Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Tacoma Trouble Starting When Warm

goliath11
09-05-2003, 01:17 PM
I have a Toyota Tacoma Extra cab with a 4 cylinder engine with approx 82,000 miles. After I drive the truck and the engine is at full operating temp and I turn off the engine, when I goto start it up, the starter is going, but it takes multiple tries to get the engine to start. When the engine is cold it starts right up. Other than this problem the engine runs like a champ.

I have had the alternator tested, changed the battery and also changed the starter.

Any ideas?

farbod
09-05-2003, 01:23 PM
you can always ask your insurance company

goliath11
09-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Ask my insurance company? They aren't mechanics. Why would I ask them :)

farbod
09-06-2003, 10:52 AM
they wont be able to fix it but they will proberly tell you who can fix it

goliath11
09-08-2003, 08:55 AM
Well I wanted to know if any of you are having the same problem, and if you've fixed it. I read on other places people having the exact same problem. I emailed them, but got no response. This might be a somewhat common problem for 95 Tacoma's with a 4 cylinder.

farbod
09-08-2003, 11:07 AM
i dont know its very likely

goliath11
09-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Thank you for your replies farbod. :)

Does anyone else have any ideas?

farbod
09-09-2003, 10:10 AM
sory lot ver much help am i

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

'03DC3.4TRD4X4
09-14-2003, 10:55 AM
If you replaced major components than I'm sure you checked the simple stuff like spark plugs and cap and rotor. Your plug wires might also be original but I doubt that would cause the problem. How about injector cleaner or switching fuel sources. What altitude are you at?

farbod
09-15-2003, 10:31 AM
i dont know:banghead:

goliath11
09-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Well, I am not exactly experienced with trouble-shooting vehicles, but my friend is a mechanic and said he would ask around. It only does this when it get's hot. The starter motor cranks up and keeps trying to start the engine, but it doesn't want to start. Holding down the key does not usually work, but if I stop and turn it off, then try and start it again, it will slowly sputter and start up. Maybe a fuel flow problem? A sensor? I live in Las Vegas, NV.. not sure of the altitude :)

If you replaced major components than I'm sure you checked the simple stuff like spark plugs and cap and rotor. Your plug wires might also be original but I doubt that would cause the problem. How about injector cleaner or switching fuel sources. What altitude are you at?

'03DC3.4TRD4X4
09-18-2003, 01:11 PM
I had the exact same symptoms in my '95 4Runner. It was an intermittent problem that got worse if it was warmed up. The dealer could not locate the problem but I asked around and was told that it could be the EFI relay. For about $20, I replaced it myself (took all of about 15 seconds) and that was more than 100,000 miles ago. just a thought.

farbod
09-18-2003, 01:38 PM
wait a second
one of my old friends had a 95 tacoma i'll contact him and see if he had eny problems

goliath11
09-18-2003, 02:23 PM
EFI relay, huh? Hmm.. did that magically fix it for your truck?

Some of the guys at work were brainstorming and they said the problem sounds EFI/fuel related. Some possibilities they said were fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or perhaps something electrical (when it gets too hot, doesnt work right.. like the computer. or maybe your relay?)

The temperature here in Las Vegas is starting to drop. Today was a high of 92, instead of 100+ :smile: No need to run the A/C, and I've already noticed it's not having hardly any problems starting now. I have to make a long highway trip later on today, so I'll let you know how that goes.

farbod
09-18-2003, 02:32 PM
i still havent managed to phone him it keeps going on answering machine

'03DC3.4TRD4X4
09-19-2003, 08:13 AM
The EFI relay is essentially just a fuse, it is located underhood and easily accessed. If you can get a good price on one (around 25$) I would give it a try. It is a cheap (relatively) way to eliminate at least one possibility since your problem is either fuel or spark related-- both controlled by this relay.

farbod
09-19-2003, 11:48 AM
realy are you sure

goliath11
10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
I still have not figured out what the problem is. I could take it to a shop but they typically charge around $60 an hour for just the diagnostics. :(

95TacoTruck
01-17-2004, 09:50 PM
I have a 95 4wd Extra cab, I have the same problem on occasion. When I start the truck cold I can just turn the key and it starts right up with no throttle. When it has been warm and I go to start it I have to rev it a few times then it will idle. No one had any answers for me either other than try changing the fuel filter. I haven't done it yet but I am going to give it a shot for the heck of it. One thing I can tell you is that I had my temp guage disconnected for about a month and it never happened once. Recently I put a new sender on it and re-connected the guage and it is doing it again. I am going to get an Auto Meter Temp guage and disconnect the stock one.

