Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

weird turn signal problem HELP!!!

geloyaderspiles
08-29-2003, 08:27 PM
i was driving my pontiac grand am(1996) tonight (lowbeams were on) and after i had gone straight for a while and had no problems, i put on my signal to turn right and nothing happened....the light didnt go on and there was no noise. i tried to left to see if that worked and it didnt. i then tried to put on my hazard lights and those didnt work. i then drove around for 10 minutes without them working. i pulled off the road and flicked the high beams a few times and they worked. then i tried to use the turn signal with the high beams on and it worked. i was on mainly dark roads so i used the high beams and was able to use the turn signal. about 20 minutes later the signal was working fine with the lowbeams on again.
i have no clue why this would happen and it seems pretty weird to me.

PLEASE REPLY!

kevin2811
09-08-2003, 01:33 AM
You may have a loose wire connecting to turn signal bulb area

samminator2002
10-12-2003, 10:10 AM
I had the same problem with my 2001 Grand AM SE. It turned out to be the relay switch for my hazards. It was wierd, but once that was replaced, I've never had the problem again. If not that one, try the signal light relay (unless the signal lights and the hazards use the same relay).

StarJammer
10-18-2003, 11:32 PM
:banghead: I have a simular problem with my signal. I use my signals which seem to work but after I turn if off or it goes off because I turned. A few seconds later I hear the ticking again like I had it on but I don't. Also, later while driving without using the turn signal I hear the sound again. It sounds like it is coming from behind the air vents just above the radio.

I have a 2001 Grand Am GT. If it's the flasher or relay where are these exactly? I have seen several talking about it but not a definite answer where.

Anyone know what this is???

:banghead:

GMMerlin
10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
The hazard switch above the radio is the control for your turn signal functions.
That is where the clicking sound is coming from.

StarJammer
10-19-2003, 10:50 PM
I just read that GM has recalled the Hazard switch that controls the turn signals so everyone can get it for free. Links are :

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/safety/news_issues/releases/recall_090503.html

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND AM Year : 2001
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V327000 Recall Date : AUG 27, 2003
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HAZARD FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS:SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 670740
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE HAZARD WARNING SWITCHES THAT MAY EXPERIENCE SOLDER JOINT CRACKING CAUSED BY RAPID TEMPERATURE TRANSITIONS AND THE SOLDERING PROCESS. IF SOLDER JOINT CRACKING OCCURS AND RESULTS IN AN OPEN CIRCUIT, THE TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LAMPS BECOME INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE.
Consequence:
WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ARE INOPERATIVE, THE DRIVER CANNOT USE THEM TO SIGNAL INTENT TO TURN THAT COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HAZARD WARNING SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03043. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Thanks to all who replied... Hey guys check out the site at link above for recalls for your make and model. I see some others that several where talking about.

:iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!