WHAT is the best RPM's to shift on a 350Z?

kinglifer
09-05-2003, 11:12 AM
I was told 1: 3000 2: 3500 3 and up to 5: 4500 and 6th at almost readline with VDC off...

let me know. Be kind this information is helpfull

oh here is my car below...

STILL looking for a front lip!

DR_Gallup
09-05-2003, 05:01 PM
If you want max acceleration you definately want to shift at redline in every gear, particularly the lower ones where the the spread between the gears is the most. The only time I would short shift is on a road course where there might be too much wheel spin or you might be able to eliminate a shift by going through a corner a gear high. Otherwise, shifting at 3000 into second will be very slow.

However, for just tooling around town in traffic, you can short shift the hell out of it. It has a very wide powerband and pulls smoothly from low revs.

kinglifer
09-07-2003, 06:59 AM
If you want max acceleration you definately want to shift at redline in every gear, particularly the lower ones where the the spread between the gears is the most. The only time I would short shift is on a road course where there might be too much wheel spin or you might be able to eliminate a shift by going through a corner a gear high. Otherwise, shifting at 3000 into second will be very slow.

However, for just tooling around town in traffic, you can short shift the hell out of it. It has a very wide powerband and pulls smoothly from low revs.

Yeah but is that correct? I was told this car is 280HP at 4500RPMS... if that is correct then reving higher will loose the optimum performace I need no?

I am asking not trying to debate...

thanks.

Neutrino
09-07-2003, 08:49 AM
the general rule is that you want to shift gears in such a way that you keep the car in its best part of the powerband

the best way to find out your power curve is to go to a dyno, if not take to a strip and try different shifting points to see which way is faster

of course if neither of those its available just get a feel for the car and shift when you can feel that the car is running out of steam(most cars will run out of steam around the redline due to the cam profiles)

Sean005
09-22-2003, 12:49 AM
For racing purposes i shift like so...
1 5800
2 6200
3 6800
4 7000
5 7000
6 if u actually hit 6th it was a hell of a race.

I jus race for fun but ive been doin it for a while and i get good 0 to 60's shiftin like this, under 6 secs.

350Zyprexa
10-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Shifting:

Step 1: Punch the accelerator
Step 2: Release the clutch
Step 3: Depress the clutch
Step 4: Shift and punch the accelerator
Step 5: Release the clutch
Etc...etc...etc...

Tip: If you own a Z, or any car for that matter, you will soon realize that it is more a matter of feel and sound than numbers on a tachometer, this is the key to fast driving and power grasshoper, become one with the Z and it will set you free.

P.S. Most racers will tell you to shift near redlline or the nanosecond before the power drops, which can only be known by driving the car hard and finding that point

kinglifer
11-09-2003, 06:57 AM
woah. thanks!

350Zyprexa
11-09-2003, 03:23 PM
woah. thanks!

Sorry, didn't mean to be such a smartass.

igor@af
11-13-2003, 12:08 AM
the ideal shifting RPM really does depend from car to car.
For example, I dynoed mine the other day ( see thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152724 ) and found out that my Z does not have an HP curve at the top-end. Rather, it keeps on going up until we hit the redline, and from there I don't know what exactly it does as there is a rev-limiter at 6600. So in my case, for best results, I would need to switch at 6500-6600RPM for all gears.

thrasher
11-15-2003, 07:41 PM
the general rule is that you want to shift gears in such a way that you keep the car in its best part of the powerband

the best way to find out your power curve is to go to a dyno, if not take to a strip and try different shifting points to see which way is faster

of course if neither of those its available just get a feel for the car and shift when you can feel that the car is running out of steam(most cars will run out of steam around the redline due to the cam profiles)

power curves don't take into account the advantage that gearing gives you. in my opinion, you always want to shift at or near redline, unless your power drops off dramatically at 5250 rpm. gearing makes up for any power disadvantage in the higher rpm's in most cases

kinglifer
08-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Well it has been over a year and change and Lord knows I still dont know how to drive my Z the way it should be driven... But... I love it.

Its a good car. But I find it slow at the light. Ok tell me if you guys feel the same.

I dont want to sound like I am racing off at a light... BUT to beat the lady in a BMW X5 so I can get onto the highway I have to pratically (sp) floor it... (not really) but you get me. And of course the car roars...

My point is... why a Caravan... or a Grand AM can take off so quick... almost no noise...

When I try to do that... it DEF. sounds like I am trying to race... then at the next light you get all these eyes...

End result if you live in a small community... (light) dislikes (heavy) Car scrached up! LOL.

Just joking but you guys know what I mean.

Input?

power curves don't take into account the advantage that gearing gives you. in my opinion, you always want to shift at or near redline, unless your power drops off dramatically at 5250 rpm. gearing makes up for any power disadvantage in the higher rpm's in most cases
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/71252newride.jpg

DeleriousZ
09-02-2004, 01:57 PM
sorry, don't really have any useful info, but Igor could we get a moderator over in the old Z car forum?

Add your comment to this topic!