mattmaxon
03-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Any results for this problem? My 95 does the same thing

ToyotaTech
03-17-2004, 03:42 AM
Your fuel pump is getting weak! check fuel pressure when hot and see what it is It should be around 40psi if low like 15 then the pump is going bad! The pump gets hot and then doesn't want to pump.

mattmaxon
03-17-2004, 07:55 AM
What do I need to check the pump pressure, can I check it with ODB-II?

Where is the fuel pump located?

Is it in tank? or is there a in tankpre-pump then an external high pressure pump.

mattmaxon
03-17-2004, 08:14 AM
I went to the dealer yesterday (3-16-04) and they quoted $75 & change for a 85910-35030 EFI relay. YIKES =:-@

The EFI relay is essentially just a fuse, it is located underhood and easily accessed. If you can get a good price on one (around 25$) I would give it a try. It is a cheap (relatively) way to eliminate at least one possibility since your problem is either fuel or spark related-- both controlled by this relay.

'03DC3.4TRD4X4
03-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I say replace the pump yourself per the TOYOTATECH. He would know. This will be cheaper in the end if your techs can't duplicate. Even if the pump ends up not to be the problem, at least you know that you will never have to mess with it again. I know this strategy sounds strange but if you keep your Toyotas as long as I do, this strategy serves one extremely well. This is the reason why when one electric bulb goes out, I replace them all at once. This may have something to do with my obsessive compulsive personality though too. Hmmmmm.

mattmaxon
03-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Could leaky fuel injectors cause this drop in fuel pressure?

My vehicle has 116,000+ miles on it.

mattmaxon
03-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Your fuel pump is getting weak! check fuel pressure when hot and see what it is It should be around 40psi if low like 15 then the pump is going bad! The pump gets hot and then doesn't want to pump.

Replace the fuel pump with NEW Toyota unit ($365 & change), still does it.

see: http://pctmap.homedns.org/tacomia for AVI video of starting
trouble

When it's cranking I get an diesel like odor outside the vehicle.

Matt

badboy916
03-28-2004, 11:28 PM
def sounds fuel related...some kind of vapor lock possibly..you might want to have your injectors cleaned or run cleaner for a few tanks of gas, check your intake manifold gaskets and make sure they are not leaking, check your trottle body and gasket, maybe even consider a throttle body spacer to allow a better fuel air mixture. install a K&N air filter to allow more cfm's (cubic feet per minute) of air into the intake all of these ideas are fixes you can do yourself pretty cheaply. the k&n is about 40-50 and the throttle body spacer about 100. hope it works out for you. let us know.

Dr_Vic850R
05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Any progress on this anyone? My 95 is also having the same problem, and with the summer coming it's only getting worse. Thanks

goliath11
05-27-2004, 03:38 PM
No progress here. I took my truck to a shop and they tested all the pressures at various points coming from different hoses, verified the alternator was good. My starter is new. I dunno.. they thought it could be an electrical component getting hot/soft.

badboy916
05-27-2004, 04:46 PM
hey goliath..just a thought..heres a cheap replacement that might help..install new battery cables and make sure the negative cable is making a clean connection to the chassis.

goliath11
06-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Is that something that would be effected by temperature though? :lol2:

badboy916
06-03-2004, 09:22 AM
ive seen some weird stuff caused by bad battery cables. if it were me i would def try replacing them. a relatively cheap replacement that might work.

samwise_i
10-06-2004, 05:42 PM

I do think that this may be the problem that I am having. Because the problem is fixed when I disconnect the IAT sensor which make the computer run the engine rich. The problem returns as soon a I reconnect the sensor.

If you want to check your own fuel pressure, how is that done. According to my shop manual you need a special banjo fitting and bolt to stack fitting on the fuel rail. Are there any after market parts for doning this?

Thanks,

Samwise.

mattmaxon
10-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Samwise......
The EFI relay was at fault.... In my case

RE: Fuel Pressure testing I purchased a INNOVA #3642 Fuel injection Pressure Tester

I have an AVI video of my starting problem if you want to download it.

goliath11
10-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I'd like to see it and compare to my truck :)

Add your comment to this topic!