Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

350Z gets bad review

AC_A340-500
09-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Let me start off by saying that I'm actually a big fan of the 350Z. Anything with RWD nowadays gets my unconditional support. So when the 350Z was announced, I was, and still am excited. However:
BBC's automotive review program "Top Gear" totally gave the 350Z a bad review. I've never driven one, so I'm not to argue for or against the car. They said that the test car had a very soft suspension, thus indirect steering, cheap interior trim and compartments, a very heavy feel to it. They also said that the engine (made by Renault(!!) BTW), was loud and unrefined.
Why the heck would Nissan, who used to (and perhaps still does) build some of the most refined V-6 engines, put a Renault engine into the flagship sports car 350Z?? (Not that Renault engines are bad, but Nissan's V-6's were/are great, aren't they?).

Your thoughts...

Neutrino
09-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Let me start off by saying that I'm actually a big fan of the 350Z. Anything with RWD nowadays gets my unconditional support. So when the 350Z was announced, I was, and still am excited. However:
BBC's automotive review program "Top Gear" totally gave the 350Z a bad review. I've never driven one, so I'm not to argue for or against the car. They said that the test car had a very soft suspension, thus indirect steering, cheap interior trim and compartments, a very heavy feel to it. They also said that the engine (made by Renault(!!) BTW), was loud and unrefined.
Why the heck would Nissan, who used to (and perhaps still does) build some of the most refined V-6 engines, put a Renault engine into the flagship sports car 350Z?? (Not that Renault engines are bad, but Nissan's V-6's were/are great, aren't they?).

Your thoughts...

sorry but I have little respect that guys show.....heck he even said that the M3's sequential was rubbish (and that is arguably even better than the maggnetti marreli found in Ferraris)

also the VQ35 is a 100% nissan engine so obviously he has no ideea of what he is talking about

AC_A340-500
09-05-2003, 04:10 AM
He must have said "the engine is the same one used in the Renault Vel Satis" as a reference, seeing as that there are no other Nissan models over here that use that particular engine. It appears that it's the same engine (basically) as offered in certain Infinity and Nissan Pick-up and Altima models. Indeed a Nissan engine. BTW, doesn't Renault own some or all of Nissan?

Also, how are you able to watch "Top Gear" in Utah? Just curious.

Neutrino
09-05-2003, 10:10 AM
He must have said "the engine is the same one used in the Renault Vel Satis" as a reference, seeing as that there are no other Nissan models over here that use that particular engine. It appears that it's the same engine (basically) as offered in certain Infinity and Nissan Pick-up and Altima models. Indeed a Nissan engine. BTW, doesn't Renault own some or all of Nissan?

Also, how are you able to watch "Top Gear" in Utah? Just curious.

well its true that that engine is used in a lot of nissans new cars...usually in lower performance trim...but that just denotes its versatility.....and it is no doubt one of the best V6's on the market....

and about top gear I downloaded a bunch of their stuff off the web. That is how i see it. But I watch it for the cars.....i don't like that guys atitude or his take on the cars...he acts like he has the last word on everything

I prefer much more Tiff's (don't know his other name) shows

DR_Gallup
09-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Renault does indeed own a controlling share of Nissan and the head of Nissan is a South American frog (Carlos Goshn (sp?)). However, the Z is 100% built in Japan with a 100% Japanese engine. The VQ35 is available in nearly every Nissan (and some Infinity) products in various states of tune. The VQ35 in the Z has the highest output. This engine has been on Wards 10 best engines list for several years (including as the 3 liter VQ30) and gets top marks by all the US press. The suspension is anything but soft, I have never heard anyone say it was undersprung! Maybe underdamped but never undersprung. The car is not light but it is not overweight either. I would not say the steering is indirect, just the opposite. The steering does have some weight to it but that is what you want in a sports car, not some overboosted crap with no feel. The only negative comment I can agree with is the interior is definately on the cheap side. But that is probably why I can afford it but not the BMW's and Audi's that the press love so much.

