Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo Vs. Super

Pages : 1 [2]

Auto_newb
02-20-2004, 06:34 PM
here where i live we got a goodie called a waste gate.... sure the turbo has a wastegate on it to control boost.... otherwise it would go mad... the graph is a parabola....therefore at some point it goes vertical compressing air.... the wastegate im talking about releases stored compressed air into the manifold which pushes the revs back up... go look at HKS racing and check out their products...

It's not called a wastegate, its called a "Blow off valve"...

Holyterror
02-20-2004, 07:29 PM
I think he was referring to a bypass valve. A blow-off valve vents into the atmosphere (hence the distinguishing "pfft"), whereas a bypass valve directs air through the exhaust.

Auto_newb
02-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Oh, I read somewhere that the blow off valve cut the air off to the engine when you release the throttle therefore reducing lag. Or something like that.

SaabJohan
02-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Oh, I read somewhere that the blow off valve cut the air off to the engine when you release the throttle therefore reducing lag. Or something like that.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=187376

A blow off valve of the same thing as a bypass valve except that the bypass valve recirculate the air within the system.

However, valves which cuts off the flow to the turbocompressor have also been used.

pind
03-28-2004, 02:11 PM
and for the feeling of less turbo lag. A shot of nitrous or even compressed air, ducted into the compressor wheel housing at the proper angle, and used with some common sense, spools the turbo up more quickly, allowing it to produce better flow at lower engine RPM and waking the engine up a little.
But then, I'm also a diesel freak in my profession, and spare time, these are the things we do.

xXRyCe_R0CkEtXx
04-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Turbo is better...an if u wanna go ahead an complain about turbo lag....well if ur rich enuf theres always ALS....

JForce1
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Superchargers power the most powerful and fastest drag cars on the planet...

beef_bourito
10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
that's because turbos are either restricted with weight or they are not allowed. this thread has not been posted in for over a year, don't post in really old threads. welcome to the forum though.

Polygon
10-20-2005, 01:55 PM
that's because turbos are either restricted with weight or they are not allowed. this thread has not been posted in for over a year, don't post in really old threads. welcome to the forum though.

Bingo, on both accounts.

Add your comment to this topic!