Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

airbrush/compressor stuff

Integra14
08-31-2003, 10:16 AM
hey i have a couple questions....

First off, im lookin in the market of airbrushes and compressors because my grandpa said that if i paint this giant shade (im a decent artist) then he would purchase an airbrush for me...

so i went lookin.. and i want to get an Iwata Eclipse gravity feed.. i heard those are amazing... but whats the diff between gravity and bottle feeding?

so i was lookin on ebay. and i saw that they have compressor, 2 single action and 1 double action airbrushes for like 70$!!!! its crazy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28111&item=2343540480

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19157&item=3143996891

are those compressors good?? because evven if i don't want the airbrushes, then i still get the good compressor right? I could sell the other airbrushes

I want to find a pretty cheap Decent one...... anyone understand

ae86_takumi
08-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Just to share my experience on airbrush and compressor - I have a Badger airbrush and Paasch compressor. Earlier this year I bought another airbrush and compressor.

Compressor:
I didn't like the Paasch compressor at all. Many people recommended that I buy a compact, general purpose air compressor from Walmart. I bought Cambell-Hausfeld that had 2-gallon reservoir. It's actually more quite than paasch that had no reservoir and no power. And much cheaper than paasch. To me, those small compressors designed for airbrushing are way overpriced and no good.

I liked the badger double action bottlefeed airbrush but too much pain to clean, too many parts, etc. So I bought a Aztek airbrush on ebay which many people recommended. It's easier to produce good result and simple design is much easier to maintain.

Search on this topic on this forum. Must read others opinion on this before you invest your hard-earned money. I feel like I wasted my money on the first compressor and the airbrush(good brush but didn't suit me well).

malsheem
08-31-2003, 12:36 PM
Check out this thread I started awhile back. Good info about gravity-fed and bottle-fed brushes.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128040

After the thread, I went and got an Iwata Eclipse CS (gravity-fed) and an Iwata Smart Jet Compressor. In short, they kick ass. Sure, it's pricey, $90 for the airbrush, $200 for the compressor, but I'm worth it.

Only other airbrush I've used is an Aztec. They're okay for their price. My first compressor. Used canned air before this. Man, was that a mistake.

Hope this helps.

hirofkd
08-31-2003, 02:11 PM
I have Gunze L10 and Tamiya Revo, both are more than $100, but they are well worth the money. Both are very quiet, so I can use them at night.
It's just a matter of personal choice, but for durable tools like airbrush and compressor, I'd spend more to get a better quality one, instead of trying to save money.

Integra14
08-31-2003, 06:51 PM
aight, so its better to by a good aribrush and a compressor at a hardware store!!

ok... theyre not that expensive... NOW are theyre any requirements i should get on the compressor?

i might be gettin a craftsmen

Ragnarok043
08-31-2003, 07:37 PM
aight, so its better to by a good aribrush and a compressor at a hardware store!!

ok... theyre not that expensive... NOW are theyre any requirements i should get on the compressor?

i might be gettin a craftsmen

if you plan on getting one with an airtank, try to get the largest airtank possible. so that it reduces the amount of time you'd need to recharge airtank. plus you can the compressor for airtools as well.

Integra14
09-02-2003, 09:43 AM
alright..

so with the iwata airbrush,gravity fed.... How big of spraying radious does it have?

wihin the next year, i will be painting my brothers front bumper(1:1 dodge stealth R/t Twin Turbo).. would the iwata work, or should i get a Car painting one??

if so, i might just buy one of those(car sprayers) for car modelling... because i will be getting a car soon.

malsheem
09-02-2003, 10:41 AM
alright..

so with the iwata airbrush,gravity fed.... How big of spraying radious does it have?

wihin the next year, i will be painting my brothers front bumper(1:1 dodge stealth R/t Twin Turbo).. would the iwata work, or should i get a Car painting one??

if so, i might just buy one of those(car sprayers) for car modelling... because i will be getting a car soon.

The Iwata can spray about 1"-1.5" wide open.

I guess you COULD use the Iwata for a 1:1 :smile: (it'd take forever). Get sprayer that is specially designed for cars.

Integra14
09-02-2003, 11:02 AM
alright so, car sprayer it is... 50$ and comes with 2 sapray guns.. bigger and smaller

Ragnarok043
09-02-2003, 02:30 PM
an airbrush wont cut it for spraying something that big, you need something with a wider spray pattern. i plan to get one of the Iwata spray guns myself for autobody painting.

Add your comment to this topic!