lonewolf350Z
09-06-2003, 06:58 AM
If you've never owned or test drive a 350Z to its full potential, then you'll never appreciate the power, suspension, and its ability to take on the curves on the road. :sunglasse I love my 350Z and the way it handles only wish they came in turbos :frown: You gotta own one and drive it like there's no tomorow to really appreciate the Z :cool:

z33guy
09-06-2003, 11:09 AM
The VQ series engines have been in the 10 best category for 8 or 9 years. Nissan is kinda known for some cheap interior parts and the paint on the Z is kinda egh. But for what you pay for, you cant beat it. If he doesnt like the car, he can get over it, hes not buying it for you. Test drive it yourself and youll forget everything that guy said.

350Zyprexa
10-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Renault?....ahem...ahem...

The sticker on my windshield promised that my engine and every other part on the car was built by industrious japanese men and robots...in order to assure me that I wasn't getting some crappy American or French product....I for one believe them.

If you read the sticker on a new 350Z it assures you of this...additionally it ads a lot of Hoo...Hah about how Nissan employs a bunch of lazy Americans to assemble sentras and pathfinders. Personally I'll take the Japanese and robots any day...

P.S. Renault at this time possesses neither the clout nor the inclination to influence the design or production of Nissan vehicles....do a little research into the automotive industry and its functioning and you will soon discover this to be true....buy a Z if you don't have one..otherwise..well...it should be obvious.

AC_A340-500
10-16-2003, 01:37 AM
The sticker on my windshield promised that my engine and every other part on the car was built by industrious japanese men and robots...in order to assure me that I wasn't getting some crappy American or French product....I for one believe them.

If you read the sticker on a new 350Z it assures you of this...additionally it ads a lot of Hoo...Hah about how Nissan employs a bunch of lazy Americans to assemble sentras and pathfinders. Personally I'll take the Japanese and robots any day...

That's funny! :p

longlivetheZ
10-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Renault was brought in for management and marketing purposes only and do not influence the cars or engines. That guy's a moron.

z33guy
10-23-2003, 09:02 AM
Renault was brought in for management and marketing purposes only and do not influence the cars or engines. That guy's a moron.

Renault's influence will be showing up very soon, but none of it is in the Z or any current nissans, i believe it will all come in the next model run for some cars and engines.

Sexy beast
10-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Renault?....ahem...ahem...

The sticker on my windshield promised that my engine and every other part on the car was built by industrious japanese men and robots...in order to assure me that I wasn't getting some crappy American or French product....I for one

Yeah, industrious Japanese men that are overworked and end up commiting suicide from working 90 hours a week.

longlivetheZ
10-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Renault's influence will be showing up very soon, but none of it is in the Z or any current nissans, i believe it will all come in the next model run for some cars and engines.

Oh really? What's that going to resault in? The story I got was that they were just brought in to manage Nissan since Nissan was in DIRE STRAITS at the end of the 90s.

350Zyprexa
11-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Yeah, industrious Japanese men that are overworked and end up commiting suicide from working 90 hours a week.

Just because they're slackers and only work 90 hours a week is no reason for them to get all down on themselves, being all dramatic and weepy-like, jumping out of windows, disemboweling, and other gruesome forms of intra-abdominal nastiness....I mean even though we all know the team can do better, let's not be all judgemental about it eh? They'll do better next time :smile: ; getting it tip-top like they always do....cheers!

Sexy beast
11-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Just because they're slackers and only work 90 hours a week is no reason for them to get all down on themselves, being all dramatic and weepy-like, jumping out of windows, disemboweling, and other gruesome forms of intra-abdominal nastiness....I mean even though we all know the team can do better, let's not be all judgemental about it eh? They'll do better next time :smile: ; getting it tip-top like they always do....cheers!

This is no joke, in Japan there are 30,000 suicides a year compared to the US with 20,000.... if you take into account the population difference this is a stagering number. Because of the bad economy in Japan, most companies have had to do a lot of layoffs...that means the workers that are still employed have to do the work of the unemployed so they work way over 40 hours a week and don't get payed the extra hours. I hope you Jap car lovers can live with yourselves. :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!