Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Taking out my thermostat

Doughnutdemon
08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
I am having a problem with overheating which I believe is being caused by my thermostat. I am trying to order a Nismo thermostat (it opens at a lower temp than the stock one) but it'll take a couple weeks at least.

What I want to get a sense of is the pros and cons of taking out the one I have now and leaving it out. As far as I know:

Pros: I don't get a warped or cracked head.

Cons: It takes longer to warm up in the morning.

Can anyboody help. BTW the car is a R32 GTS-t Skyline, RB20DET engine.

SkylineUSA
08-28-2003, 03:04 AM
Also your fuel milage might suffer, at least with the Mass Air systems that I work on it will.

You really should not run into any problems. Do it for the time being, just make sure that is the problem.

Take the thermostat out, and throw it into a pot of boiling water, if it opens its good. I was just chasing the same problem last month in my buddies Celica. It ended up bein the radiator.

I hope this helps.
Tony

Doughnutdemon
08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks, SkylineUSA. I've had the radiator checked (it's only a year old anyhow) and the pump is showing no signs of failure. I've replaced the radiator fan and the auxiliary electric fan circuit has been intentionally shorted to keep the fan on all the time.

It's a kind of bizarre problem, actually. The temp gauge just sits higher than it's usual mark under normal conditions, but I can watch the oil pressure gauge and get an idea of what's happening. In heavy traffic or if I turn the air con on, oil pressure slowly falls until it's virtually zero at idle, as if the oil is getting really hot and losing viscosity. Then the temp gauge will start rising a bit, and the car will start running like a pig.

I don't think the fuel economy can get much worse than it is now - I get under 300kms to a tank.

I will run some cooling system flush through the system and pop out the thermostat and see what happens. Worse thing is I might have to pop it back in, but I have lots of gasket paper and lots of time :frown: In any case, I will shortly order the NISMO thermostat.

SkylineUSA
08-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Coolant Flush is a waste of money. Just get the garden hose out, and flush it that way.

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!