might be adhering too strong. If so, place it on your skin first to weaken the adhesion, before applying the masking tape.

Add your comment to this topic!