Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

W-30 ?

Stupendousmanz
09-04-2003, 11:30 PM
This summer i bought a 69 442 and it has all of the w-30 options (markings, red inner fenders, no power brakes ect...) but it dosent have the original engine, and the place i bought it from dosent know if it is a real w-30 (they didnt mark up the price=.) Is there any way i can tell w/out the original engine ?

Musclecarclub
09-12-2003, 04:10 AM
That is a tough one. Without the original engine, it is tough to figure out if it is a real W-30. I don't believe that it is indicated in the VIN.

rocket 455
11-07-2003, 12:38 PM
All "w" cars were made in Lansing Mich. So if it was made somewhere
else it's not a "w" car.
Also you can check the inside of the front fenders, all "w" cars
have a "W" hand writen on them. Not the fender liners, the fenders.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

James

This summer i bought a 69 442 and it has all of the w-30 options (markings, red inner fenders, no power brakes ect...) but it dosent have the original engine, and the place i bought it from dosent know if it is a real w-30 (they didnt mark up the price=.) Is there any way i can tell w/out the original engine ?

Drop Top
06-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Look for the build sheet. That is the best evidence to document your case. Look under the carpet, beneath the seat springs, sometimes underneath the plastic backs of the front seat, sometimes on top of the gas tank....It could be anywhere on the car.

Brutus_5150
07-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Ask the person they (a dealer I assume) bought the car from.

4speedsupreme
07-27-2004, 08:48 PM
You could do a title search with the state and if you are lucky find the original owner. I did this with a Road Runner several years ago. The original owner just about crapped himself when I called him.

jc83
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
doesnt the vin code contain the letter that states where the car was made.. i thought i read or heard from someone years ago about that search that one out to find if it was built in lansing also 455 equiped cars had a crossmember bar in the engine compartment to keep car from flexing...nice power in a 455 hey? does yours have that bar? connects from firewall to top of fender..lots of websites out there with info..goodluck

Drop Top
07-27-2004, 09:19 PM
if it is an Automatic trans it should have a special transmission. I know the 70-71 W-30 cars had an OW coded transmission. W-30's also had special rear suspension braces not found on any other models. I also recall additional fender braces were also used on big blocks too. Car should have a posi. Cowl tag may provide information. Vin # should be 344... for a 442 V8. Not much else to help.

mike88
08-13-2004, 01:05 AM
This summer i bought a 69 442 and it has all of the w-30 options (markings, red inner fenders, no power brakes ect...) but it dosent have the original engine, and the place i bought it from dosent know if it is a real w-30 (they didnt mark up the price=.) there any wayIs i can tell w/out the original engine ?
Check www.welcome 442 .com,tremendous amount of info.

Add your comment to this topic!