Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chrome Rims

2kAccord
08-27-2003, 03:14 PM
I own a 00 Accord coupe, with manual transmission. My friend told me that putting chrome rims on my car (like 18 or 19 inch) would mess up the transmission b/c of the extra weight or something. I used to own a 99 Neon and it had 17 inch chrome rims but I never had any problem with the transmission. So I'm just wondering if what he is saying is true or not. Will it have any effect on my transmission, and does the fact that is it a stick shift change anything? Thanks...

- Austin -
2kAccord

streetrcr45
08-28-2003, 01:43 AM
sorry but ive never heard of such a thing as different rims messing up your transmission.. im not to sure if 19's will fit in the wheel well though...might have to shave it.. not sure.. .tahs just my :2cents:

wagsaccordsir
09-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Actually the only serious problem you can run into by putting bigger rims and tires on a car besides clearance issues, is that your ABS System may not operate correctly. This is because the speed sensor will now read a different signal and in turn sends it back to the ABS unit incorrectly, in turn your ABS system may trip and disable itself. No biggie though as it will just default into the conventional method of braking. Just don't hit the brakes to hard other wise they will lock up on you, and then you may be in trouble. Takes a lil practice to get used to. I'm actually in the midst of a brake line conversion, taking the whole entire ABS system out and going with conventional style proportioning valves, so I got some education in the ABS and non ABS department. If you got any questions hit me up!

2kAccord
09-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Actually the only serious problem you can run into by putting bigger rims and tires on a car besides clearance issues, is that your ABS System may not operate correctly. This is because the speed sensor will now read a different signal and in turn sends it back to the ABS unit incorrectly, in turn your ABS system may trip and disable itself. No biggie though as it will just default into the conventional method of braking. Just don't hit the brakes to hard other wise they will lock up on you, and then you may be in trouble. Takes a lil practice to get used to. I'm actually in the midst of a brake line conversion, taking the whole entire ABS system out and going with conventional style proportioning valves, so I got some education in the ABS and non ABS department. If you got any questions hit me up!

Thanks Man...

Add your comment to this topic!